weekly TomD13’s 52 challenge (2020) - Week 25: Snappers Choice

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I have decided to give the 52 week challenge a go this year, mainly to have an excuse for getting out-and-about with my camera. This is the first time I am giving this a go, I am quite new to photography and still learning the basics, so I thought this might put me out of my comfort zone and make me try new things!

Weekly Subjects
Week 1: Local interest
Week 2: Pleasure
Week 3: Tools
Week 4: Discarded
Week 5: Snappers Choice (Silhouette Technique)
Week 6: Wild
Week 7: Broken
Week 8: Ability
Week 9: Winter
Week 10: Book
Week 11: Transport

Week 12: Fence
Week 13: Flora
Week 14: Time
Week 15: Snappers Choice (High Key Technique)

Week 16: My Initial (The letter T!)
Week 17: More than one (match)
Week 18: Music
Week 19: Colourful
Week 20: Old
Week 21: Liquid
Week 22: Household Item (Black and White Technique)
Week 23: Hidden (Away)
Week 24: Small

Week 25: Snappers Choice
Week 26:
Week 27:
Week 28:
Week 29:
Week 30:
Week 31:
Week 32:
Week 33:
Week 34:
Week 35: Snappers choice
Week 36:
Week 37:
Week 38:
Week 39:
Week 40:
Week 41:
Week 42:
Week 43:
Week 44:
Week 45: Snappers choice
Week 46:
Week 47:
Week 48:
Week 49:
Week 50:
Week 51:
Week 52:

Techniques
January & February: Silhouette (Used on week 5)
March & April: High Key (Used on week 15)
May & June: Black and White (Used on week 22)
July & August:
September & October:
November & December:

Last edited:
B&W suits it, especially with the flat sky. Low angle works, with everything pointing to a mid point in the shot.
I wonder if you could have got lower though?
Yeah, I was thinking that whilst playing earlier. I was thinking lower and closer to the statue. I’ll have another play one day when I’m not going to get soaked :)

Last edited:
B&W suits it, I like the composition and subject, great start :)

Great start to your 52 challenge Tom!:clap:
The low angle composition is spot on.
Very well processed for b&w, and well exposed to compensate for the flatness of that sky.
Nicely done Tom!(y)
Thank you! It took a little playing to get it to where I was happy, but quite pleased with most of it.

Been a while since I took a few photos there, you nailed it and love it in b&w.
Thank you. I've never actually taken photos there despite it being on my doorstep.

B&W suits it, I like the composition and subject, great start :)
Thank you Rick!

Nice Composition Tom, local to me too. Looks good in B&W.
Thank you Clive, I noticed you weren't too far away!

Great shot, the low POV works very well. :clap:
Thank you Bob :)

Love the B&W conversion looks very classic film.

You've use a nice angle to make the building really stand out against the plain sky.

Agree with the others.. nice composition under the circumstances. Sharp and well exposed.

I agree with the others the low PoV works and the B/W suits it

It's a bit of a shame that the bottom of the glass is missing, but the overall picture works pretty well.

I too like the light in the wine, Good Dof, I don't mind that the bottom of the glass is missing.

I like the effect of the light being diffused by the wine, nice use of DoF. But as other have said it's a shame to lose the base of the glass.

Nice lighting (can you say how it was lit please?) With others on the bottom of the glass but, also for me the top of the bottle... Just (for me) need a little space at the top too... But the atmosphere is spot on

Nice ambience and definitely bang on theme for me. I find the glass in the background slightly distracting but then probably not good to drink alone ;). Love the overall tone.

Nice amber tones, bang on theme (y)

I don't mind the bottom of the stem being cut off, it's an artistic choice (I often crop in tight because I prefer it).
I quite like the bokeh and the oof glass and bottle in the background.
The only thing I do find a little distracting is the two reflections of the light on the rim of the glass. Two light sources?

Welcome aboard the 52, Tom, and well done on your first two images.

I really like your choice of B&W in the first image as it was clearly a flat sky so you have drawn attention to the buildings and statue instead, and the low angle works well to make everything tower over you.

The second image has lovely warm tones so it feels like a comfortable scene; spot on for the theme. I am in the "would have liked to see the bottom of the glass" club because that's the first thing I noticed. Maybe a vertical composition would have worked to leave more room at the bottom and top? That aside, I really like everything else - the depth of field, warm tones and light coming through the wine from behind. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images (y)

Great image. Love the colour and the depth of field. Personally I think the image is fantastic without the bottom of the glass. I think it adds to the symmetry and clean lines.

I do like this image Tom.:clap:
I like the juxtaposition of the warmth of the colours and tones with the coolness of the condensation on the cool glass!
Your choice of DoF is good too...the out of focus elements are well placed!
Not seeing the bottom of the glass is fine by me too.(y)

local interest - B&W and low angle work very well

pleasure - my kind of drink! Great light and great DoF!

It`s a nice shot and a pleasure to have a glass of white wine, but I do agree on the bottom bit.
Thank you! Nothing like a glass of wine in the evening, I'm sure its part of the 5-a-day!!

