Critique Time Trial Cycling.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I have had few goes at photographing this sport, and i have finally grown a set and posted a few pictures.
The weather was great, i had a good spot, to see them coming, plenty of time to get ready.
They were going past me at approx 25 - 30 mph, so i have been told.
Shots taken with Canon 7D mk1 & 24-70 2.8L
I did find getting the panning right this close up to the bikes a difficult, as they were up to me and gone past me pretty quick, but i guess practice, practice and bucket loads more practice will improve things.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks.

Time Trial Cycling by Mike Mayo, on Flickr

Focus alongside panning spot on good set photos.
GEORGE.

Hi Mike, top tip for panning that I find really useful is to lock the focus at the point you want to get the pan, like on the ground or whatever a few metres in front of you, then use a single focus point and look through the view finder and put that focus point on the riders head (adjust the focus point so the composition works as they ride past), then keep that point locked on their head moving the camera and snap away as they go past. I use that technique all the time and pretty much get a sharp image every time at about 1/30th, the shots below are at 1/13th and 1/10th respectively to give you an idea!

p3pb13417017.jpg
p3pb13130932.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice shots Mike, look nice and crisp.

Of the 3 shots, # 1 or me, I think the slight angle coming towards you and the framing work well :)

All awesome. No. 1 and 3 for me just due to the slight angle away in no. 2 but can't fault the focus.

Hi Mike, top tip for panning that I find really useful is to lock the focus at the point you want to get the pan, like on the ground or whatever a few metres in front of you, then use a single focus point and look through the view finder and put that focus point on the riders head (adjust the focus point so the composition works as they ride past), then keep that point locked on their head moving the camera and snap away as they go past. I use that technique all the time and pretty much get a sharp image every time at about 1/30th, the shots below are at 1/13th and 1/10th respectively to give you an idea!

p3pb13417017.jpg
p3pb13130932.jpg
Cheers Sam will give that a go, top images btw

Both sets are great images, I love attending these events and am still practicing the art of panning and achieving good focus. I'll try those tips MRMWM cheers

Back