Tinsley Park Cemetery

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I went out for a quick walk around Tinsley Park Cemetery a week or so ago with the Holga and a roll of HP5+. The cemetery has a very distinctive building at the entrance with two spires, and despite it now sitting next to a clutter of modern industrail-type units, it's quite possible to get photos that omit these.

FILM - Approaching Tinsley Park Cemetery
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - The house by the cemetery

FILM - Threshold

FILM - Fallen

FILM - In memory

FILM - Gravestones

FILM - Departing Tinsley Park Cemetery

FILM - Another four ravens

Last edited:
Not entirely sure the Holga effect is necessarily helpful in all of these, but it suits some (like the last) very well. (y)

Stunning images Nige as always, you would struggle to get images with such atmosphere on a modern camera it looks as if the Holga was the ideal choice ! Although a pixel peeper may have a heart attack at my comments.

Last edited:
Stunning images Nige as always, you would struggle to get images with such atmosphere on a modern camera it looks as if the Holga was the ideal choice ! Although a pixel peeper may have a heart attack at my comments.

Thanks Brad. What the Holga lacks in technical quality, it makes up for in charm I think. It doesn't always work out, but every roll I've put through it has managed to delight me in some way.

Seeing your photo of the facade struck a bell and here is the same place taken in about 1908.
IMG_2240_Fixed_Resized.jpg
Low-fi magic lantern slide, from a collection of about 300 magic lantern slides I was given about 25 years ago, many of which were taken around Tinsley as it happens. Others were taken in Manchester and Blackpool.
I don't have the slides anymore as I gave them to a collector I know and trust not to break the collection up.
I do have a full set of scans of them archived on DVD somewhere, I'll try to find them. Maybe a few giggle-bytes worth of scans but I could post you a copy of the DVD(s) if you are interested.

Seeing your photo of the facade struck a bell and here is the same place taken in about 1908.
View attachment 271248
Low-fi magic lantern slide, from a collection of about 300 magic lantern slides I was given about 25 years ago, many of which were taken around Tinsley as it happens. Others were taken in Manchester and Blackpool.
I don't have the slides anymore as I gave them to a collector I know and trust not to break the collection up.
I do have a full set of scans of them archived on DVD somewhere, I'll try to find them. Maybe a few giggle-bytes worth of scans but I could post you a copy of the DVD(s) if you are interested.

Thanks Peter, yeah - I'd be interested - and my Dad would probably like to see them too as he grew up in that area (although somewhat later than 1908 :)).

By the way, loved your Holga shots, but like something from The Omen aren't they.

It's the ravens that do it. :)

I found the backups. They were taken on a light box using my Canon 40D as RAW files and haven't been processed in any way. I've converted them to DNG format and I made an attempt to auto crop and straighten them in Photoshop but it doesn't work consistently enough to make it worthwhile I'm afraid. That's partly because some of the shots have bits of the copying rig visible outside the slide border.

Looking at the slides again I see that there are many which might be associated with Tinsley and quite a lot which self-evidently aren't. Each slide has location details written on the edge but I didn't make a note of them. Anyway, you might find them fascinating from an archival point of view as they are a complete, eclectic collection representing someones tastes before the First World War.

The total size if the zipped DNG files is about 4Gb so I can stick it on a DVD for you and post it if you PM your address.

I found the backups. They were taken on a light box using my Canon 40D as RAW files and haven't been processed in any way. I've converted them to DNG format and I made an attempt to auto crop and straighten them in Photoshop but it doesn't work consistently enough to make it worthwhile I'm afraid. That's partly because some of the shots have bits of the copying rig visible outside the slide border.

Looking at the slides again I see that there are many which might be associated with Tinsley and quite a lot which self-evidently aren't. Each slide has location details written on the edge but I didn't make a note of them. Anyway, you might find them fascinating from an archival point of view as they are a complete, eclectic collection representing someones tastes before the First World War.

The total size if the zipped DNG files is about 4Gb so I can stick it on a DVD for you and post it if you PM your address.

Thanks Peter. PM sent.

The Holga is possibly my fave camera. Love the effect. Great images by the way.

Back