I like the light in the wine, nice effect, looks well chilled.
Thank you Clive :)

I too like the light in the wine, Good Dof, I don't mind that the bottom of the glass is missing.
Thank you! :)

Very nicely done, but agree that the bottom of the glass would have been nice.
Thank you - I might try again one day with the bottom of the glass in the shot. :)

I like the effect of the light being diffused by the wine, nice use of DoF. But as other have said it's a shame to lose the base of the glass.
Thank you :)

Nice lighting (can you say how it was lit please?) With others on the bottom of the glass but, also for me the top of the bottle... Just (for me) need a little space at the top too... But the atmosphere is spot on
Thank you - it was lit with a tea light candle as far back on the table as I could get it.

Nice ambience and definitely bang on theme for me. I find the glass in the background slightly distracting but then probably not good to drink alone ;). Love the overall tone.
Thank you!

Nice amber tones, bang on theme (y)

Now that is certainly on theme! Love the colouring and dof, and particularly the condensation on the glass showing the chilled wine
Thank you!

I don't mind the bottom of the stem being cut off, it's an artistic choice (I often crop in tight because I prefer it).
I quite like the bokeh and the oof glass and bottle in the background.
The only thing I do find a little distracting is the two reflections of the light on the rim of the glass. Two light sources?
Thank you for the kind comments, I see what you mean about the 2 light reglections on the rim. I only used a tea light behind the glass, although in hindsight there may have been light behind me.

Welcome aboard the 52, Tom, and well done on your first two images.

I really like your choice of B&W in the first image as it was clearly a flat sky so you have drawn attention to the buildings and statue instead, and the low angle works well to make everything tower over you.

The second image has lovely warm tones so it feels like a comfortable scene; spot on for the theme. I am in the "would have liked to see the bottom of the glass" club because that's the first thing I noticed. Maybe a vertical composition would have worked to leave more room at the bottom and top? That aside, I really like everything else - the depth of field, warm tones and light coming through the wine from behind. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images (y)
Thank you very much for the kind comments :)

Great image. Love the colour and the depth of field. Personally I think the image is fantastic without the bottom of the glass. I think it adds to the symmetry and clean lines.

I do like this image Tom.:clap:
I like the juxtaposition of the warmth of the colours and tones with the coolness of the condensation on the cool glass!
Your choice of DoF is good too...the out of focus elements are well placed!
Not seeing the bottom of the glass is fine by me too.(y)
Thank you for your comments :)

local interest - B&W and low angle work very well

pleasure - my kind of drink! Great light and great DoF!
Thank you! :)

After taking various photos of tools from the shed...then trying tools of my trade, I was really struggling this week. Especially seeing some amazing shots from others...and then yesterday I went on a walk with the little-one and had and idea!

'The Chichester Road Gang' was designed and installed by David Kemp and made from empty gas cylinders and railway parts. This army of Roman workers is found on Centurion Way cycle path near Chichester, what used to be the Chichester to Midhurst railway which closed in 1957 following a decline in rail services in the thirties. It is located where the route crossed paths with a Roman road to Silchester and next to a 'Roman Amphitheatre' which was created by Justin Marshall on the site of an old Quarry.

You'll see I did attempt a shot with silhouette for the current (and outstanding) technique, but I decided I liked the rust and features of the design too much.

Chichester Road Gang on Centurion Way
by Tom Dimmock, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great set of pictures Tom, I have cycled the route, quite a few years ago, but have never seen these.(y)
Thanks Clive! It's a good route, used to cycle it daily for school. It's since been an occasional wander to clear the cobwebs :)
These are just near the mini-roundabout near Lavant Village hall (basically under the bridge of Hunters Race)

What an amazing piece(s) of sculpture well spotted and captured (y)

After taking various photos of tools from the shed...then trying tools of my trade, I was really struggling this week. Especially seeing some amazing shots from others...and then yesterday I went on a walk with the little-one and had and idea!

'The Chichester Road Gang' was designed and installed by David Kemp and made from empty gas cylinders and railway parts. This army of Roman workers is found on Centurion Way cycle path near Chichester, what used to be the Chichester to Midhurst railway which closed in 1957 following a decline in rail services in the thirties. It is located where the route crossed paths with a Roman road to Silchester and next to a 'Roman Amphitheatre' which was created by Justin Marshall on the site of an old Quarry.

You'll see I did attempt a shot with silhouette for the current (and outstanding) technique, but I decided I liked the rust and features of the design too much.

Hi Tom,

Like you I was originally was going to dig out some tools of our trade ;-).
I love the statues and am now going to have to go hunt them down on my next set of rest days.
I really like the silhouette one especially with that stunning sky as the backdrop. You have captured the essence of these characters perfectly. Thumbs up from me.

Hi Tom,

Like you I was originally was going to dig out some tools of our trade ;-).
I love the statues and am now going to have to go hunt them down on my next set of rest days.
I really like the silhouette one especially with that stunning sky as the backdrop. You have captured the essence of these characters perfectly. Thumbs up from me.
Ah! Hi Heather, I didn't know you were on here. There's a few of us into photography at work ;)
I tried using some of the training tools at the end of a shift....but really didn't like them.
Thank you for the kind words :)

Back