Tornado

Love it, can just about see you in the pointy bit (that is the technical term right?)

Unusual perspective but it looks great :)

Cracking shot, lovely symmetry.
By military convention, they appear to have their Links & Rechts Intake Covers mixed.
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the bit above the canopy is?
Nonetheless, tremendous colour and DOF considering your position in front of the Pitot Probe.

Last edited:
Love it, can just about see you in the pointy bit (that is the technical term right?)

Pitot probe. I have no idea what that yellow thing above the canopy is. Ive worked on Tornado for many years and never seen anything like that but I have been out of the game for 13 years.

Pitot probe. I have no idea what that yellow thing above the canopy is. Ive worked on Tornado for many years and never seen anything like that but I have been out of the game for 13 years.

Not 100% sure but isn't it the Tail (ECM?) Pod we can see above the canopy?

GC

New one on me. They used to be on the wing pylons or maybe underneath the front fuselage in my day.
Confused me too, after 14yrs on GR1/4 the top bit above the canopy confused me.
I even thought it may be some structure behind the aircraft (lighting etc)
ECM (on U.K. Variants was normally outboard pylons, alternating with Boz).

Last edited:
New one on me. They used to be on the wing pylons or maybe underneath the front fuselage in my day.

I think it's the Pod on the leading edge of the tail, wasn't sure if it was ECM, I'm not an Air frame Fitter;)

43738557741_e800e4c530_b.jpg

Don't think the F-3 had it but the GR-4 and Luftwaffe machines do.

Interested in what it actually is and if you think it is what we're seeing above the canopy?

Thanks,

GC

F3 deffo didn't have it (I am an ex Airframe fitter. lol) Looking at the GR4 though, the firbreglass cover was plain and didn't have the circles you can see in the OP photo. Maybe some new technology after my time. That fin wash is truly terrible BTW. It was the lineys job to fin wash the jets every Friday on F3 Sqn's. Bit of fuel taken from the wing spill tanks, some blue roll and a quick once over. lol. The one above is terrible. No pride in the job anymore. Especially for a display jet. It should be gleaming!

F3 deffo didn't have it (I am an ex Airframe fitter. lol)

Assume you were at Coningsby, Leeming or Leuchars? Or maybe even Mount Pleasant?

GC

Leeming twice (XI Sqn), Marham and St Athan on GR's and the rest of my career on Harriers and Chinook.

Back