Tomatoes: Natural light.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I saw an image in a magazine and asked the wife to get me some toms with stalks on. She duly obliged, and I removed all but one stalk.

Here's a couple of takes on the subject using the Venus lens - all taken with natural light from the window, with a reflector to the right hand side to bounce light back into the shadows.

Paul.

Brilliant idea I know it's not yours but very cleveR your lighting is spot on however and almost looks like the green is floating.

Brilliant idea I know it's not yours but very cleveR your lighting is spot on however and almost looks like the green is floating.

Cheers Bryn - these magazine encourage trying their ideas so I thought "why not?" :)

Paul.

These I like very much Paul. the composition, the colour, and the isolation of the tommy stalk is perfect in my book and gives so much impact to the shots. They're not unlike the kinda shots you see hanging on motorway cafe walls. Great stuff.(y)

George.

These I like very much Paul. the composition, the colour, and the isolation of the tommy stalk is perfect in my book and gives so much impact to the shots. They're not unlike the kinda shots you see hanging on motorway cafe walls. Great stuff.(y)

George.

Thank you George :)

Looks great - saw something similar in a video I watched recently on YouTube - they had wet them as well to add the extra dimension of water droplets.

Dave.

Crossed my find, the water spray, but there is a touch of moisture on the stalk, so left it alone.

Cheers Dave.

Paul.

Very nice Paul, agree with the above comments, but I can see a water drop on that last one to the left of the "subject" tomato. I reckon you should either have them all completely dry, or make more of the water droplets and I thing a quick spray would work well here.

Very sharp that lens init.

Very nice Paul, agree with the above comments, but I can see a water drop on that last one to the left of the "subject" tomato. I reckon you should either have them all completely dry, or make more of the water droplets and I thing a quick spray would work well here.

Very sharp that lens init.

Cheers Tim, the water there is all there was naturally, I could have wiped it away.

And yeah baby - sharp! :D

Paul.

Very nice pics Paul, lighting looks really good, like both, esp the composition of number 2. How do you find focusing with the venus lens on your 70d?

Most of my macro is via the liveview screen - it's easier on my eyes, easier on my old knees! There is a delay when in LV, but as long as it's not bees in flight etc, that's not a problem. However, as Kurt will also confirm should he read this, focusing at f/11 and beyond is very difficult except in good light, and impossible at night unless you have illumination. The lens needs to go to f/2.8 to focus and then dial in on the lens the aperture you need.

Paul.

Back