Towards London at 140mph

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Something slightly different to my usual car stuff. i found a nice place to sit along side HS1 to practice some panning shots.

So i waited for the sun to start to go down and waited for the train

This is the best shot i got, i tried to get the whole train in focus but i like the result i got.

High Speed by Michael Hamilton, on Flickr

Let me know what you think?

Mike

I really like that, i think having just the front of the train in focus works really well and portrays the speed of the train well.

Works well for me Mike

As Kyle mentions about a crop, I'd be tempted to go for more of a panoramic crop, say 12 x 4 to mimic the train and lose some of the dead foreground and sky.

Agree with what ian-83 said, perhaps go for a tighter crop so the front of the train is bigger, maybe even chop off a bit on the back to really "zoom in"?
:agree::agree:

Nice work Mike, I like it. I'd be interested to see both crop suggestions.

I came on to post my Clan Line and saw this one..It's really good to try something like this and it's worked well. I'm not sure I agree about taking a bit off the end though to get in on the loco as the train isn't long enough for that,I don't think, so,if you were to try the crop I'd bring it to close to the rear and take some off the front. and from the foreground .I'm not advocating you do a crop anyway but if you are minded to that might be better than what has been suggested. You could always undo it.

Hello

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks for all your comments

I like it! How many attempts did it take? :p
I must have took about 15 - 20 per train. and got 1-2 good photos per batch. This was the best of the whole hour or so i was there

Agree with what ian-83 said, perhaps go for a tighter crop so the front of the train is bigger, maybe even chop off a bit on the back to really "zoom in"?

Works well for me Mike

As Kyle mentions about a crop, I'd be tempted to go for more of a panoramic crop, say 12 x 4 to mimic the train and lose some of the dead foreground and sky.

This has already been cropped in quite a bit, any more and i would start loosing image quality on the train. I do have a Eurostar photo to edit up which is zoomed in much firther but i have been busy with other things.

Panning appears to be the dark art no one who does it successfully like above shares their settings :(

I have no idea how to really approach panning, handheld/monopod/tripod? Shutter speed? etc would love to give it a go though.

Panning appears to be the dark art no one who does it successfully like above shares their settings :(

I have no idea how to really approach panning, handheld/monopod/tripod? Shutter speed? etc would love to give it a go though.

View attachment 37741

This was handheld with a polarizing filter. i had the focus on AI servo and using only a single auto focus point as a reference

Last edited:
Back