Top five used software packages

S

Steve

Top five used software packages

I was wondering which software packages (free or otherwise) you use during your photography workflow. It can be to process, alter, store, view reduce noise etc in your photos. You get the idea but a brief explanation of what each software package does (or what you use it for) would also be helpful.

Below are my top five.

Dim4 – Free download and although it can be a little fiddly to configure initially, once working it is truly a life saver. DIM only does one thing, but it does it well: it copies files from your camera’s memory card to a destination directory determined by your storage scheme. If any directories need to be created in the process, it will create them. In addition, the file can be renamed while it is copied to a more “useful” name than your camera might have provided.

Rawshooter Essentials – fast effective and totally free RAW file viewer and post-processing tool. Used to view edit and convert my files.

Adobe Photoshop CS – The industry standard image editor, very powerful and incredibly complicated. This tool is not very helpful for beginners but if you take the time to learn it capabilities, the results achievable are simply stunning.

Noiseware community edition – a free standalone noise reduction filter. Fully automatic with very good results or manually configured to get the best results. There are other packages available from other manufacturers which arguably match the quality of this, but non so for simplicity, ease of use and speed.

Nero 6 – I use this to burn my images to disc (either CD or DVD) for backup, distribution and storage. Simple, effective and fast, I like how it can be simple or complicated depending on what you wish to achieve.

hmm well...
Rawshooter - ive just started to use this as ive just started to use RAW
Photoshop CS - Love PS and find it very easy once you get into it...better now that ive had some tuition, lol
Windows XP - Picture viewer and cd making tools, much underestimated and unloved, but not that bad really
Noiseware - cos it rocks. best noise package out there
erm.....thats it, thats all i use...

BreezeBrowser and Downloader Pro for RAW conversion. None of that b****x about 'workflow' it just gets on with the job. - Bought
Micrografx Picture Publisher for 90% of editing (it's a cross between PSP and PS, better in some respects, not as good in others). It's getting a bit dated now though, MGx was bought out by Corel and PP was dumped :( - Bought
Adobe Elements 2, came with the camera and handy for some of the things PP can't do. - Free

Nero6 for storing images on DVD - Bought

To get images online I use Coppermine and SmartFTP though the zip software I use (zipgenius) has come out with their own ftp prog which looks nice - Free

Cam2PC the free version is a nice image browser/downloader but can't see RAW which is why I bought DLPro ^ - Free
I also have PSP 7 that came free with a newspaper of all things but never use it. - Free
Never found a noise reduction package that gave results I liked.

Photoshop CS - Previewing, making JPG's from RAW's, Adding borders.
+ Virtual Photographer - Lots of useful effects.
+ Noiseware Plugin - Best noise reduction software I've used.
iRedSoft Image Resizer 3 - Batch resizing the way I like it done.
BreezeBrowser - Just to get EXIF Info

ahh yes i forget Exif reader!

Photoshop CS - browsing and all post processing
Rawshooter Essentials - only just started playing with this but I like
Noiseware Plugin for CS
Erm... haven't yet reinstalled Nero, got about 6 months of images to back up :eek:ops:
Windows XP - because I don't have a Mac :)

Photoshop CS for processing everything and Fotostation Pro for filing. I know using the latter is a waste of its potential but it's fast and I got the license for nothing.

I find Adobe RAW works just as well as the competition and as it's seamlessly integrated there's no moving from one application to another. A lot of the other RAW packages are designed for batch processing which IMO defeats the object of shooting in RAW as if you're going to batch convert why not just let the camera do it? Plugins I use are Noiseware Pro and TheImagingFactory Convert to Black & White pro. For burning I use Nero 6

Back