Total junk or is there something there ?

Name
stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a strange post for me as A- I dont shoot landscapes......ever and B- when I take a shot I know within 2 seconds if I like it or not. Anyway as im a wedding photographer and pretty much been out of work from March I decided I needed to take the camera out . With out a bride or a groom Im pretty much stuck on what to shoot lol so I thought Id go out and shoot something to remind me or reflect the frame of mind I need to stay in . (does that even make sense) So I came up with this ........Ive looked at it for the last 3 days and can't decide is it total scrap or is there something there? I would welcome your honest thoughts.

2 by stuart macrory, on Flickr

Showing it on white background is not helping but a look on Flickr shows it

It is not total junk I think it would work quite nicely framed correctly I personally would go for a crop with a band of the sky about half the width of the dark area of sea.

Showing it on white background is not helping but a look on Flickr shows it

It is not total junk I think it would work quite nicely framed correctly I personally would go for a crop with a band of the sky about half the width of the dark area of sea.
Thanks for the feedback . yes Ill have a play with crops .

The thing with work like this on forums like this is the lack of context and intent. It could work as part of a collection in an exhibition or book but on its own it is difficult to understand. I'm tempted to say that having people on here write it off is a good place to start with something more meaningful :LOL:

Must admit Stuart, that it doesn't work for me either, but at least you're trying something out of your comfort zone, and it's a start. Perhaps give yourself a project to work on!

I myself was a wedding and portrait photographer till I retired, and then I started doing landscapes. That was out of my comfort zone, but I soon began to enjoy it, and now absolutely love shooting landscapes, and have learned a lot since I started - still learning of course!
I would love to do some street photography too, but that is WAY out of my comfort zone. I haven't really got the nerve to take candids of people in the street, though have done about half a dozen. .....It's not quite the same as directing people at weddings!

Anyway, don't give up, it'll fill up some of the time till you can get back to weddings, and you may well be pleased you tried something different. Good luck!
BTW, I took a look at your wedding shots on Flickr, and very nice they are too (y) :)

Must admit Stuart, that it doesn't work for me either, but at least you're trying something out of your comfort zone, and it's a start. Perhaps give yourself a project to work on!

I myself was a wedding and portrait photographer till I retired, and then I started doing landscapes. That was out of my comfort zone, but I soon began to enjoy it, and now absolutely love shooting landscapes, and have learned a lot since I started - still learning of course!
I would love to do some street photography too, but that is WAY out of my comfort zone. I haven't really got the nerve to take candids of people in the street, though have done about half a dozen. .....It's not quite the same as directing people at weddings!

Anyway, don't give up, it'll fill up some of the time till you can get back to weddings, and you may well be pleased you tried something different. Good luck!
BTW, I took a look at your wedding shots on Flickr, and very nice they are too (y) :)
Hi and thanks for the reply. I do quite a bit of hiking so I may have a go at a few mountain scenes instead of my last arty farty attempt lol As you say , it will keep me busy or at least entertained until I can find a few bride and grooms :)

Looks like a good start to me.

As @sirch says, it may well work better as part of a series. Go out and play around making more in the same vein.(y)

I quite like it. I imagine it would print quite well, especially larger. As mentioned above, a series would be a good way forward. You should persevere with it. Not all landscapes are about the formulaic norm.

It doesn't work for me either - sorry, its just bland and I struggle to see where your focus point was/is

Les :)

I quite like it cropped so that just a little bit of the white sky shows but not how you've got it at the moment

B&W in this scene doesn't work for me at all, even with almost all the sky cropped out. A colour version might work better.

Back