Tim's TP 52 for 2018 Challenge (wk 12 juxtaposition added)

Both are good for the theme for very different reasons I like the vast expanse of nothing behind the second one

Both of those gate shots work for me Sir, with the first one being very creative, Well Done.(y)

George.

Perhaps, even if abstract, it needs to be more obvious.... here is take two - "Gate to nowhere"

There's no problem at all with abstract, but your second image also works well as a more literal take on the theme. Like Allan, I like the expanse of nothingness beyond the gate (y)

Last edited:
Hi Tim, Love your firework shot. I particularly like that its not just about the fireworks, there are lots of other things to look at too :D Nice one for gate too. I like the abstractness (I think thats a word) and the light hitting all the cobwebs is great. Well spotted :)

Thanks David, good to know! Dusty gate was last night, I'm assuming we need to shoot each week once the theme is announced?
Yes sorry ... I thought you were posting an example of abstract, asking if it was suitable ... and it sure is! I love it. (y)

... and another gate, excellent! ... making the best of poor natural light, I think?

... and another gate, excellent! ... making the best of poor natural light, I think?

Yes, it was a foggy inversion so looked like nothing there (it’s a lake). Only had to go up a few meters for clear sky.

It's the first one for me. Though if it were possible (I don't know what the gate was like) i'd have like not to have chopped any of the holes in half. But thats just my opinion on it. I like it how it is too.

Think I’d have to black out some holes to do that, I’ll give it a try see how it looks.

I like your 3rd photo for gate, very abstract, very symmetric (y)

Week 2 - people. I managed to get to Wengen for the slalom races on Sunday, something I've wanted to do for years. Here is a behind the scenes look at the winner, world champion and all-round ski-god Marcel Hirscher preparing to speak to the media after collecting his trophy.

Wengen Slalom 2018
by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

Sounds like a great day out Tim. I think I'd have liked to get in closer on the central group and crop out that white ?cable. Also those two red leg extensions keep distracting me:D

Nice image for the theme Tim nice bright colours.

I do find the wire cutting across the image slightly distracting.

Good points about the distractions - I was trying to get them out of the way. Unfortunately Marcel only faced this way with a smile for a split second. On balance I decided to go with it as I like the story - he’s just won (fifth time in a row), trophy and gifts laying in the snow and getting ready for the interviews. Have to get in position quicker next time to avoid the distractions, and leaning these things is why I’m doing the 52 challenge.

Sounds like a great day out Tim. I think I'd have liked to get in closer on the central group and crop out that white ?cable. Also those two red leg extensions keep distracting me:D

Thank you - I’ve started trying to clone out the wire and the red legs in photoshop. It’s quite painstaking, might take some more days get before I get time to finish. I’ll post it up if the result is any good.

As above I’m attempting to remove...and learning a lot about photoshop in the process :)

Nice colourful behind the scenes shot of a busy scene

Thank you - it’s quite fast moving. Everyone is rushing to get their shots / footage and some were reporting live on TV too.

Maybe there is an option to crop in closer, but I don't think it needs it, this seems a good piece of reportage to me.
How cool to be there.

I did try a crop but you loose the sense of the scene, so trying to clone out. Let’s see if it’s possible...

A nice colourful shot that Tim and not a type of image you see every day, sounds a great day/opportunity like it :)

Thank you :) I got the shots I needed of the race itself too (more like the kind you do see everyday) if anyone is interested I can post a couple of examples of those too.

Tim, the threme was gate, not grated ;),

Its a nice abstract, I like the cobwebs, nice contrast.
The second picture while on theme is I find a bit boring due to the amount of grey sky.

Pete

Nice shot for people, it's a shame the cables were there but apart from that I really like it

Nice colourful shot of the media waiting for the champion!

Hi Tim, liking your people shot but leaving the cables in takes my eye off this good colourful shot.

Hi Tim, sounds like a special occasion, which adds interest to the photo. Shame about that white line but sometimes these things can’t be helped. Shots of the race sound interesting and would work for the theme too.

Nice shot for people, it's a shame the cables were there but apart from that I really like it

Same here...nice shot but the wire detracts...

OK by popular demand I've had a try in photoshop and here is first attempt at a cleaned up version

20180114-5D4_7116-Edit-Edit
by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

Back