Too bright for f2.8

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I was shooting at an outdoor sports event a couple of weeks ago and it was such a bright day that at ISO100 I could not use f2.8 even with maximum shutter speed. I moved out to f4/f5.6 but it made me think I need to get an ND filter of some sort for this situation. I was using a D5 and I could have gone down to a LO ISO but I haven't used these settings before so wasn't sure whether it would impact image quality. Obviously I can (and will!) experiment but I thought I'd ask here for advice about best approaches. It also made me think I should get a polarising filter as that would add at least one stop and improve the sky colour on days like that. Any advice/suggestions ? Thanks.

I must admit I had been thinking about a D850, just need to find some money from somewhere! F4 was fine. When I put an teleconverter on it goes out to f5.6 and is ok. I was just thinking of ways that would allow me to stay at F2.8 :)

I must admit I had been thinking about a D850, just need to find some money from somewhere! F4 was fine. When I put an teleconverter on it goes out to f5.6 and is ok. I was just thinking of ways that would allow me to stay at F2.8 :)

There's a dude on here selling a really low count D810 for a decent price. That'll get you to 64 ISO and more or less facilitate F2.8.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d810.697510/#post-8468664

Not my camera and you are a new member but if you ask a moderator nicely they may let access the for sale section. I don't need a 4th body otherwise I'd be biting that guys hand off. ISO 64- job jobbed :D

Loads of points between F2.8 and F4 - just wing it I guess if you don't swap the body.

I'd be very wary of using a CPL or ND filter on a long lens - my experience was a lot of softening when I tried one on the front element.

Last edited:
Unfortunately at the moment I have no money at all - I have been thinking of selling my D750 to upgrade to the D850 when I do have some. I really like the 750 though so am umming and ahhing about that ! (having said that I was surprised recently when comparing D750 images to D5 images from the same event, so may revisit them and do a post about that).

Thanks for your advice about CPL/ND filters, that's much appreciated. Sounds like I need to re-think that or at least try before using for anything important.

you are a new member but if you ask a moderator nicely they may let access the for sale section.
Nigel's been here 8 months all he needs is another 21 meaningful posts and he's in. (y)

What shutter speed were you using?

Oh and forget filters. They'll slow down your AF speed.

I think what happened was I was on Aperture Priority at f2.8 and couldn’t get the shot which confused me, so I switched to Manual stayed at f2.8 and I think it just would not go lower than 1/4000th which was overexposed. However having tried the camera this morning, it will go to 1/8000th so I’m not quite sure now what was going on! Thanks for the advice regards filters.

Back