Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI .... Speed / Performance?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all, im just dabbling in the trials of Topaz Denoise AI and Topaz Sharpen AI

As I've sold all my camera gear and before i decide on what smaller kit will replace it (but that's another story for another day) i want to spend any spare time getting through my backlog and came across Denoise to rescue some images and have to say its impressive BUT.........

I find it crazy slow I've done some Google and not came up with anything as my CPU Memory and GPU don't hit 100% even when underload with a task from Denoise so i don't get it.

Has anyone looked in to this or got a set up they find Topaz runs sufficiently fast enough??

Thanks

How long is it taking?
There was a thread on this on the Olympus user group forum, where everyone ran the same images through and reported back. There were a couple of settings to use to get the best benefit (GPU High is twice as fast as GPU medium, and 3 times faster than CPU+OV for me) and in the end the most critical element was graphics cards. BUT it wasn't necessarily the graphics cards you'd probably expect that performed the best.. The radeon rx580 8gb series performed particularly well and outperformed some newer/more powerful Nvidia cards for example. Plenty of RAM helped too I think.

Last edited:
Just a heads up to the community user forum (and up to date downloads)

If you click on the download it takes you to the appropriate discussion sub-fora (with the download being linked to at the very top of the page.

DeNoise

Sharpen

Each will show the most current x.x.Release

HTH perhaps :)

Last edited:
How long is it taking?
There was a thread on this on the Olympus user group forum, where everyone ran the same images through and reported back. There were a couple of settings to use to get the best benefit (GPU High is twice as fast as GPU medium, and 3 times faster than CPU+OV for me) and in the end the most critical element was graphics cards. BUT it wasn't necessarily the graphics cards you'd probably expect that performed the best.. The radeon rx580 8gb series performed particularly well and outperformed some newer/more powerful Nvidia cards for example. Plenty of RAM helped too I think.

Oh really? Well i can definitely try the Gpu set to high tomorrow not quite sure what it’s on now! And my graphics card I’d have to check it was good when I built the machine 6 year ago but it’s still running sweet for everything else I7 and 32gb memory and 500gb ssd so it’s quick maybe the graphics is holding it back but I assumed like most things when it’s bottle necked it would/should peak at higher than 50%

However the Radeon rx580 doesn’t seem to expensive and it just how much faster it actually can be!

Just a heads up to the community user forum (and up to date downloads)

If you click on the download it takes you to the appropriate discussion sub-fora (with the download being linked to at the very top of the page.

DeNoise

Sharpen

Each will show the most current x.x.Release

HTH perhaps :)

I’ll check out those links tomorrow when on the computer thanks however I only downloaded them both direct from Topaz website yesterday so should be the most current update

Oh really? Well i can definitely try the Gpu set to high tomorrow not quite sure what it’s on now! And my graphics card I’d have to check it was good when I built the machine 6 year ago but it’s still running sweet for everything else I7 and 32gb memory and 500gb ssd so it’s quick maybe the graphics is holding it back but I assumed like most things when it’s bottle necked it would/should peak at higher than 50%

However the Radeon rx580 doesn’t seem to expensive and it just how much faster it actually can be!
Take a look at the thread on the forum, for proper details. You may even have it set to be using just your CPU and not GPU at all!

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm supposed to link to another photography forum on here.
But if you search for Olympus E group forum, then go into the software section and look for the topaz benchmarking thread.....

Last edited:

I’ll check out those links tomorrow when on the computer thanks however I only downloaded them both direct from Topaz website yesterday so should be the most current update

Sorry, I meant to add......maybe worth joining the community forum to ask/get more direct user to user, developer interaction etc that could be of help? Plus, when you get a chance to look at and search them..... possible similar experience to yours and insights of how to tweak settings???

Not sure if I'm supposed to link to another photography forum on here.
But if you search for Olympus E group forum, then go into the software section and look for the topaz benchmarking thread.....

Thanks for the directions, was definitely interesting and worth while reading it all.

Just for clarity for future questions on this forum, I Installed an ASUS app which showed when using Denoise I was maxing out my Graphics card and obviously the D850 file size also is part of the reason I'm maxing out.

After reading through the bench test data there are definitely better Graphics cards for around £150 and I will at some stage upgrade but for now will accept itll be a slow process if I need to use denoise or just be more selective on what I put through it.

For example its taking around 5 minuets per image from preview to saving the adjustments, after testing on a friends computer i could reduce that down to 1 minuet which is far more acceptable.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

I have a fairly fast i.mac and it takes around 30 seconds to run a shot through de-noise Ai .. if your only running the trial version it might be just a basic one to in the 6 months since purchase its been updated about ten times and is nothing like the original version I bought

I have a fairly fast i.mac and it takes around 30 seconds to run a shot through de-noise Ai .. if your only running the trial version it might be just a basic one to in the 6 months since purchase its been updated about ten times and is nothing like the original version I bought

Yeah it’s just the trial but you’d think full acess trial wouldn’t have speed restrictions as really it’s enough to put me off but it’s made me dig in to the computer and realise some parts are getting on a bit and maybe time for an upgrade

Who knows a new more powerful graphics card could also see other programs and task happen that bit quicker

I have an all in one pc with only a basic graphics card. Had a few issues with the Topaz denoise plug-in recently but having changed the graphics card settings in LR and Denoise all is now fine. Takes 30s to a minute to process. In LR the graphics card was disabled, in Denoise there is a reset button within preferences which apparently sets the best settings for your system.

Definately under 30 seconds per image for me (Fuji 24mp raw files saved as .tiff)

i5 processor - £35 2gb GC(P) - 20.9mp/44mb RAW file - CPU setting - 26.06 seconds

They do update it regularly once purchased , the latest version; (last weekend ) speeded it up quite a bit

Back