Tour of Britain 2016 - Stage 5, they're here!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
After a long wait for most people at Kelston on the route to the finish in Bath, the riders of the Tour of Britain 2016 eventually arrived.
Although most onlookers expected the whole thing to be over in a few seconds, the passage of the Tour through Kelston took quite a few minutes as the breakaway leader Jonathan McEvoy was well in front, so much so that many of the spectators assumed that he was just another club cyclist following the route!

Jonathan McEvoy leads the race, almost unnoticed by the onlookers!

Leader_zpsaskk8p0o.jpg

Hang on, was that the race leader?

Is-It_zpszqs6nnun.jpg

Here comes the Peloton.

Peloton_zpstpnbjx0p.jpg

Puncture!

Puncture2_zpsp8jbki99.jpg

Team Wiggins ... taking it easy?

Team%20Wiggins_zpsceaqukav.jpg

Some good shots there gramps ... but yesterday was Stage 5. Bristol on Saturday will be Stage 7 :)

I went acroos to Usk yesterday morning for the sprint and then to Wickwar to see then come up the slope into the High Street but there were too many locals crowding the pavement so had to move and didn't get any worthwhile shots :(

Are you going to be shooting the race on Saturday? I'm only going for the afternoon circuit race - maybe we coould meet up?

Some good shots there gramps ... but yesterday was Stage 5. Bristol on Saturday will be Stage 7 :)

I went acroos to Usk yesterday morning for the sprint and then to Wickwar to see then come up the slope into the High Street but there were too many locals crowding the pavement so had to move and didn't get any worthwhile shots :(

Are you going to be shooting the race on Saturday? I'm only going for the afternoon circuit race - maybe we coould meet up?

@Bristolian
Oops, you're right Steve I have Stages 5 & 7 in my mind.
I am hoping to shoot the race tomorrow but TBH it very much depends on the weather ... as parking will be so limited I'll be hoping to get the wife to drop me off and then move around on foot, don't want to get a soaking for me or the kit. :)
Part of me wonders if it will be so crowded that the same problems that you experienced in Wickwar will be the case.
Weather forecast at the moment looks to be better in the afternoon, where were you planning to be?

Love number 3, instantly British!

I was in Bath, lucky enough to meet Sir Bradley after and get a photo with him, such a nice bloke. Had loads of time for the kids despite his team insisting he needed to leave (all the other team buses had long gone by this point!)

Love number 3, instantly British!

I was in Bath, lucky enough to meet Sir Bradley after and get a photo with him, such a nice bloke. Had loads of time for the kids despite his team insisting he needed to leave (all the other team buses had long gone by this point!)

I heard that he was very generous with his time the local news revealed that they couldn't get a word with him as he was so busy with signing autographs and doing selfies ... good on him :)

@Bristolian
Oops, you're right Steve I have Stages 5 & 7 in my mind.
I am hoping to shoot the race tomorrow but TBH it very much depends on the weather ... as parking will be so limited I'll be hoping to get the wife to drop me off and then move around on foot, don't want to get a soaking for me or the kit. :)
Part of me wonders if it will be so crowded that the same problems that you experienced in Wickwar will be the case.
Weather forecast at the moment looks to be better in the afternoon, where were you planning to be?

My plans are to go in the afternoon as the rain is supposed to stop around lunchtime. Looking at the route map, I thought I would try to get by the crossroads at the top of Bridge Valley Road as this gives the chance to see the riders twice each lap - not greedy at all :)

As you say, parking will be limited and traffic chaotic so I'm going to drive down to Avonmouth, get the train to Clifton and then walk ... I don't like walking :(

My plans are to go in the afternoon as the rain is supposed to stop around lunchtime. Looking at the route map, I thought I would try to get by the crossroads at the top of Bridge Valley Road as this gives the chance to see the riders twice each lap - not greedy at all :)

As you say, parking will be limited and traffic chaotic so I'm going to drive down to Avonmouth, get the train to Clifton and then walk ... I don't like walking :(

Okay, I'm in two minds about The Downs or nearer home around the Cumberland Basin as I will be walking too!
If I get up to The Downs I will look out for you at the crossroads but I suspect it will be very busy there ... mind you could be some great photos if you can avoid heads and camera-phones. :D
Bridge Valley Road would be my choice but there is talk of restrictions there so likely to be a scramble so I won't bother :(

nice set gramps it got to be the puncture shot for me cant beat a bit of drama

Thanks Rab ... the puncture happened right beside of me and I had to get out the way of the opening car door as the guy fell out with the replacement wheel!

Some good shots there gramps. I was in Bath and yesterday at Haytor but fail miserably to get any of Wiggo or Cav.

Thanks Andrew - strangely Wiggo isn't always easy to see!
I photographed the time trial yesterday and thought I had got every rider, but Wiggo isn't there :thinking:
Got him later though :)

Back