weekly Tilly's 52 for 2020 Week 15 Snappers Choice and 16 First Initial

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys thanks for having me back for another year. Here are my shots for week 1 and 2 shot using my Sony Nex-5 with a Brightin Star 35mm f1.7 lens and processed in Lightroom.
Week 1 Local
I took this just up the road from my house, it's one I've fancied taking for a while and this gave me a reason to go out and get it. If you notice any grain it's because I add it in post, I just like how it looks and it makes me feel like I'm shooting film :)
Week 1 Local by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Week 2 Pleasure
This is just a quick shot I took of my new RC Land Rover rock crawler. I've not had it long and the Camel yellow bodyshell arrived yesterday and it's been good fun working on it. There will no doubt be more photo's of this posted in the future when i do more work on it and take it out on the local trails but I had to make do with my front room for this shot due to todays weather.

Week 2 Pleasure by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Good to see you back Craig (y)

I like the local image as it reminds me of the old bread advert with the lad on the bike. Loving the looking down POV plus a bit of detail in the sky, might of cropped off the sign on the right but still a good shot.

Pleasure it is a great pleasure and fun to have the RC so not fussed about the messy BG.

Thanks Dave, it's nice to be back. Thanks for the comments, that was the look I was trying to get with local so I'm glad it came across that way to you

Local : You certainly achieved the look you were going for enhanced I think by the B/W.
Pleasure : Lots of pleasure to be had from that, what a shame the weather kept you indoors.

Hi Craig.

Great shots to start your 52 challenge!(y)
Your local image is spot on, and really does have a 'bygone era' feel to it. Very well processed, well done!
Your pleasure image is pretty good too, nicely lit and great colours. The background isn't too distracting, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it very soon....looks great fun!

I particularly like your local interest shot Craig. Black and white works well and the path leading in to the shot is just right.

Local nice use of the path to pull you into the image lovely mono conversion.

Pleasure not sure about this one (sorry) I find the B/G distracting it's fighting for my attention other the main subject the truck which is a shame. I think it would be better if it was taken outside on a garden or some grass (of course I know this wasn't possible if it was dark or raining.

A good start to your 52.
If only there were no cars parked in the road, nothing you can do about it, I know, but it would really have given the photo that old vintage look. It's still a good photo and the black and white is a good choice, it might even have worked in colour with some careful processing.

Hey Tilly, welcome back :)
Local - Works for me, I think B&W works for somethign like this as it helps remove distractions. In colour, the cones would have stood out and the signs may have been annoying, but like this it all good :)
Pleasure - As you say, it's a bit of a snapshot. it's nice looking thing and the light helps to hide the background but I'm afraid the background does still sit there waving and shouting "look at me!" ;) I guess you were rushing to get it into the right week, so PABD eh? :)

I really like the local shot. Well composed with lots of leading lines, and B&W processing works well.

But I'm no big fan of your pleasure shot, bit too messy in the background...

Week 3 Tool
I had fun trying to get this shot of my drill right and I'm happy with how it turned out. I never really do any close ups so this was something new for me. I shot it at several different f stops but settled on f/5.6 as my favourite.
Week 3 Tool by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Like that a lot, very inventive way of taking the image.

That's great! Close with the power tools... Great detail and sharpness in the center, and I like the oof yellow border.

Interesting angle Craig, nice and sharp where it needs to be.

A great start to your 52 project!

Local is a really nice shot which works so well and presses all my mono buttons :)
I like the RC Landy for pleasure but agree with others that the BG is a bit of a distraction.
Your tool photo is excellent and very creative. Well thought out.

Thanks for the comments on my shot for tool guys, bring on Thursday :)

Like the drill! Looks really good with the shallow DoF! When I first glanced at it I thought it might have been a calligraphy universal nib holder - I like photos that make you look twice!

Nice take on the theme, good use of DoF to really pull you into the focus point of the image.

Imaginative take on the theme - had to do a double take. Nicely sharp and great colour.

Nie one to chuck into the theme :)

Welcome back Craig :) That scene for Local Interest gets you off to a strong start with interest from front to back, the narrow road to lead your eye through the scene and monochrome was a good choice to give it an aged feel. The image for Pleasure is not so strong and the background is a but distracting, but the car itself is a bold colour and I look forward to seeing images of it in action.

Your Tool image is perfect for the theme and focus is absolutely spot on! It can't have been easy to get it so pin sharp at the front and then gently falling off around the edges and it leaps off the screen.

Very creative point of view, and a great image...love it!
Your decision to use f/5.6 was spot on...I really like how you've blurred the coloured plastic casing, and kept the focus on the metal bits.
Did you use two lights?
The bottom left looks like it was lit with a cool light, and the top left a warmer one.
Cleverly done Craig!(y)

Did you use two lights?
The bottom left looks like it was lit with a cool light, and the top left a warmer one.
Cleverly done Craig!(y)
The top was lit by my desk lamp which has a warmer looking bulb and the bottom was lit with just the light in the room.

Week 4 Discard
A block of discarded garages a few mins walk for my house. There used to be some nice cars stored in these when i was young, i guess not now though :)
Week 4 Discard by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some nice images. Discarded is really well composed, I like the way you used the track as a leading line into the image and the garages being (pretty much) on the 1/3rd line makes a nice balance.

I remember those ( well not those specifically :D ) from my childhood.
"Mine" are now maisonettes.

Nicely composed Tilly.

Funnily enough we still have garages like that round here. Garages rather than lockups.
Not big enough for modern cars though :/
Good use of the path to direct your view through the photo, though I must admit I initially stopped at the object by the puddle, thinking that was something that had been discarded.

Definitely on theme.. discarded and a sad waste of unused space. Nice composition and variation of colour in the doors.

I wouldn’t say these have been discarded - unless they arrived on a big lorry and were dumped there. But still - it’s a nicely composed shot! :)

Thanks for the comments guys

Back