Time-lapse hardware/software

Jimmy_Lemon

TPer Emeritus
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Lo all,

I have got a project that requires some time-lapse photography. I have done some before in the past but that was standing behind the camera firing off shots every now and again....and it worked ok, but I am sure there must be an easier automated way.

Ok so the question is: Do any of you know of anything to automate this on a 350d? Do any remotes come with interval timers? does anyone use any software on a pc connected to the camera??

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sorry Jimmy - only method I know is using the TC wired remote. I'm not sure the 350 accepts this (it's a while since had the 350 - sorry)

the 20D can do it teathered to a laptop with the canon software, not sure about a 350d.

Looks like I am going to have to stand behind the camera for 2 days doest it :( bugger! ah well!

That or buy a normal remote and just keep firing off shots when I remember!

The electronics to create your own would probably be fairly simple, just make a circuit that connects the switch at a specified time. Its Highschool technology lessons all over again!

:| Didn't do any electronics at school. Closest we got was making a light bulb light up on a circuit in science! No idea how I would make something like that :(

look for canon capture on the software that come with the 350. I had it with the 300D and the 5D

Steve

Not cheap but probably the cheapest way to to get automated timelapse photography. It provides a maximum of 99 exposures with a maximum of 99 hours between each exposure. Once you've set it up - press the button once and leave it to get on with the job.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1856

Not selling my old old camera but if 2Mp is enough the Kodak DC290 does timelapse. They seem to go for about £20 on ebay and mains adaptors for £3. You can load a script into it for non standard time intervals and continuous operation. Frustratingly slow camera these days but a cheap option that you don't need to worry too much about being stolen :)

looks nice CT, but from the reviews I have just seen it doesnt seem to support the 350d :(

I am tempted to get one of the Zigview Twin-1 Infra Red Release Kits I have been looking at for a while. No timer but has 100ft range and as I am not going to let the camera out oif my sight then it should be ok....will just have to keep remembering to fire it!

as a side note, all these triggers/remotes talk about the 3pin canon plugs...the 350 has a little socket with a pcture of a trigger but it doesnt look like it would want 3 pins....am I just being stupid?

Not selling my old old camera but if 2Mp is enough the Kodak DC290 does timelapse. They seem to go for about £20 on ebay and mains adaptors for £3. You can load a script into it for non standard time intervals and continuous operation. Frustratingly slow camera these days but a cheap option that you don't need to worry too much about being stolen :)

That is tempting as the final sequence is for standard def PAL, so 2mp would still be more than enough......hmmmm

It was quite advanced in its day. It actually has an operating system that can take programs. I've played Doom on mine! Screen is so poor on the back it is not a lot of fun...still impressive it can do it though :)

as a side note, all these triggers/remotes talk about the 3pin canon plugs...the 350 has a little socket with a pcture of a trigger but it doesnt look like it would want 3 pins....am I just being stupid?

This is the socket on the 20D which takes the TC-80N3 plug, and a pic of the plug itself.

The 1 Series cameras have the same socket.

remote.jpg

Hmm...CT that is nothing like the plug I have on the 350 - so guessing even thought the Zigview thing says it works on the 350 it don't. Unless that 3 pin socket is hidden somewhere very strange! :( The socket on the 350 looks like a audio mini jack socket :|

Have re-read the site and it seems that it does say that the wired version is the only thing that would work on the 350! poop! looks like its a case of hunting out the software that came with the camera...or standing next to the camera :p (or maybe purchasing a new camera!)

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

You could get the trial version of this software from this link. :D

CLICKY

You'd just need a laptop if you're going out of doors.

You could get the trial version of this software from this link. :D

CLICKY

You'd just need a laptop if you're going out of doors.

D'oh! knew I had forgotten something....I bookmarked that site when it was posted earlier then completely forgot about it. Does look good!

Back