Timelapse Flicker

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Apologies if the wrong section

I'm filming some time lapse for the distribution center we're having for work. The time lapse is indoors of racking being erected for pallets. No artificial lighting, just the sun through the skylights.

I set up Monday morning and went back late afternoon. After playing in LR, exporting and then dragging into AE, I noticed some flicker. So I did a little research online.... (Settings were AV mode at F16 giving a 1 second exposure, and 30 second intervals)

I have never suffered from flicker in previous attempts, which have all been outdoors.

Anyway on to today. I went for max aperture in AV mode which has given 2.5-3 seconds exposure time (30 second intervals). I thought by having a longer exposure, it'd help reduce noticeable flicker.

When I looked into flicker issue on Monday, it mainly discussed fluorescent lighting and to have an exposure greater than 1/50 to allow a cycle of electricity. Now this has got me thinking. To allow for a long duration, the camera is plugged into the mains. Could this be the cause of the flicker?

Last edited:
Hi, you might have more luck in the video section. The flicker most people have issues with is sunrise and sunset as the camera, even with +/- 1/3EV can still cause flickering to the eye. If I'm correct, it's probably just variation in the light causing the flicker.

Good luck,

Gary

Your lens will have to stop down every time it takes a shot and at f/16 even small variations in the accuracy of the stopping down will have a significant impact on the amount of light finding its way to the sensor. It's is generally better to use a much wider aperture with time laps to lessen these stopping down errors. Might be worth consulting a D of F table to see if you can get away with a large aperture.

Back