Total insanity has the world gone mad

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Just been looking through this mornings social media posts ,and some lunatic has taken a chainsaw to the llyn brenig osprey nest pole . It’s believed the nest had at least one egg in it .
I just can’t understand the mentality of this . You can only assume it’s a fisherman with a grudge as it’s been done from a boat but why

That is absolutley shocking - some people are just plain stupid :mad:

Brenig Osprey Project partners woke up this morning to the worst possible news. Last night 30/4/21 , at 21.42, someone took a chainsaw to the osprey nest and felled it. This is a fast-moving situation and we’ll issue more news of the birds when we can – please, please be kind to staff this weekend as we work out how to respond to this horrific act of vandalism.

For a start – if you have any information that can help us identifying the individuals responsible, please let us know or contact the police with crime reference 2059734.

Unbelievable that such mindless people are still out there, let's hope that the Ospreys will cope with this terrible blow.

What is wrong with people, what goes through their minds to do this kind of thing? Obvious answer is not very much but........

I can find no words to describe how I feel about the mindless morons that do this sort of thing.

It’s believed the nest had at least one egg

Wild bird of prey eggs are worth a fortune to private collectors.
I wonder if that was the motive?
Cut it down, hope the nest or eggs float?

You can only assume it’s a fisherman with a grudge as it’s been done from a boat but why

Surely not worth the consequences of getting caught ........now an egg collector maybe.......:thinking:

Wild bird of prey eggs are worth a fortune to private collectors.
I wonder if that was the motive?
Cut it down, hope the nest or eggs float?

Great minds n'all that ;)

It could be an egg collector, but the Facebook page for Llyn Brenig Ospreys (https://www.facebook.com/brenigospreyproject/) says it happened at 9:42 last night. As this was about an hour after sunset I think the chances of grabbing the egg from the water would be slim, though I have read some egg collectors go to extreme length to get an egg.

Perhaps a angler - Llyn Brenig is, it seems, and important stocked lake.

Or, some idiot - bit like those who have destroyed wildlife hides.

A sad outcome.

Dave

more than likely a fisherman with grudge about them taking fish . the whole area apparently is covered with cameras so hope they can track someone .

It's unpleasant that such things happen but it's hardly unexpected. There have always been troublesome people in the world and you can only count yourself lucky if you haven't met them.

My daughter and son-in-law spend most of their working hours dealing with them and the consequences of their actions. If you really don't like people behaving like that, you need to persuade your elected representatives to bring in tougher consequences for such behaviour. Doing so will cost us a lot more in taxes, which is fine by me but seems to be a "no way Jose" situation for many.

I just saw that on the BBC news site a few minutes ago. I despair of the human race.

if it was an egg thief then it’s perfectly rational behaviour, like dog theft etc and goes on everywhere sadly :(.

It's unpleasant that such things happen but it's hardly unexpected. There have always been troublesome people in the world and you can only count yourself lucky if you haven't met them.

My daughter and son-in-law spend most of their working hours dealing with them and the consequences of their actions. If you really don't like people behaving like that, you need to persuade your elected representatives to bring in tougher consequences for such behaviour. Doing so will cost us a lot more in taxes, which is fine by me but seems to be a "no way Jose" situation for many.
I thought that the risk of being caught was more important than hanging, shooting, drawing or quartering?

I thought that the risk of being caught was more important than hanging, shooting, drawing or quartering?

Catching them is more expensive, and ‘educating’ them even more so -- that’s why politicians offer hanging etc to a gullible public :(. But you know that!

Some very sad people in the world that do things like this, it's just sad and sick imo.

Not defending them, and in any case we don’t know who or why in the case of the Ospreys, but if it is a lake stocked by anglers I can partly sympathise.

I more easily sympathise with the pigeon fanciers referenced in @rob-nikon ‘s post. It’s ver difficult for them when a Peregrine takes up residence nearby and starts picking off their prized birds :(. I don’t know what the answer is, except not poisoning.

I’m sure I’ve posted here before that I have a female Sparrohawk that kills regularly in my garden and once carried off one of my bantie hens outside my kitchen door. At that moment if I’d had a shotgun (which I don't possess) I would have shot it - as it happened the hen must have fought it off since she returned later :). Maybe I’d shoot the Peregrine if I was a pigeon racer :(.

Not defending them, and in any case we don’t know who or why in the case of the Ospreys, but if it is a lake stocked by anglers I can partly sympathise.

I more easily sympathise with the pigeon fanciers referenced in @rob-nikon ‘s post. It’s ver difficult for them when a Peregrine takes up residence nearby and starts picking off their prized birds :(. I don’t know what the answer is, except not poisoning.

I’m sure I’ve posted here before that I have a female Sparrohawk that kills regularly in my garden and once carried off one of my bantie hens outside my kitchen door. At that moment if I’d had a shotgun (which I don't possess) I would have shot it - as it happened the hen must have fought it off since she returned later :). Maybe I’d shoot the Peregrine if I was a pigeon racer :(.

:thinking:

It was a nesting pole, not some random nest in a waterside location. Therefore, can I surmise that any anglers who fish in the area have been given to presume a possible impact on fish in there.....so more to the 'issue' meets the eye?

