weekly Tillys 52 for 2018 Week 29 Round

Really like that, spot on focus and DoF, good background, very good for the theme

Cool image Tilly. No problem with the OOF lever in the foreground here. It works for me, it blends in with the mudguard mount which is extending out of the focal plane. Works well against the green background.

Week 8 Thick
I had planned on whipping some cream to get some nice thick peaks but couldn't resist getting out in the snow to get some shots. It was fun learning how to get shots properly exposed in these conditions and having to put my camera on manual mode was a nice change
Thick 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's good to try something different, and if you don't use Manual often, then that certainly is.
You could probably get the same effect by adding a stop or so of exposure compensation.
You certainly seem to have sufficient snow to call it 'thick'.

You could probably get the same effect by adding a stop or so of exposure compensation.
I'd not thought of doing it that way round. Thanks for reminding me :)

Thick - lovely slice of thick snow, so far I have escaped the snow where I am though it is bitterly cold still. And as tim says it is good to get out and try something new with the camera, its the best way to learn what the camera can and can't do.

Like the snow shot, the tight crop works you have the white balance spot on and it is right on theme.

Tilly

Plenty of snow around, nice exposure of the snow and good colour in the brick work.

Pete

Age - good Take on the Theme
Guard - Good PoV and the background works well
Thick - That is thick snow we have an inch or so here so I couldn't call it thick I like that the focus is at the corner

I love the thick snow, very well exposed!

Week 6 Sharp
Catching up on one I missed due to spending the little time I had that week playing with several ideas
Sharp by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Craig, Having a major catch up, then hope to try and stay a bit more up to date :rolleyes:

Stark - Poor tree looks like its had a bit of a tough time. Good find but maybe a little to busy at the bottom to be really stark but the top branches stand out well against the blue sky.
Over - Really like this one. Good choice to have it in B&W and I like just having the one word and button in focus
Age - Not sure about this, I don't think theres too much wrong with it but it just feels like there is something missing. I was once told if you were arranging a display of anything you should always do it in multiples of 3, so maybe its just that stuck in my head
Sharp - Like a little lego scene, wasn't sure about the big shadow in the bg but actually it makes me think that there is giant behind the lego man waiting to pick up the knife. If thats what you were going for it worked:D
Guard - I like this too, the lever at the front is a little distracting but I love the wheel and the mud guard against the green bg. dof is spot on I think
Thick - Nice white snow so good exposure and it is pretty thick. I think you must have had quite a bit more than us but to be honest thats not hard

:D

Thanks for the comments guys. I was planning on shooting this again in raw and having a go at raw processing so I'll move the Lego man to the blade end so I can get both in sharp focus. I'll post results when I get it done

I've shot Sharp again and moved things about so I could get the focusing better. I also shot it in Raw and had a go at processing that as well. I had to switch back to using Canons software for processing the Raw image as it was much easier to use for this. This is the first time I've shot raw so any comments would be welcome. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting a re shoot of this theme it was done more to get comments on the raw processing
Sharp 2 jpeg by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Sharp 2 Raw by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Thick .... snow, whipping cream too, is difficult to work with. Wondering if you could have simplified it .... one corner of wall, snow on top, OOF green fence on top of that.

Sharp #2 (y)

Sharp, 2nd image is the better with the point be in focus.
Re the jpeg vs Raw I can't tell which are the better colours as there is nothing to refernce against, I would guess that the Blue on the legomans trousers are in between the jpeg and raw images you are showing, I don't know what sort of light you used or the whitebalance set, but with Raw, you can change the whitebalance on your computer (amongst many other options as well) so you can leave your camera white balance set to normal.

An abundance of snowdrops - like it. They are starting to come out all over the sides of the lanes now. Very nice

Abundance - Lovely picture. nice colours. Well balanced between the amount of white and purple flowers. Its a shame about the slightly dead flower hidden among the grass on the bottom left corner. other than that its a beautiful shot.

Its a shame about the slightly dead flower hidden among the grass on the bottom left corner.
I'm amazed any of them were still alive after the amount of snow that was on them a couple of days ago

Thats nice, I like the low angle and the mix of crocuses and snowdrops

Your sharp edits are much more improved with the focus being on the blade, so well done for having another play around with composition and getting something that works.
Abundance - love the colours and the low point of view, a nice find for the theme given the weather we all suffered with.

Thanks Dave. I like shooting raw and processing them. I like the depth of adjustments that can be made. I always wondered why I couldn't use all the adjustment options on Canon's digital photo professional 4 editing software. I now know they are for raw processing.

Hi Tilly,

Sharp - I'm going to be contrary and prefer the first version you posted. Why? because the very oof top right in the later shots doesn't feel right to me.
As I say... Contrary.

Abundance - nicely done, colours are good, the DoF works and it's good to see a bit of spring finally :)

I see what you mean about the top right of my Sharp reshoots Tim. Looking at it again I could have had the knife at more of an angle to get at tighter crop or shot from a lower angle to get in closer to fix this. If I'm sat at my desk bored in the future I might have another look at it :)

Your image for Guard is really well-taken, Craig. Composed to concentrate the eye straight on the mud guard and good use of DOF to make it and the tyre stand out against the background, which suits the subject well.

I also like the layer of snow for Thick (I'm quite jealous, we only had a couple of inches for one day!) and the flowers are perfect for the theme and also well composed to show the lovely colours at eye level (y)

Spring is in the air (maybe). Nice lot of flowers, they did very well to survive the snow. I think a lot were killed off here with the freezing weather. Nice mix of the purple and white and good dof (y):D

Thanks for all the nice comments about my shot for abundance guys, I really like this shot and how it turned out after processing. I do love how close-up shots look with the Yongnuo 50mm 1.8

Nice Colours involved in this image, Out of focus flowers in the background look good, but I feel you could extended the DOF to get better focus on the flowers near the front. It appears that your focus is best on the purple flower to the left of the picture. There is no exif info for the lens you used so I have to guess that the aperture was was not optimal for DOF.

Pete

Week 10 Heavy
Took this shot while out for a walk with the family on mothers day but wanted to see if I could find anything else for the theme before posting it
Heavy by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Thanks Dave, i have a confession though this is 2 shots. I'd got a shot of the rocks that looked fine but the shot with my in the rocks looked too light. I had to cut him out and paste him on to good shot which was easier to do than I thought it would be. It took a bit of resizing him to get it looking right. I'm happy with the final result

Well done on the editing, I wouldn't have know! Works well for the them, interesting rocks and a good pose too

Interesting rock and you lad makes the shot with the pose and sense of scale, good edit

Back