@Phil-D + Lynne
@Dark Knight
@Cobra
@blakester
@michael23 + partner and brother
@Downton Mini + brother
@gramps
@posiview

Hope I haven't missed anyone, apologies if I have as I "'ad a few last night" and apologies for forgetting names, I'm not good with them :)

#1, not the best but I rather like the starkness of it
#2, I didn't really get the crowd movement I was after, which is this (and I see the lens flare :banghead:) eye piece was covered but light leaked in from the side of the filter.

Post away :)

Clouds in bed by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

Ghosts by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

2nds a cracker Andy, is that with the 16 stop?

I didn't take many either but I'm sure that's a good thing :)

A couple from me, not sure on the 2nd one. I took the shot with the PP'ing in mind, done using layers and then the cloning tool.

Cheers again for organising Andy, was a good day out (y).............. after me lost phone scare on Friday evening!!! :oops: :$ :rolleyes: :D

Railway Memorial.jpg

Hands-resized.jpg

Shot at Dawn

Shot.jpg

View attachment 96117

Private Jimmy Smith joined the British army to fight and protect his country. But after fighting gallantly at Gallipoli Campaign in 1915 and the Battle of the Somme during the First World War, his own best friend was ordered to kill him at a firing squad. What was his crime? He deserted the army and had to pay with his own life, in a gruesome and disgraceful manner.
Even though Smith received two good conduct medals for fighting in the Somme where he was badly injured as well as returning to the frontline during the Battle of Ypres in Belgium in 1917, the brave soldier was named a coward and executed by his own friend – Private Richard Blundell.
As if having to shoot his friend in a firing squad was not enough, Blundell was ordered to apply the ‘coupe de grace’ on Smith as the shooting did not complete the job. Until his death, Blundell lived with the torment and trauma of killing his friend and comrade in that tragic way in the course of the First World War.
As stated by his son William Blundell, before Richard Blundell’s death in February 1989, he was often heard hysterically murmuring ‘What a way to get leave, what a way to get leave.’
Jimmy was tied to a chair and blindfolded, and to indicate he was a target, a white disc was placed over his heart. Blundell and his comrades knowing Jimmy was a brave soldier only suffering from shell shock now known as Post traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD) and not a deserter deliberately tried to miss the target to keep him alive.
As a result, Jimmy was severely injured but not dead. To complete the execution, Blundell was the unfortunate one ordered to shoot him in the head. With shaking hands while watching his friend writhe in agony from his injuries, Blundell fired the last shot that ended Jimmy’s young life.

2nds a cracker Andy, is that with the 16 stop?

I didn't take many either but I'm sure that's a good thing :)

A couple from me, not sure on the 2nd one. I took the shot with the PP'ing in mind, done using layers and then the cloning tool.

Cheers again for organising Andy, was a good day out (y).............. after me lost phone scare on Friday evening!!! :oops: :$ :rolleyes: :D

View attachment 96103

View attachment 96104

Hi, Phil, #2 is 3 30 seconds photographs merged in PS. My 8 minute photograph suffered sever light leak not from the viewfinder but the side, school boy error :)

Great detain in #1, almost translucent. #2 is well processed but even though the BG was busy, I'd prefer it to be in (y)

Hi, Shot at Dawn is a very painful memorial and you've captured it well.

Regards.

@Phil-D ....cracking editing on the handshake....love it :notworthy::notworthy:

@posiview ...commented on flickr re nu 1......love the light on it , still not keen on the ghosts but I can see what you were aiming for :clap:

@gramps ....Shot at Dawn still makes me emotional :( Turns out I know someone who's great grandmothers husband has his name on one of the poles there , makes it even more horrific !

A few from me...didn't take many but really enjoyed the day (y)

Bit of a random one....not sure why but it caught my eye...
abstract by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Not certain this works but if you saw the statue then you'll get the image....color version is on my flickr..
Stare in awe by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Like this one....

Pride by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

lens distortion & ghosts made this one tricky to edit but been after it each time I've visited the place....
Centre piece by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

& finally ( possibly )
Loving memory by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

I have one more but it's a composite which is still a work in progress , if I get it right I'll post it during the week :D

After revisiting my shots I found a few that I quite liked.

DSC_3087-2.jpg
I think this sculpture is just fantastic.

DSC_3129-2.jpg
Again in a similar vein to the one above, I enjoyed this memorial for its simplicity.

DSC_3113-2.jpg
I think this memorial is best seen in full sunshine to appreciate the colours and light. This is a deliberate take on my part, the fact that nothing is sharp appeals to me, I like the abstract nature.

DSC_3148.jpg
I think we all took a shot of this one.

@Phil-D ....cracking editing on the handshake....love it :notworthy::notworthy:

@posiview ...commented on flickr re nu 1......love the light on it , still not keen on the ghosts but I can see what you were aiming for :clap:

@gramps ....Shot at Dawn still makes me emotional :( Turns out I know someone who's great grandmothers husband has his name on one of the poles there , makes it even more horrific !

