To f/1.8 or not to f/1.8

Krisztian Kormos

Name
Krisztian
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm travelling to the Big Apple this winter and want to try some night, street photography. The current lens I use is the canon 18-55 IS STM 3.5-5.6. My question is, should I invest in getting a high aperture lens like the Canon 50mm f1.8 or will the f3.5 be enough for the time being and keep the money I saved as spending money? Most of my shots will be on the streets and in somewhat lit areas. Also, I do own a small, travel tripod. I'd appreciate all of your advice.

I'm guessing you have a crop camera? 50mm will be too long, you need wide, like a 10-22 if anything, so the18-55 should be fine. Use the blue hour to balance the street/building lights and the night sky.

And enjoy, don't get hung up with photos, enjoy the place.justbe prepared for the prices, one of the most expensive places I've been in the us.

40mm f 1.8 would be good. Fantastic Canon lens

Great, thank you very much for both of your inputs. I think I'll stay with the 18-55, at least for now and keep the money saved as spending.

I quite like my 18-55 stm, but if I had the money I think I'd buy a tamron or sigma 2.8 equivalent. The stm is sharper around the f/6 - f/7 mark, so can be a bit restricting if you're after super sharp images.

Canon do a 35mm F2 which is fairly cheap, which is a lovely lens for a crop sensor, near enough the same as a 50mm on a full frame (56mm actually)

You'll be fine with what you have. That said my 50mm 1.8 is my most used lens. No need to zoom just shoot from where you are, it's very small and gives great results. I'd get one at some point in the future.

Gaz

ps: Have fun. Best place I have ever been too. It's a giant film set ;-)

Last edited:
50mm f1.4 is even better :) but for the cost the 1.8 is brilliant.

However OP lists his camera as a Canon EOS 1300, with a Sigma 70-300 APO and a Canon 18-55 IS STM. New York is big, tall, everything is easily shootable with that combination. I looked at my images yesterday and almost everything was shot at 24mm on a full frame (24-105 lens). I just walked around with just my camera and the 24-105. Took other stuff and never used it (other than my ultra wide 14mm)

When I went I shot either at 20mm on the Nikon or 35mm on the Fuji. A number of times you do need to be at 20 or 24 (FF) but found the 50 and 85mm also got some use on buildings.

I would look at a cheap 35mm 1.8 type lens, not sure on Canon but Nikon have a good one you can pick up used for £100. Very useful for indoors and much better quality than a kit lens

I came across this guide yesterday - shows all the places to shoot and even advises time of day and settings.

I didn't download as you have to leave your details, but if you download the guide, you might see the lenses and settings he advises and make a decision on that:

https://www.jamesmaherphotography.com/ny-photographers-guide

Another approach is to look at all the famous street photographers from New York and find some of their locations.
Have a look at Everybody Street on Vimeo. I think you have to pay to watch the main film, but there's several trailers

View: https://vimeo.com/218833063

Last edited:
I shot with a 10-20 when I went out there. I would definitely not use a 50mm on a crop or a 40mm for that matter. Stick with what you have if you feel you need something just buy it out there its cheaper! :) A bit of grain in you night pics isn't the end of the world for street photography.

Last edited:
the 1.8 will always better than the 3.5 quality wise. But it really depends.. do you want that creamy bokeh?

Back