Critique Tinted IR

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been reprocessing a lot of old aerial images recently, and would welcome an opinion on this one. It's a panorama from 4 shots taken on a K20D that was converted to IR at 830nm. As such, the original is mono. It is one of my favourite images, not due to any artistic reasons, but because it is the only IR image I have taken (or seen) that shows the bottom of a body of water in detail. It shows part of the Bay of Bengal, near Chittagong in Bangladesh. I decided to try tinting the image, which I did in Lightroom and Photoshop, by blending 3 copies set at different white balances and playing with the individual colour channels. The green areas show plant life, the darker areas are the seabed.

I would very much appreciate opinions on whether the tinted version works, before I perhaps waste time messing around with other 830nm images.

Here's the original image I posted on Flickr when I took the image

Urirchar Island by Jon, on Flickr

And here's the tinted version

Urirchar Island, Bay of Bengal (IR)by Jon, on Flickr

I like both, thanks for sharing (y) But prefer the mono

Thanks for commenting! I like the colour version but consensus seems to favour the mono version......I will try a few more and see how they turn out.

original is very nice but the darks in the front closest to camera is toooo dark for me
the tinted on works much better as there is some definition to the front now the only niggle is the top left maybe select it and lower the red cast to it

Thanks Dave and Wayne, I have a version with more saturation but I preferred this one; I'll have another look

Difficult to choose for me, there's something in the colours I'm not quite sure about but the extra detail and contrast you've got in that version is fantastic.
I'd love to see a mono with a bit more midtone contrast and those highlights at the front pushed up so they stand out like in the tinted one.

Back