Notice TP 52'ers 2018 Challenge. Discussion thread Week 52 see the spoiler #2351

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you divide the image threads into two separate 'current week' and 'catch up weeks' then some
folks may just comment on the current week images and don't visit the catchup thread then those who are just 1 or 2 weeks behind may not even get any comments at all.
That was my concern too, Stan.

Purely going on @Bebop 's suggestion though, 1 thread for images / week may make the images more accessible and more likely to get comments,
rather than going back through the image thread, thoughts?

This would be my concern too. I know some people prefer to only comment on the current week's theme and that's their choice, but it could be discouraging, especially for new joiners, for their images to be easily ignored or overlooked. At least if they're all in the one thread they can be seen and then it's the viewers' choice whether to visit and comment.

:agree: I'm happy enough to comment on catchup images even if they are 3, 4 or even 6 weeks late. What I'm not keen on is people post 4 or 6 catchup shots all at once.

What I'm not keen on is people post 4 or 6 catchup shots all at once.
You aren't the only one to mention that either, that's why the separate weekly threads actually makes sense.
Unless you know different? (Feel free btw :) )

Just no.
If this happens, someone else can look after the spreadsheet.
I'm not trawling up to 52 threads to see what has been added.
I'm the only one allowed to do "Blackmail" Tim :p

Fair point and all that (y)
Its highly unlikely that Dean will be joining us next year (He's OK just the pressure of work)
Are you up for the spread sheet if the status quo remains?

I'm the only one allowed to do "Blackmail" Tim :p

Fair point and all that (y)
Its highly unlikely that Dean will be joining us next year (He's OK just the pressure of work)
Are you up for the spread sheet if the status quo remains?
I was going to PM you and ask if you want me to set up a spreadsheet for 2019.
Should I be considering
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-tp-52ers-challenge-2019.688004/
to be the/a signup thread? As there are one or two people indicating they would like to sign up.

If it becomes necessary for people to post catch ups, perhaps suggest spreading it over a couple of weeks or something similar depending on the amount of catch ups, commenting may come easier if there are just lets say 2 images posted by said people in that week. If that makes sense..

Discussion thread, perhaps have this as a combined sign up and discussion thread, after all it's all related.

Post #1 of the discussion thread to have the weekly themes, if you need to check what themes need to be done, just pop back to said post rather than having to click to go to another thread with the list in.

*Dunks a choccie biccie and looks at clock...

:wideyed:

Post #1 of the discussion thread to have the weekly themes, if you need to check what themes need to be done, just pop back to said post rather than having to click to go to another thread with the list in.
What's the difference of having to opening a thread, and going back to page one, than opening the dedicated thread?
and its there in ya face :)

Discussion thread, perhaps have this as a combined sign up and discussion thread, after all it's all related.
The idea of the sign up thread as I said last year is just for names, it saves the poor victim, I mean keeper of the spread sheet wading back through several posts.

*Dunks a choccie biccie and looks at clock...
I bet that's a bit soggy by now ? :D

Well, I'm a bit Lost as to what to post for a theme this week :thinking:

What's the difference of having to opening a thread, and going back to page one, than opening the dedicated thread?
and its there in ya face :)

The idea of the sign up thread as I said last year is just for names, it saves the poor victim, I mean keeper of the spread sheet wading back through several posts.

I bet that's a bit soggy by now ? :D
I see what you mean, I just liked the idea of having them in post one of the discussions thread rather than clicking into the 52 forum then going to that thread to see the list of themes. I could just jump back to page 1 from the discussion thread I am subscribed too. Its no big deal of course, just a general wondering as I couldn't sleep [emoji3]

Thanks for the theme @Cobra.

Just to wade in on the catch-ups / image threads debate. For me it wouldn’t matter how many threads you had, you would still end up going to that person’s image thread and there would be 3 or 4 images and I always feel a bit mean-spirited if I just comment on the last image posted and ignore the others. So even if you had a thread per week, I would still feel obliged to comment on whatever I hadn’t commented on in each individual’s thread. That said, if someone posts a catch up of more than 2 or 3 I usually just pick a couple that stand out to comment on, I am also less likely to give each photo much consideration if there is a catch up.

For me it wouldn’t matter how many threads you had, you would still end up going to that person’s image thread
I think you are right Chris TBH.

So even if you had a thread per week, I would still feel obliged to comment on whatever I hadn’t commented on in each individual’s thread.
I wonder if that's half the problem with people dropping out? they feel obliged to comment?
I've no idea what the take up will be like this year, we have about 14 so far, I'm sure they'll be more, and TBH I don't think that people should feel obliged to comment on every image every week,
especially if it run's in to "Dozens"
I'd like to say something like just comment on 5 or 6 (Max) but that could leave some people without any comments or encouragement.
Although I can't see away that releases people from feeling obliged, at one end of the spectrum, to CBA to comment at the other. As I say in the opening post "At least reciprocate" seems to work ... unless you know different?

Well, I've suggested before that one way to even out the commenting but reduce the burden is to have a guideline (not a rule, not anything that is enforced by more than a bit of tutting) that people should comment on the 4 posts before theirs in the main thread but you have never liked that idea :)

All that said I have been staying out of these debates because I really doubt I'll be doing it next year.

people should comment on the 4 posts before theirs in the main thread but you have never liked that idea :)
I remember Chris, and someone else said it too, my reply was that it then becomes like all these flicker groups. Post one
comment 3 I'm not sure that is the way we want to go, but then reading between the lines, on some of the comments, some people seem to need "structure" rather than " do this if you want to."
but you don't have to.

I really doubt I'll be doing it next year.
That's a shame Chris, your'll be missed. All I'll add is have a read through ( the as yet un posted) guidelines, for 2019, (once I post them, that is.)
As there are a few changes for next year, before you make up your mind either way (y)

Hows about a meet up? Andrea can lead the singing!;)

Every year I do a nutters meet at Whipsnade Zoo high in the chilterns ( You have to be a nutter to attend) Mid Jan.
Every one is welcome :)
Would of loved to come, but just checked on the website and quite surprised to see they do not hire out Mobility Scooters:(

Would of loved to come, but just checked on the website and quite surprised to see they do not hire out Mobility Scooters:(
That's probably because You can take your car in ( £12 in the winter months) and park quite close to all the enclosures.
It depends on how mobile ( or not) you actually are.

Interesting how for the first time since I have been following the 52 there has been an event that seams to of touched almost everyone this year, the 100 year anniversary of WW1. Some of the photo tributes that have been done in the 52 are very poignant. Good stuff IMHO.

Well, I've suggested before that one way to even out the commenting but reduce the burden is to have a guideline (not a rule, not anything that is enforced by more than a bit of tutting) that people should comment on the 4 posts before theirs in the main thread but you have never liked that idea :)

All that said I have been staying out of these debates because I really doubt I'll be doing it next year.

I actually think that idea has wheels tbh....

I got fed up with the tit for tat commenting whilst being buried at work, but the above may work for me......

Who knows what's going to come out of the hat? If only reptiles liked the cold, we'd know sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back