Tom...

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Not done any portraits for a while. This is one of my grandsons who is always a willing subject.
I find that I prefer chaging most of my family pictures into black and white but would love to hear of any good links to help improve this as I feel my black and whites are a little flat.

TPFORUM.jpg

Hi Cathy,
I wouldn't describe this as flat. You've got a full range of tones. Composition is lovely (some might say too tight, but not me, I like it), and you have eye contact and a nice expression. The photo is bright & well lit and suits the subject. I'd lose the double border & drop shadow but that's a personal thing. Sharpness looks good.

Do you feel that this image is flat? Pushing the contrast to add more blacks or more at the black end would add a moodiness & grittiness that I'm not sure would work with the subject...

Thank you so much [emoji3] I was not expecting such a nice positive comment. I just feel it lacks pop ! this is the only way I can think to describe it. I tried several changes before settling on this but felt it just needed something to enhance it a little more. Yes you are right about the border and I will remove it as I hope to eventually get a print of this one .

As per Ian I don't think the image looks flat. There is a good range of tones going on from shadows right up to highlights.
The reduced contrast works better with kids in my mind but there is still enough to pick out the nice details.

To be honest though the eyes just draw you in because you have that contact so everything else doesn't need to pop.

It’s a nice image as it is. He looks happy and content.
I’m sure Mum and Dad will like this.

Back