Tonights eclipse of the moon (partial)

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
dXcG6GL.jpg

Nikon D810 and afs70-200mm lens not easy in the dark and not very happy with this shot white has blown

this time with the Nikon AFs 80-400mm lens. I went into continuous High speed shot mode to try and do better and at least get one something like

eQCpdJ4.jpg

Hand held as I nearly forgot so no time to use a tripod

For those interested

Standard Information
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D810
Software: Ver.1.14
ImageSize: 7380x4928
CreateDate: 2019:07:16 23:13:36
ModifyDate: 2019:07:16 23:13:36
DateTimeOriginal: 2019:07:16 23:13:36
ExposureTime: 1/8"
Aperture: F5.6
MaxAperture: F5.7
DepthOfFocus: 61.03 m (142.74 - 203.77)
CircleOfConfusion: 0.030 mm
HyperfocalDistance: 950.91 m
ExposureProgram: Manual
ExposureBiasValue: -5
MeteringMode: Other
Flash: Off, Did not fire
ISO: 64
WhiteBalance: Auto1
FocalLength: 400.0 mm
FocalLength35efl: 400.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 400.0 mm)
SensingMethod: One-chip color area
SceneType: Directly photographed
ColorSpace: Adobe RGB
NoiseReduction: Off
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Hard
ShutterCount: 7409
LensSpec: 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR

Last edited:
Well done, too cloudy here :(

You saw it..............I hate you................. (not really - just jealous). Someone stole it here. From my house the Moon rises behind a farmhouse and a large tree. At 2230 (mid eclipse) I walked down the road past the house and tree, so now there are just some bungalows set back from the road, but still no sign of a Moon. It must have been lower than I thought it would be. The only way I was going to see it was by going for a drive, and then you've got the problem of minor roads where you can't really stop, so I didn't bother. I did get up and look out an hour or so later. It was up then, but behind a lot of cloud. Maybe earlier it had been behind cloud I couldn't see.
Partials aren't easy to photograph however you do it - the dynamic range is just too high.

Partials aren't easy to photograph however you do it - the dynamic range is just too high.

Quoted for truth!

Bazza, while in pic 1 the non eclipsed part is blown, you have detail in the orange part while in the second you have the opposite. For ME, the first works better as an eclipse shot since that's what I'd expect to see while the second is "just" a shot of the moon with a bite out of it.

Back