As for raptor taking a person's prized birds, I can understand the angst & anger that may provoke. However, in many cases there might be interventions that could be put in place to reduce or even stop such activity......short of fatal ones.

Over the years there have been all too many reports of 'bad apple' gamekeepers killing raptors on "grouse moors".

We certainly do need to see stronger legal action taken against the likes of whoever perpetrated the act on the OP.

It's much easier to destroy than to create. I think that's why humanity is so good at it.

I too despair.

And am reminded of this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESyJop31cmY

A poignant and timely reminder that when something in nature has been destroyed, no action can ever make up for the loss or damage even by planting another.

Of the worst:-
Loss of virgin native forest to plant monoculture of Palm Oil plantations.
The seemingly unstoppable loss across the Amazonian region.

There are times when I despair of what the future of 'natural world' will be the next 100 years. :(

I can understand there could be conflicts between different parties when they are reintroduced. Its understanding the potential conflicts that could arise and stopping them before something like this happens.

The trout farm close to Rutland Water was losing trout to the Rutland ospreys. They’ve diversified by introducing hides to one of their ponds (I gather the rest were covered with netting). Photographers now pay to use the hides and it offsets the losses in trout.finding that kind of solution isn’t easy for many problems as they’re more complex.

I think it's unlikely to be an angler that fishes Brenig; as I understand it, this reservoir is not stocked with fish by an angling club, it's run on a commercial basis by Welsh Water, who also run an osprey observation area, a nestcam and bird hide, in conjunction with North Wales Wildlife Trust. Also, I'm led to believe that the ospreys that nest at Brenig don't often take fish from there, but feed on other waters further afield. Also, I think most fly fishers who frequent that area enjoy seeing the birds and do not resent their presence.

I hope whoever has done this is brought to justice and given a severe punishment. I believe the original £5,000 limit to the fine may have been changed due to an increase in the fining power of magistrates courts, who can now give unlimited fines, as well as up to 6 months prison sentence for such offences. Also, multiple offences can be committed by a single illegal act, such as damaging or destroying a breeding site, taking or destroying an egg or eggs, deliberate disturbance of the birds, etc. so it would be possible for a person, upon conviction, to be fined and/or sentenced for each offence committed. Any machine, tool or implement used in an illegal act may also be seized. So, I hope they throw the book at the person/s involved if they catch them.

Last edited:
I can understand there could be conflicts between different parties when they are reintroduced. Its understanding the potential conflicts that could arise and stopping them before something like this happens.

The trout farm close to Rutland Water was losing trout to the Rutland ospreys. They’ve diversified by introducing hides to one of their ponds (I gather the rest were covered with netting). Photographers now pay to use the hides and it offsets the losses in trout.finding that kind of solution isn’t easy for many problems as they’re more complex.

Just to be clear, I was responding in a general way to @Fuji Dave ‘s general ‘despairing’ point to say we don’t know (as far as I know) what the full details are of the Osprey incident and there may be all sorts of local conflicts going on in these cases that we don’t know about that lead to them.

The Rutland Water situation sounds good. I know very little about angling but I guess a trout fishery may present fewer problems than one one those giant old ‘prized‘ Carp lakes :(. Though an Osprey may drown if it attempts to take a fish too big to lift :(.

That's the human waste for you stealing precious oxygen from those of us who derserve it.

You lads write ALOT of words !! Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic read ..but wow fair play

Jeff in answer to your title question

YES

Rich, fair comment:D I have me moments ................................

I'm not knocking it bro mind you orrible lot are so damn learned me I just waffle:p:LOL:

It just struck me last night how eloquent and thoughtful many of the posts were in this thread it's genuinely thought provoking:) .

To me it seems like someone with a grudge must have done it. Who or what that might be about we just can't say. Lets hope the culprit is found and prosecuted.

However (and this relates to Box Brownie's post above) it is very rarely that anyone suspected of wildlife crime gets taken to court, and even if they are, and found guilty, they are usually given little more than a slapped wrist. It really is time that attitudes changed regarding the killing of birds of prey.

Last edited:
To me it seems like someone with a grudge must have done it. Who or what that might be about we just can't say. Lets hope the culprit is found and prosecuted.

However (and this relates to Box Brownie's post above) it is very rarely that anyone suspected of wildlife crime gets taken to court, and even if they are, and found guilty, they are usually given little more than a slapped wrist. It really is time that attitudes changed regarding the killing of birds of prey.

It does indeed seem that any crime that is not against 'the person' or physical property is somehow of lesser "social value".

But those that fly tip, moorland arson, raptor killing/persecution et al diminish us as a society and until such crimes are punished more appropriately the criminals and the public will not treat it as a wider & serious matter :(

It might be that Covid19 and the lockdown waking folk up to value of nature for both physical & mental health might trigger a greater backlash against those that damage any aspect of the natural world???

I'd like to think that you were right on the last point but I fear that may not be the case. This morning I heard a farmer on the radio bemoaning about what happened after lockdown was eased last year . I'm not usually sympathetic to farmers' moans but he had seen some really thoughtless and stupid things. It puts human behaviour in a different light.

If you'd like to know more about the goings in the world of raptor persecution, and the almost complete unwillingness of the authorities to do anything about it, and it really opened up my eyes, I can highly recommend this site -

Back