Critique Torridon...via Glencoe

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
The last weeks weather has been amazing. Lovely clear azure blue skies. I know the established norm in landscape photography is clear blue skies are bad for taking photographs but I disagree. In this part of the world they are almost certainly a rarer event than stormy skies, or the dark "moody" ones that are de rigueur these days. In that sense perhaps these images are different for the virtue of the fact they are completely cloudless - it's quite rare to see pretty much all of West Scotland look like this.

Anyway, I digress, these are just the sort of days that are made for me to head out with a camera. No need for thick jackets, waterproofs and awful wooly hats. Indeed I was in shorts and T shirt the whole time (bar the night I spent in the car, which wasn't even that cold). I hate the cold and we are now entering what is probably my favourite time of the year to be out and about. The weathers broken down a bit and its a bit colder out there, and bloody windy and wet. Hopefully the nice stuff will be back and we'll finally have an "Indian summer" that the Daily Express promises us year in, year out.

I could see it was reasonably still in Glencoe so made a stop here. I've been here several times before and I tend to take my workshop clients to this spot as the cottage is such a fantastic subject. I used to tell myself I would buy it if my numbers came up, but then again the Torrent of Hill walkers coming past your house might just get annoying.

_DSC0161 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Later on I did make it back to the Torren Lochan. It was very still but I didn't process any of the images as the trees were still a bit too bare and brown. I'll be back throughout the summer and I am hopeful for more clear still days. It's still early days and hopefully the Express will get the forecast right for once.

Rather than head to Skye (as I've done twice in the last week with the good weather) I thought I'd head to where I used to go with my folks on our family holiday. Torridon. I've walked round Loch Clair countless times and never have I seen it completely without cloud up in Torridon. Last Tuesday AM was my lucky day. Sadly there was a bit of a wind, despite the Met Office saying otherwise) around sunrise so the ripple free reflections that I love just didn't appear to about an hour after sunrise. Now that is the one problem with summer shooting and that is the light gets quite harsh quite quickly, particularly this far north. Still, what a wonderful place just to be.

_DSC0748 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The last weeks weather has been amazing. Lovely clear azure blue skies. I know the established norm in landscape photography is clear blue skies are bad for taking photographs but I disagree. In this part of the world they are almost certainly a rarer event than stormy skies, or the dark "moody" ones that are de rigueur these days. In that sense perhaps these images are different for the virtue of the fact they are completely cloudless - it's quite rare to see pretty much all of West Scotland look like this.

Anyway, I digress, these are just the sort of days that are made for me to head out with a camera. No need for thick jackets, waterproofs and awful wooly hats. Indeed I was in shorts and T shirt the whole time (bar the night I spent in the car, which wasn't even that cold). I hate the cold and we are now entering what is probably my favourite time of the year to be out and about. The weathers broken down a bit and its a bit colder out there, and bloody windy and wet. Hopefully the nice stuff will be back and we'll finally have an "Indian summer" that the Daily Express promises us year in, year out.

I could see it was reasonably still in Glencoe so made a stop here. I've been here several times before and I tend to take my workshop clients to this spot as the cottage is such a fantastic subject. I used to tell myself I would buy it if my numbers came up, but then again the Torrent of Hill walkers coming past your house might just get annoying.

_DSC0161 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Later on I did make it back to the Torren Lochan. It was very still but I didn't process any of the images as the trees were still a bit too bare and brown. I'll be back throughout the summer and I am hopeful for more clear still days. It's still early days and hopefully the Express will get the forecast right for once.

Rather than head to Skye (as I've done twice in the last week with the good weather) I thought I'd head to where I used to go with my folks on our family holiday. Torridon. I've walked round Loch Clair countless times and never have I seen it completely without cloud up in Torridon. Last Tuesday AM was my lucky day. Sadly there was a bit of a wind, despite the Met Office saying otherwise) around sunrise so the ripple free reflections that I love just didn't appear to about an hour after sunrise. Now that is the one problem with summer shooting and that is the light gets quite harsh quite quickly, particularly this far north. Still, what a wonderful place just to be.

_DSC0748 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Love the first one!

Can't help think that both would be better for a bit more width, especially #2 although that reflection is superb.

Any wider in two and there's another telegraph pole with an ugly box on it ;) plus a ripple.

Went tighter with one as too much blue sky might be too much of a good thing and also there's a fence pole cropped out

Back