Too many Photographers

Just been reading this thread and interned to see how long it’s been active. Also interesting to read people’s comments on agencies and their “deals” with the nationals.
Nothing seemed to have changed since I dropped out of the circus. Never had my own licence but have worked for a number of agencies the last being a small one who had good contacts for league 1&2 games. Use to tell me every week editors would scrutinise every image used by any other than the big guys asking why they had been used.
I miss the buzz of professional football and seeing images in print but I earn a far better living covering other sports. So assuming from what’s been said nothing much has changed so think I made a good choice.

To be honest, if you want something to fret about in 2018, it's the merger of the Northern & Shell titles with Trinity Mirror that'll have the worst effect on the industry. Not some mythical deal between the wire agencies and the proprietors.
I’d worry about newsprint in general - Trinity Mirror now own my local rag (I’d done work for them, bought it and even delivered it in my youth, when It was a local paper that people were trusting) Their ‘news’ now consists of Twitter, Facebook trawling with stories about ‘I found *** in my ****, ‘I nearly died’ only when reading the story to discover the person was in Wolverhampton or Newcastle. No matter how much readers complain about the lack of proper local news they seem hell bent on reducing their already declining readership still further

Eight photographers at a league two match Accrington v Mansfield and nothing used in any of the nationals this morning...

OK not all on the wire but still ..

Mine are safe for the local paper so guaranteed published and paid.. Someone from mansfield local paper same as me and club photographers for each team..... Eight is overkill for a league 2 game with two shall we say uninspiring teams..

There always sees to be a lot at sports events on TV. Then again there are a lot of magazines and Newspapers so...

Back