A few from me...didn't take many but really enjoyed the day (y)

Bit of a random one....not sure why but it caught my eye...
abstract by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Not certain this works but if you saw the statue then you'll get the image....color version is on my flickr..
Stare in awe by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Like this one....

Pride by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

lens distortion & ghosts made this one tricky to edit but been after it each time I've visited the place....
Centre piece by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

& finally ( possibly )
Loving memory by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

I have one more but it's a composite which is still a work in progress , if I get it right I'll post it during the week :D

Love centre piece ... how on earth did you manage that without someone standing in front of you? :oops: :$

@blakester some nice ones there, I like the separation from background in the leaf head sculpture ... I failed in this by no getting close enough.
I like the shadows too, a really different treatment of the memorials that shows the importance of thinking the situation. :)

@blakester some nice ones there, I like the separation from background in the leaf head sculpture ... I failed in this by no getting close enough.
I like the shadows too, a really different treatment of the memorials that shows the importance of thinking the situation. :)

Thanks Roger.
I think the leaf head sculpture was my favourite from the memorials I managed to see yesterday.
I thought I'd aim for something different in shooting the shadows. I don't have the necessary filters etc to bring the sky down if I was going for the wider view.

A great collection there people (y)
@Phil-D I've no idea what or how you did that 1st one, but its really nice!
It was a very interesting, but a little sad at times, place.
The shot at dawn, statue, showed ( for me anyway) the ultimate ugly side of war!

But of course as some of you know, seriousness is something I don't do well, in photography at least ;) .....

The Daleks are coming, the Daleks are coming!

Dalek.jpg

Looks like someone forgot to wind the sundial this morning!

Sd.jpg

I really liked the way the sun ( when it made a brief appearance) caught this statue.
I'm slightly annoyed that I "blew" a few of the primaries though.

RAF.jpg

It was a great day, all that was missing from the day, was a lion, and a gob shot ....
Oh look what I found

Lion.jpg

Last edited:
@Phil-D I've no idea what or how you did that 1st one, but its really nice!

Thanks Chris, very little pp'ing on this, just a bit of lens distortion correction, cropped and a tweek on the sliders

It's the marble monument dedicated to railway workers, the picture appealed and I took the shot with cropping in mind, this is the SOOC shot, cheers

View attachment 96210

Some exceptional shots from a very emotional place, and everyone has their own take on it.
I have got some just need to process them and as usual Phil's hogging the monitor ;)
Lynne I like the tree it looks a bit like barb wire (or it does in my eyes)
Andy I'm liking the ghosts.

Loved the Pegasus...shame they don't exist
Really? who told you that?
:D

I really like the Tiger too!
God knows how I managed to miss it :(

Some cracking and emotive pictures from you all, it's on my to do list some time soon, (y)

Only just seen the thread, certainly a great set of pics from everyone! Really do like the stare in awe Lynne, (@blondie606 ) I completely missed it some how. @blakester quite like the shadows you did, work very well. @posiview liking the edit on the centre monument and strength multi shot i like too. @Cobra the daleks are coming, :D @Phil-D nice edit on the hands there. Just need to start looking through my mine to see if I have anything worth it.

@blakester ...love those shadow shots ....well spotted mister (y) & have no idea how you did it but the Head of Leaves sculpture actually looks alive ...awesome :notworthy:

@lyzzi ....Pegasus is wonderul ( I' sure they really do exist ! ) & the Naval memorial image , class shot that :clap:
:clap::clap:

@Cobra ....daleks :LOL: love the gob shot :D

Been playing in ps.....not entirely happy with but not got the patience to play any more , kinda what I was after...

1 by Lynne J Photography, on Flickr

@blondie606 Superb composite Lynne, great idea and very well put together :clap: (y)

@blakester ...love those shadow shots ....well spotted mister (y) & have no idea how you did it but the Head of Leaves sculpture actually looks alive ...awesome :notworthy:

@lyzzi ....Pegasus is wonderul ( I' sure they really do exist ! ) & the Naval memorial image , class shot that :clap:
:clap::clap:

@Cobra ....daleks :LOL: love the gob shot :D

Been playing in ps.....not entirely happy with but not got the patience to play any more , kinda what I was after...

1 by Lynne J Photography, on Flickr

Good work on the pp Lynne (y)
Thank you for your kind comments about the Leaf Head sculpture but any praise must go the the artist who created it. :D

Good shots Mark (y) Liking the butterfly, I completely missed that!

Evening, all, looking forward to a return trip.

@blondie606 I photographed #1 a few years ago, caught my eye as well. Centre piece is also well composed.
@blakester wonderful tones in #1 and the shadows show your creative side.
@lyzzi Pegasus, best of the submissions for me. Wonderful tones and textures. Really does POP :)
@michael23 #1 for me, very poignant and converted
@Downton Mini #3 for me. Nice conversion with subtle tones.

Cheers all.

Back