weekly Tillys 52 for 2018 Week 29 Round

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a couple of shots I wanted to try for this weeks theme but the weather has been shocking so I've not been able to get out with my camera at all and had to make do with a shot inside my house
My Area by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Nicely lit, loads of detail, love your wall paper :)

Adaptability is crucial for the 52, as you are already discovering Tilly.....

Great shot Sir, and a good idea considering the weather.(y)

George.

Its a perfect image for the theme subject wise its "your area" there has been a couple more like it but this one has interesting wallpaper (y)

Hehe, I'm with Allan on this, loving the wallpaper.
As Mark says, we have to adapt and think on the hoof during the 52, as circumstances (often the weather) conspire against us.
And anyway. Good work with the exposure as I can't really see any noise and you were at 800iso. I'm not sure shots on my 1100d were ever that clean.
I will ask why you went to 800iso, as with a 4 sec exposure you must have been on a tripod, so a 30 sec exposure would have come out about the same at 100iso.
(Not that it matters in this case) :)

Thanks for the comments Tim and yes I was using a tripod. I'd give for a higher iso due to the lighting in the room being fairly poor. Yeh I should have probably set the ISO lower and had a slower shutter speed to compensate. It was the first time of used my tripod, got it for Xmas so I'm still getting used to the settings I can adjust while using it instead of hand held. Thanks again for the comments I'll keep them in mind

Welcome back Tilly

Mission control, the heart of your area. (y)

As Dave says, good to keep the sky out of the shot for this one, given it's overall greyness.
Nicely on focus and on theme. with the distressed walls adding to the shot.
I may have been tempted to go in close on the hinges or the lock + wall thought to avoid the clutter and to be a bit more abstract.
But that may just be me and my attempts to push the boundaries of the themes.

:agree: ... something like that top hinge and just a small (ish) part of the gate would appeal to me.

Right on theme for the subject, although I find the shot as it is a bit too busy.

As above, it's on theme and I did wonder if you could have tried shooting it straight on, but it looks as though there is another building behind it, which would have been distracting. I'm guessing you've picked the angle with the clearest area behind it, and the light blue colour helps it to stand out from it's surroundings.

Thanks for the comments guys. I had to go for a gate close by as the weather was against me again this week. I'll be glad when it's summer :). My daughter got some close ups of the gate, she's only 4 years old and she loves taking pictures with her camera

Nice focus on the gate I wonder if a Black and white conversion might suit it.

Week 2 People
Took this earlier of 2 people walking on the grass so they didn't slip on the icy path. Nothing special really but I haven't been anywhere with lots of people this week
People by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

As you say. I had the same problem because with the weather there aren't many people about. I went into my local town to take long-lens pictures of the crowds in the high street -- there weren't any.

I'd planned on trying to get some long shots of people in town sat drinking coffee n chatting etc but didn't get the chance because of the weather and work. Will have to keep this one in mind when get a re-shoot :)

If there aren't the people about, you can't get the shots, so fair play getting something on theme.
The Chelsea tractor does seem to be the in focus part of the image though, rather than the pedestrians.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me, no clear focus and the people don't look as if they belong into that photo...

Gate(d) - I can only really echo what the others have said about the image.

People - Sadly this image does not work for me, was wondering if you had the ability to capture the shot from a different angle, but it is a box ticked and you can move on to the next themes.

Week 3 In Stark Contrast
I've been wanting to take a picture of this tree for ages and I've been waiting for a theme to come up that I could use the shot for. The stark contrast between the 2 parts of this tree came to mind as soon as I saw the theme but its taken me all week to get out and shoot it due to work and the weather
Stark by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Nicely on theme for stark. There's some blurry lines running across the centre of the frame, have you cloned out some power lines or something?

I think the background to the break is a little busy to really make this stand out. It's lost against the wall.
Get lower and shoot against the sky perhaps?

Nicely on theme for stark. There's some blurry lines running across the centre of the frame, have you cloned out some power lines or something?
Yeh I have Jon, hadn't realised how bad a job of it I'd done until posting it on here. I'll have another look at it later and do it better

Last edited:
Well on theme Tilly. Would a pace to the left and lower POV isolated the tree a little more perhaps? Damn power lines get everywhere don't they:D

Thanks for the comments and advice guys, I'll have another go at this shot when I get chance and see if I can improve on it. A walk up the field will be needed to get a better angle on it so I don't get as much in the background so I'm not sure if that'll be possible. I'll have a look though

The background is a bit busy for my taste, could you have taken that photo from a different angle? Or with a wider aperture?

Don't beat yourself up about the lines, flickr can make things look different (the shadows I added on gate(d) don't show as well on flickr as in LR natively).
A few minutes with the clone brush and content aware fill fixes it though :)
I like the idea, and it was a good spot.

People - well done for getting out and having a go shame about the weather keeping people inside. I agree the main focus is the cars maybe a portrait crop removing most of the cars would bring them to be the focal point.
Stark - great find for the theme and well done for attempting to remove the power lines (I would have left them in and then been told I should have cloned them out) I am sure a bit more tweaking and you'll have it right.

I agree ... the Stark tree could be in a more desolate setting ... if poss.

Week 4 Over
A close up of my Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp. I've put it in black and white because I like how it looks and when I thought about taking this shot this is how it looked in my head, It took me several shots over a few days to finally get to the finished product and it might not be to everyone's taste but I really like it
Overdrive by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back