Topaz JPEG to RAW Latest.

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone following this saga on here will have noted my total disgust at how Topaz Labs gutted what I considered to be a superb program, yet were still charging $99 for the gutted version.

By gutted I mean that they totally removed the incredible NR feature and the detail recovery.

But now after a lot of arguments with them they have finally given me back the original program via an offline download which restores the original program.

The TRUE JPEG to RAW is version 1.0.3 and is 922 MB in size whereas the gutted version is only 420 MB in size.

Now they are advertising DeNoise AI which does exactly the same as JPEG to RAW - except it has more sliders and can't batch process!

I suppose the bean counters at Topaz thought it was a way to increase their bottom line at the expense of customers who had already bought JPEG to RAW.

But what a way to treat loyal customers!

But at least I now have the actual program I paid good money for.

At least you've had your situation resolved.

Not been great to read having just purchased Gixapixel (for £53.00) and considering purchasing the Sharpen program, it's not ideal.

Dougie.

At least you've had your situation resolved.

Not been great to read having just purchased Gixapixel (for £53.00) and considering purchasing the Sharpen program, it's not ideal.

Dougie.

No it definitely isn't - I also have Gigapixel and as far as I know it still works the same.

But it does give me pause about ever buying any Topaz programs in future.

Especially as I paid £140 to upgrade my GPU to an Nvidia 1050 TI 4Gb just so as I could use their program!

It's one thing to stop supporting an older program but to deliberately destroy a program that people have paid good money for is unconscionable!

But I know you can get a 30 day free trial of some of their programs.

But if you're happy with it then possibly purchase their programs but NEVER update them unless you download them on a separate PC and try the updates there first.

An extreme solution but one which Topaz have made necessary!

Glad you got it back. Makes me think perhaps I shouldn’t delete the program packages once I’ve installed the program. I usually do.

Last night I downloaded a couple of trials - sharpen and denoise. My laptop is under spec so they run slowly. I’m blown away by how an oof image was brought back in to focus. An image I was going to delete.

As I already owned the original DeNoise, I received DeNoise AI at no charge from Topaz. The only two Topaz Plug-ins I do not have now are Gigapixel and JPEG to Raw. I have no need to resize upwards my 5D4 images as I do not need prints larger than Exhibition size. I also only use Raw so JPEG to Raw is of no use to me. I do always store downloads so I can go back previous version of software if I need to.

Dave

You can download the offline installer for the REAL JPEG to RAW and get all the advantages of DeNoise AI AND batch processing here:

https://topazlabs.s3.amazonaws.com/fix/offline/topazjpeg2raw_1.0.3_offline_installer.exe

This download is about 650MB and will install to about 920+ MB.

As far as I know you can still use it on a free trial basis for 30 days and if you have already paid for JPEG to RAW then it should work as normal.

However whatever you do - if you get the REAL version - DO NOT UPDATE IT!

Last edited:
As I already owned the original DeNoise, I received DeNoise AI at no charge from Topaz. The only two Topaz Plug-ins I do not have now are Gigapixel and JPEG to Raw. I have no need to resize upwards my 5D4 images as I do not need prints larger than Exhibition size. I also only use Raw so JPEG to Raw is of no use to me. I do always store downloads so I can go back previous version of software if I need to.

Dave

The Topaz download installer only downloads the latest version - at least it did for me and the brilliance of jPEG to RAW, and the reason I purchased it in the first place, wasn't the fact that it supposedly created a version of a RAW file, but the noise reduction and the detail recovery - both of which were totally removed from versions 2+.
And the fact that it supported batch processing - which DeNoise AI doesn't - although Topaz says it may be introduced.

Clear AI also appeared to be a combination of sharpening and Denoise which I paid for recently. I then received Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI for free and I have the impression that AI Clear is now obsolete. I do not need to reduce noise very often but had started using AI Clear instead of Clarity. I will experiment over time but suspect a Sharpen AI will do what I want for clarity. I have tried Denoise AI on some old files from my Bridge camera taken at high ISO. The files were originally unusable but now look good when processed with DeNoise AI. I have found Topaz to be excellent value overall as I bought earlier Plug-Ins as a bundle on special offer and with a discount code. About 18 months ago, I took a special offer to update my bundle but recently added AI Clear. Given that over many years Topaz have provided updates free, this represents good value. One of my favourites is ReMask.

Dave

Well as I've said JPEG to RAW did an excellent job of NR and recovering details AND I could batch process hundreds of images at once.

But the updated (!) version was completely gutted I presume to make sure it didn't compete with DeNoise, but by doing that they completely ruined it!

Now they are claiming that it doesn't reduce noise but is intended as a "format Changer" whatever that is supposed to mean!

Yet in their adverts AND in early reviews of it they claimed (and are STILL claiming) that it DOES reduce noise, and as I have shown in other threads, especially on my Flickr site, it did exactly that.

TBH why would anyone pay about £80.00 ($99.99) for something which was a "format changer"?

Any program can change a JPEG to a TIFF file or a DNG file - and for free!

I think the format change they mean is from Jpeg to Raw.

No it is to either DNG or TIFF since you cannot get a genuine RAW file from a JPEG regardless of what they claim (as many people on here and elsewhere have pointed out).

In the past it din't matter to me since the outstanding results far outweighed any nomenclature but since they gutted the original program there is virtually nothing left of any good.

I wasn't familiar with the previous version, but I did decide to buy the AI bundle which includes 'jpeg to raw' after trialling a few of the programs. Jpeg to raw was the program I was least interested in, but I was quite impressed with it when I used it on a scanned 4x6 photo (from film). I was then able to edit it, and I think pull out more of the shadows than I could have from the original jpeg scan. With Gigapixel I managed to double it in size too, but above that it started looking a bit weird.

I wasn't familiar with the previous version, but I did decide to buy the AI bundle which includes 'jpeg to raw' after trialling a few of the programs. Jpeg to raw was the program I was least interested in, but I was quite impressed with it when I used it on a scanned 4x6 photo (from film). I was then able to edit it, and I think pull out more of the shadows than I could have from the original jpeg scan. With Gigapixel I managed to double it in size too, but above that it started looking a bit weird.

You can get the REAL version (1.0.3) of JEG to RAW here:

https://topazlabs.s3.amazonaws.com/fix/offline/topazjpeg2raw_1.0.3_offline_installer.exe

It downloads about 650+ MB which install as 922+MB when unpacked.

Since you have already paid for it it should work perfectly for you AND get you the NR and Detail recovery which they gutted from the "update".

AND the ability to batch process it as well.

And I agree about Gigapixel but it does depend on the original being very sharp and noise free.

I found that 2x magnification gave excellent results though.

Mind you I find that I no longer trust ANY software from this company and I will NEVER update the 2 programs I do have.

Last edited:
Back