Tips for San Francisco please!!!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Over in LA with work at the end of Jan and as the cost was the same to fly back from SF instead of LA I have opted for that. Just need to fork out for an internal flight and hotel for 2 nights! Plan to get to hotel around 5/6pm Thursday, will have all day Friday and will need to leave for airport around 5pm. Has anyone been and can recommend places to visit/photograph/eat etc...

Initial plans was to wander round Thurs evening and see whats around. Maybe head to Golden Gate Bridge. Do the bridge Fri AM, then Alcatraz in afternoon. Downtown/Chinatown that evening with Sunday at Fishermans Wharf area and general SF shots on the hills, trams etc...the rest of the day.

Anything else I am missing, or tips on the above? Is Haight Ashbury worth visiting (as do like a bit of 60s psych)?

I wasn't impressed with Haight Ashbury (even if you can get a taxi to take you) but would recommend you head up to get the painted ladies.

Last edited:
I'd advise doing the GG bridge in daylight, or at latest, sunset. It's not lit up like the Bay Bridge at night, which is a shame. If you do cross at night, there are some fantastic views of the city to be had from Sausalito.

I'm with Mike on Haight Ashbury. Disappointing.

For the best views over almost the entire city, day or night (or to be above the fog if it's around), head up to twin peaks. If you don't have a car, I believe there's a bus service from the top of Powell Street.

Chinatown...yes, definitely, though if you're planning to eat there, be aware that in my experience, it's authentic Chinese food and not at all like that found over here.

I'd avoid Pier 39 right off Fisherman's Wharf. It's a tacky nightmare.

The area around the Port of SF is funky, and pretty lively.

If you can get to Alamo Square, there's a stunning row of traditional SF houses, and above and behind them a great view of the skyline.

SF is my favourite city in the world, and I was lucky enough to live there a while.

I hope you have a fabulous time. Pack as much in as you can.

If you are going to San Francisco you have to wear some flowers in your hair
(Sorry :coat: :D )

Last edited:
I'd advise doing the GG bridge in daylight, or at latest, sunset. It's not lit up like the Bay Bridge at night, which is a shame. If you do cross at night, there are some fantastic views of the city to be had from Sausalito.

I'm with Mike on Haight Ashbury. Disappointing.

For the best views over almost the entire city, day or night (or to be above the fog if it's around), head up to twin peaks. If you don't have a car, I believe there's a bus service from the top of Powell Street.

Chinatown...yes, definitely, though if you're planning to eat there, be aware that in my experience, it's authentic Chinese food and not at all like that found over here.

I'd avoid Pier 39 right off Fisherman's Wharf. It's a tacky nightmare.

The area around the Port of SF is funky, and pretty lively.

If you can get to Alamo Square, there's a stunning row of traditional SF houses, and above and behind them a great view of the skyline.

SF is my favourite city in the world, and I was lucky enough to live there a while.

I hope you have a fabulous time. Pack as much in as you can.

Thanks, some useful tips there - will defiantly be making the most of the 2 days I have!

Do I need to take my 70-200 (f4) lens? I was planning on 'just' taking my X100F for general shooting, along with my D750 with 20/50/85mm. I would like to leave it at that, as that should fit into my smaller Lowepro rucksack with enough space for a mini tripod (hand size) although no other space! Easier for all the walking and the zip is against the back so safer! I did NY with this combo and while there was the odd occasion it would have been nice to have had longer, I didn't really miss it!

Do I need to take my 70-200 (f4) lens? I was planning on 'just' taking my X100F for general shooting, along with my D750 with 20/50/85mm. I would like to leave it at that, as that should fit into my smaller Lowepro rucksack with enough space for a mini tripod (hand size) although no other space! Easier for all the walking and the zip is against the back so safer! I did NY with this combo and while there was the odd occasion it would have been nice to have had longer, I didn't really miss it!
No you don't. Last time I went to SF I just used my 24-105 on a 6D Mk II and that was fine.

One other thing you might want to consider is taking a walking tour. There are lots of commercial operators but I would highly recommend SF City Guides . It's a non-profit organisation, sponsored by the public library, that runs a huge variety of free walking tours looking at the city's history and architecture. They can take you a bit off the beaten track and you can see (and learn) some really interesting stuff.

San Franciso was the most expensive place we went to in the US after New York.

We took the 2 hour tour bus - open topped but we went in the summer, so good photo opportunities. Don't fancy that in Jan :D

It sets the areas, gives you an idea where everything is, and for the price you can use it for two days to jump on/off the bus, so provided you don't mind using the same loop route, it works out easy to get back again to places you've seen on the bus. Most of the things we went to we'd seen from the bus.

Macys on Union Square has a decent place to eat - open terrace restaurant with a view over the square and isnt too expensive.
161428763.jpg

It's also interesting decor inside:
161428764.jpg

Whilst there - pop into the Weston St Frances hotel walk to the back near the concierge desk and there's three interior photos on the wall shot by Ansel Adams. He used to do corporate work in SF to pay for his Yosemite trips
See: http://www.nineelmsphotography.com/blog/?p=2145

Nip into the elevators which go up the outside of the building and you get a decent free aerial view of SF
161428758.jpg

Chinatown just to the north of Union Square is worth a walk around. There's obviously Moma (museum of modern art) which has a lot of Ansel Adams in, the Jewish museum is interesting - had a Amy Winehouse exhibition when we were there.

Ride the cable car - you can hang on the outside :D You can use them to get to the piers which are worth a visit and walk around.
161428776.jpg

161428767.jpg

Last edited:
The heights are very touristy but worth a visit. Always something weird happening.
Taking an iguana for a walk?

161428787.jpg

161428790.jpg

Bus trip takes you both sides of the bridge - plus on the open top you can get some good shots on the approach

161428770.jpg

Last edited:
We were there a few days then rented a car to get to Yosemite. I had previously worked out the route Steve McQueen drove in Bullet and replicated in our mustang convertible :D

Lombard Street (the several twisty curves) is better to photograph from the bottom than drive...

We were there a few days then rented a car to get to Yosemite. I had previously worked out the route Steve McQueen drove in Bullet and replicated in our mustang convertible :D

Lombard Street (the several twisty curves) is better to photograph from the bottom than drive...

Thanks, am think of getting an Uber to the other side of the bridge, taking some shots from the higher ground there, then walking back over.

Thanks, am think of getting an Uber to the other side of the bridge, taking some shots from the higher ground there, then walking back over.

I agree with this. You can get up the hill on the far side of the bridge (there’s a car park) and get amazing views back to SF with the bridge in the foreground. See if there’s any fog/mist predicted in the morning which will make things rather atmospheric.

Or a bus. Buses to Marin are regular.

Just been there. Did a bus tour, trams/cable cars and quite a long to walkarounds.

Like many cities there are lots of great places just off the standard tourist spots.

There are also several flying tours if your budget extends that far. I chose Bay Aerial and was very impressed with their knowledge for photographers and access. No affiliation - just a satisfied customer (who is going through his image library).

One other thing you might want to consider is taking a walking tour. There are lots of commercial operators but I would highly recommend SF City Guides . It's a non-profit organisation, sponsored by the public library, that runs a huge variety of free walking tours looking at the city's history and architecture. They can take you a bit off the beaten track and you can see (and learn) some really interesting stuff.
If you have a bit of energy I would recommend Dandyhorse San Francisco bike tours

Try getting down to Marshalls beach for a shot of the GG Bridge

Back