todays Tiger cub, Chester zoo added two more

Edit My Images
Yes
afternoon:) had a nice hour watching the cubs run round this morning :)
taken with my new 7D mk 2 first time Ive used it, still getting used to it but its an amazing camera

16515131793_e768fae66d_b.jpg

16927910857_9b9ff14932_b.jpg

Ooh, that is a lovely couple of shots Pete and really tempts me to take a trip up tomorrow. Was it busy today?

They look great (y) I think the second one just edges it for me due to the eye contact (though I like the little bit of extra space on the LHS on the first one).

I'm struggling to get there at the moment but want to catch these cubs before they grow up too much.

A great couple of shots Pete, it's good to see the cubs growing nicely and their stripes gaining definition. Nice sharp shots from the 7D2 - hope you enjoy it.

Chris

Ooh, that is a lovely couple of shots Pete and really tempts me to take a trip up tomorrow. Was it busy today?

Thanks very much Neil yes it was quite busy but not too bad:)

They look great (y) I think the second one just edges it for me due to the eye contact (though I like the little bit of extra space on the LHS on the first one).

I'm struggling to get there at the moment but want to catch these cubs before they grow up too much.

Thanks Matt I will have a look to see if I've got another shot with more space on LHS:)
definatley worth seeing them soon I supect that they will be moving them in the next month to the new enclosure (Islands)

A great couple of shots Pete, it's good to see the cubs growing nicely and their stripes gaining definition. Nice sharp shots from the 7D2 - hope you enjoy it.

Chris

Thanks Chris still getting used to it but its a really great camera :)

great shots
Thanks very much:)

Oh Wow Pete they are starting to look grown up now aren't they, beautiful captures :love:

I was hoping to get up this week but once again something has cropped up mid week, not grumbling about though ;)

Oh Wow Pete they are starting to look grown up now aren't they, beautiful captures :love:

I was hoping to get up this week but once again something has cropped up mid week, not grumbling about though ;)

Thanks Ingrid:)
it's definitely worth getting up here to see them they are quite active now
Definitely worth trying to see them before they are moved to the new enclosure

Pete, that second shot especially is a blinder, though they're both lovely.

Couple of cracking shots there Pete, the 2nd one with the eye contact is excellent but I also like the first, with the look in its eyes as if its just seen dinner :)

it's definitely worth getting up here to see them they are quite active now
Definitely worth trying to see them before they are moved to the new enclosur

Well I was hoping that I might have got up there this week, but an invite for a one off photoshoot came up for Thursday and
stopped that yet again
You'll just have to keep the pictures coming, you're doing a great job (y)

Well I was hoping that I might have got up there this week, but an invite for a one off photoshoot came up for Thursday and
stopped that yet again
You'll just have to keep the pictures coming, you're doing a great job (y)

Thanks will do am going again tomorrow :D
Will put up some piccies if i manage any:)

Couple of cracking shots there Pete, the 2nd one with the eye contact is excellent but I also like the first, with the look in its eyes as if its just seen dinner :)

Thanks very much Steve appreciated:)
it is nice the way he's looking up

Great shots, such adorable animals and well captured. I went on Friday and the only thing I missed out on that I wanted to see were the Tigers, the big one was lying down and looking away from the nearby vantage point and the cubs were hiding, it was very Sunny and quite hot so I don't know if that was why. It was at the end of the day and we were in a rush to see the Lions and Tigers - luckily I managed to get some shots and spend time at the Lion enclosure but I was so wrapped about getting those shots I totally forgot to go back and see if the Tigers were in better view!

Ah well, everything else was great.

They look so cute now, would be great to be able to see them through the next months and years to watch then change into adults.

Pete, I noticed you have just jumped up from a 550D to a 7Dmk2....? Do you notice a big difference between the image quality from both cameras already? Your photos of the cubs look more natural or something/ sharper than my 700D and the pictures I took on Friday... I'm not sure how much of that is because of skill / difference in body / lens?

I was shooting with my Canon 55-250 STM Lens, which to be fair is my first time with a telephoto lens and bought the day before, and first time shooting animals on the Friday! But I'd be interested to know if I am doing something wrong, as you've had a 550D (which I guess is similar to my 700D) and now have a 7D maybe you could point me in the right direction if I could get sharper / better results ? Would be much appreciated.

My flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/2ZddwW

Great shots, such adorable animals and well captured. I went on Friday and the only thing I missed out on that I wanted to see were the Tigers, the big one was lying down and looking away from the nearby vantage point and the cubs were hiding, it was very Sunny and quite hot so I don't know if that was why. It was at the end of the day and we were in a rush to see the Lions and Tigers - luckily I managed to get some shots and spend time at the Lion enclosure but I was so wrapped about getting those shots I totally forgot to go back and see if the Tigers were in better view!

Ah well, everything else was great.

Thanks very much Joel appreciated :)
There's lots of places to hide in the Tiger enclosure which can make things difficult but it's worth having a look later in the afternoon when the Cubs are often playing like all cats they do spend a lot of time sleeping tho:D

They look so cute now, would be great to be able to see them through the next months and years to watch then change into adults.

Thanks Di :)
yes it's great watching them grow up I try to do this with the tiger and cheetah cubs
They will be moving them to the new enclosure in the summer so it will be great to see them there

Pete, I noticed you have just jumped up from a 550D to a 7Dmk2....? Do you notice a big difference between the image quality from both cameras already? Your photos of the cubs look more natural or something/ sharper than my 700D and the pictures I took on Friday... I'm not sure how much of that is because of skill / difference in body / lens?

I was shooting with my Canon 55-250 STM Lens, which to be fair is my first time with a telephoto lens and bought the day before, and first time shooting animals on the Friday! But I'd be interested to know if I am doing something wrong, as you've had a 550D (which I guess is similar to my 700D) and now have a 7D maybe you could point me in the right direction if I could get sharper / better results ? Would be much appreciated.

My flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/2ZddwW

Hi Joel yes I've just got the 7D mk2 I was using a 7dmk1 and 550D
I can't see any difference in image quality at ISO 800 the main reason for getting the 7D mk2 was for the better autofocus
It's worth when you post up pictures putting your settings for example shutter speed so people can advise
I don't think the the camera body makes that much difference for image quality
The most important thing tho is light a tiger for example will always look better in nice light than in shade I waited for ages for the cub to sit in the open out of the shade
It's not always easy waiting for the animal to move into the right place but the light makes all the difference the Lions at Chester look superb with a bit of sun on them
Sorry if I sound a bit vague I'm not good at explaining things but the best way to improve is to post some shots up with your settings if I can help in any way just ask
edit BTW the 55-250 STM is a very good lens that with the 700D should be a great combination

Last edited:
I went again yesterday and today didn't get anything yesterday but managed a couple today:)
I got dead lucky as I fluffed both shots I was in portrait mode instead of landscape but I managed to stich two shots together :D

17157260635_3cefdaff15_b.jpg

16971107379_f64db2265e_b.jpg

Oooh tiger cub gobshot, nice one (y)

Back