Tornado Steam Loco Breakdown

Sad indeed! Glad I got to see it at Bury in good working order!

Haha! Old news I'm afraid and caught out a lot of people. There was even a petition to complain!

Latest is ;
"The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust is disappointed to announce that No. 60163 Tornado failed whilst hauling ‘The Ebor Flyer’ on Saturday 14th April 2018 south of Peterborough. The failure was due to damaged inside motion. At this time the cause of the damage is not known but is not thought to be speed-related. Tornado was taken off the train at Peterborough and will be moved to the Nene Valley Railway for inspection and repairs. The Trust is conducting a thorough investigation. Further announcements will be made when the Trust has more information."

Last edited:
Did you check out the date?

View attachment 124495

:eggface: :banghead::D It did seem a bit strange and yes, I did notice the date but it didn't click. Strangely, whilst having a keen sense of humour it doesn't extend to the kind of pranks we see and hear of in relation to April 1st. I never did find them funny, more like stupid. According to Wiki it originated in Geoffrey Chaucers 'Canterbury Tales'.

Haha! Old news I'm afraid and caught out a lot of people. There was even a petition to complain!

Latest is ;
"The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust is disappointed to announce that No. 60163 Tornado failed whilst hauling ‘The Ebor Flyer’ on Saturday 14th April 2018 south of Peterborough. The failure was due to damaged inside motion. At this time the cause of the damage is not known but is not thought to be speed-related. Tornado was taken off the train at Peterborough and will be moved to the Nene Valley Railway for inspection and repairs. The Trust is conducting a thorough investigation. Further announcements will be made when the Trust has more information."

Thanks. W. Not being an engineer or loco enthusiast, regarding the engineering aspect, I had no idea what the part was that fell off it. Maybe,hopefully, easily rectified.

:eggface: :banghead::D It did seem a bit strange and yes, I did notice the date but it didn't click. Strangely, whilst having a keen sense of humour it doesn't extend to the kind of pranks we see and hear of in relation to April 1st. I never did find them funny, more like stupid. According to Wiki it originated in Geoffrey Chaucers 'Canterbury Tales'.

Thanks. W. Not being an engineer or loco enthusiast, regarding the engineering aspect, I had no idea what the part was that fell off it. Maybe,hopefully, easily rectified.

The pistons drive the wheels from the outside (the big bits you can see) they also, by a series of rods/pivots/and links, drive an inboard crankshaft between the wheels.
This is known as 'Inside motion' That is the part/parts that broke. Must have made a hell of a noise! Lets hope it is confined to the moving parts and hasn't affected anything major!

Pic shows the inboard crankshaft.

Large Drive Wheel LR.jpg

Attachments

• Large Drive Wheel LR.jpg
    Large Drive Wheel LR.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The pistons drive the wheels from the outside (the big bits you can see) they also, by a series of rods/pivots/and links, drive an inboard crankshaft between the wheels.
This is known as 'Inside motion' That is the part/parts that broke. Must have made a hell of a noise! Lets hope it is confined to the moving parts and hasn't affected anything major!

Ok..Thanks. Sounds quite serious ,then. By the way, I didn't like the mishmash of carriage colours. Looked as though they'd been thrown together at the last minute,probably were Lol.

Ok..Thanks. Sounds quite serious ,then. By the way, I didn't like the mishmash of carriage colours. Looked as though they'd been thrown together at the last minute,probably were Lol.

Very rare you get matching rolling stock, especially on heritage railways!

Back