Wild Tonight's Encounter. (kingfisher)

Lovely to see a Kingfisher especially so because you have seen and 'caught' it in the wild :)

PS you say 'she' ~ though there is hint of pale on the lower part of the beak it shows little of the almost full length of orange denoting the female???

Lovely to see a Kingfisher especially so because you have seen and 'caught' it in the wild :)

PS you say 'she' ~ though there is hint of pale on the lower part of the beak it shows little of the almost full length of orange denoting the female???

Thanks, chasing kingfishers did become a bit of an obsession, it still is even now I have finally found a good spot.

Something I was taught a while back when it comes to sexing kingfishers is to remember that the “female wears lipstick”. This one has an orange patch just short of half the length of the bottom bill. Maybe it’s a maturity thing and this is a youngish bird. I’m certain it’s the same bird as is in my ‘Work In Progress’ thread, you can see the orange better in that pic. The male’s beak is completely black.

I’ve been to the spot now 3 times and you could almost set your watch by this bird. :)

(Ps, happy to be corrected, as always, everyday is a school day. )

Last edited:
Lovely shot of my nemesis bird :)

Les

Thank you Les.

They'd been a bit of a nemesis for me too, I did the paid hide thing last year and that was a great experience and I would do it again. I so wanted to do it my way though and it took me a while but just this last week, I've found a regular perch.

Keep trying, the experience trying will reward you in so many ways. (y)

A nice image Dale.... I've also found that Kingfishers are quite regular at certain spots at certain times too....

Thank you, this one has been like clockwork, same time every night, although it was a very short visit last time due to the motorbike.

Back