Towards Canisp

Impressive scene & strong & dramatic image. (Shame about the telegraph poles!)

...and the road. The road and the poles detract IMHO from the natural beauty of the area. Shame really as the rest of the picture is really rather good.

I can accept the kink in the road jars a bit but again i like the road being in.

Assynt is my favourite place. The beautiful ruggedness of the area is simply stunning at any time of year

I think it's a lovely view.
Poles and road? Well, that's part of the view.
Remove them and suddenly it's not the "true" view.

I’ve got it as part of a pano i did from stoer head. My current laptop isnt up to stitching the images together so need to wait till home for processing. When out yesterday i got my wife to drop me on the road south of Clach Toll and i just wandered back towards Stoer Head popping up and down the road and nearby drumlins taking photos. I’ve got some with Canisp and Suilven in the frame but didn’t get to a point where i could see Stac Pollaidh.

I think it's a lovely view.
Poles and road? Well, that's part of the view.
Remove them and suddenly it's not the "true" view.

You’re right but part of me wants to see this as it was before people came along or at least modern industrial life appeared. Same place, same view, same light and conditions but before the road was laid and the poles put up. Perhaps my comment was unfair as the shot was taken and is as is - and it’s a fine rendition and composition.

In some places it’s possible to get an “untouched view” - particularly in Glencoe area - the Rannoch Moor, Buachaille views are uncorrupted by road, pylons etc and would look the same 250 years ago.

I often wondered if that’s the real reason the Glencoe area is so popular - not just that the popular good views are roadside handy but because what you point the camera at is utterly devoid with any obvious human interaction. It’s a huge part of the appeal for me and something I try to think on when composing a picture.

Last edited:
Same place, same view, same light and conditions but before the road was laid and the poles put up.

You only have to walk 50 yards off this road to find almost exactly what you're talking about. There will be a lot of human interference, e.g. damming a burn to form a lake but you would never know in the general landscape. I know you do Torridon, do you ever get north of Lochinver?

The areas are not really untouched because a lot of trees were cut down. The telegraph poles in a lot of that area have been taken down, e.g. Lochinver south to Stac Pollaidh. I thought they added to the roads they were on.

You only have to walk 50 yards off this road to find almost exactly what you're talking about. There will be a lot of human interference, e.g. damming a burn to form a lake but you would never know in the general landscape. I know you do Torridon, do you ever get north of Lochinver?

Not for a very very long time. Being a reflections kind of guy I’ve not found a day still enough to make the trip

The areas are not really untouched because a lot of trees were cut down. The telegraph poles in a lot of that area have been taken down, e.g. Lochinver south to Stac Pollaidh. I thought they added to the roads they were on.

Perhaps but what has replaced the trees is entirely natural and the aesthetic/feeling is that of being in nature and the wilderness. When you shoot something with a road and pylons in it that clearly isn’t the case.

A lot of our landscapes have man made subjects in them and it’s not always a negative thing but roads and poles don’t work for me as a general rule of thumb

The poles do jar with me but the road is OK and can be presented with or without it. As presented, the road provides a hint of a lead in from the left bottom corner but a little crop from the bottom removes it, it can work with or without.

One of my favourite locations, Kilchurn Castle, suffers with pylons behind it, Steve will know all about these too. :LOL:

It’s a tough one, with the pylons etc. Part of me cries out to remove them in PP from certain scenes but on the flip side I run workshops so have to be careful not to misrepresent a scene in my final image. I tend to just leave them in and try and hide them with something if possible lol

I really like the compression of the landscape, and it is enough that it would work hundreds of years ago without the road and pylons. But equally they are there and you have used them well. The only thing I would do is colour correct the distant mountain slightly actually.

Back