Topaz Denoise - help needed please!

Name
Marcia
Edit My Images
No
I wonder if anyone could help me please?
I downloaded the trial for this, but health problems have intervened, and I haven’t had a chance to look at it until today, so only have a few days left of the trial period.
Quite frankly, I’m panicking as I have no clue how to go about this! I normally use DXO PL3.
I’ve tried a few things today. Running an image through DXO, saving that as a jpeg, and then running the jpeg through Denoise. I was rather impressed, but I didn’t play with any settings just used the values as they were.
I guess I’m actually supposed to use a RAW image, but is that before or after DXO? And if someone could also give me a clue on settings that would help too!
Alternatively, are there any really good tutorials that would help me please?
Finally, do people use Sharpen as well as Denoise, or just Denoise.
I would be very grateful for any responses in order to really put this package through its paces.
Thank you to everyone in advance
Marcia

From reviews Topaz DeNoise AI is the best there is. I have used it for a few weeks now and very impressed. Normally noise is not an issue with my 5D4 but I recently took some shots with my Lumix FX200 in poor light and the results were very noisy. In the past I would have not bothered but Topaz Denoise made an excellent job. It does introduce a degree of sharpening as well. There are actually very few controls and plenty of videos and reviews if you Google the topic. As I bought many Topaz Plugins early on they gave me Denoise AI for free. However, they will be ceasing their free updates for ever policy in August.

Thank you for your response David. Much appreciated, and good to hear your endorsement of the software!

I’ve too have recently purchased DN. I found it worthwhile.
There seems to be a difference of opinion as to where to deploy Denoise in your workflow.
Some say before any LR adjustments, some say after.
Just run some images through and see what suits you best.
It gives you the option of how much sharpening to apply.

Thank you Peter. That was one of the things that I was unsure of, but it sounds like trial and error! I’m seriously thinking of biting the bullet on this!

I have now purchased it .its really good i apply it in photoshop as the final phase before converting to a jpeg file for the net . Tried lots of different ways during the trial period this way seems best ( for me anyway ) .

I have now purchased it .its really good i apply it in photoshop as the final phase before converting to a jpeg file for the net . Tried lots of different ways during the trial period this way seems best ( for me anyway ) .

May I ask Jeff, how you attached this to Photoshop?

Just curious before I commit to buying

Thank you

Les :)

May I ask Jeff, how you attached this to Photoshop?

Just curious before I commit to buying

Thank you

sorry les only just spotted this , it goes straight in as a plug in les .. it will be in the FILTERS section

Les where did you buy it from as I’d like a copy too!
you download a months trial version from topaz and purchase directly online ,but it gives you a chance to establish if its good for you or not .. it took me just over two weeks to establish a workflow

I have mine set up as a Windows extension( click window in Photoshop scroll down to extensions, simple enough) - I don't use lightroom, even though I have it :)

Les

I have mine set up as a Windows extension( click window in Photoshop scroll down to extensions, simple enough) - I don't use lightroom, even though I have it :) Les
- Cheers Les :)
- I've now got it as a Lightroom Classic CC Plug-In and I'm impressed; I just need to blend it into my basic workflow! It does however slow down my 7 year old Desktop when processing a Raw image - but I have all the time in the world at present.

Russ

- Cheers Les :)
- I've now got it as a Lightroom Classic CC Plug-In and I'm impressed; I just need to blend it into my basic workflow! It does however slow down my 7 year old Desktop when processing a Raw image - but I have all the time in the world at present.

Russ

Good to hear Russ- I have Lightroom it came as a package with my Photoshop 2020 annual subscription - to be honest I've never even opened it :)

wouldn't know where to start - maybe, given the present circumstances, it's time to learn

Quick run down I have lightroom / photoshop Cc which I use for all p.p . I shot everything in RAW .so first load the files into LR then as I usually shoot birds crop to whichever style suits that photo , then do any colour W.b adjustments as needed .tip go easy on sliders .. When happy with colours export directly to P.S once there I resize for the web usually about 1650 pixels on the longest edge . Then apply copyright . That’s it simply then open up in topaz via the filter section and either apply via sliders or choose auto . Job done .. file and save to desktop then post.
Takes roughly 2 mins per photo start to end

Last edited:
Quick run down I have lightroom / photoshop Cc which I use for all p.p . I shot everything in RAW .so first load the files into LR then as I usually shoot birds crop to whichever style suits that photo , then do any colour W.b adjustments as needed .tip go easy on sliders .. When happy with colours export directly to P.S once there I resize for the web usually about 1650 pixels on the longest edge . Then apply copyright . That’s it simply then open up in topaz via the filter section and either apply via sliders or choose auto . Job done .. file and save to desktop then post.
Takes roughly 2 mins per photo start to end

Thanks. That is useful. It certainly has yielded good results for you, although I suspect it is your photography skills that are the larger input.

It does save all the faffing around with layering etc that I did previously and with a remarkable improvement on results to . I was initially dubious but results count . And as far as shooting with micro four thirds it’s proven itself to be the missing link in the equation as during the winter due to bad light noise was the issue .

What`s the score on Topaz and CMYK mentioned some place not compatible , forgive my ignorance but those letters are related to printing right ? So does this mean I wouldn`t be able to run or get the benefits the Topaz software offers on images I was going to print ?

What`s the score on Topaz and CMYK mentioned some place not compatible , forgive my ignorance but those letters are related to printing right ? So does this mean I wouldn`t be able to run or get the benefits the Topaz software offers on images I was going to print ?
If you process your images as RGB in LR or PS as normal then you can use Topaz Plug-ins. The resultant final files TIFF or JPEG will be RGB and you can print. The conversion to CMYK is normally left to the printer driver. There may be some for special reasons might convert their images to CMYK but this would surely be after a process like DeNoise not before.

Dave

CMYK is used by commercial printers using the lithographic process. I don't think it's something that most photographers would need to worry about.

Topaz has again been updated it’s now on v2-2-2 it works far better now and if your also using P/S that’s had a update today and you will find that a final tweak in smart sharpen works better without overdoing things now I.e haloes . ..
Put it this way when I downloaded today’s results taken in a heavily wooded area I was on the verge of saying f*** it and selling it all . I even spent a couple of hours checking my micro adjust ... then I started p/p and went WOW . It’s the end results that count

Back