TP Lakes Meet photographs

Some great shots here, well worth a look. Hard to beat the Lakes.

Really liking the first three Tim.

The second set you have put up look verrrrrry saturated to my eye - especially the jetty one!

Really liking the first three Tim.

The second set you have put up look verrrrrry saturated to my eye - especially the jetty one!
thanks Adrian. i agree with the second set been a tad over saturated now i have exported from LR. i think with the jetty one i am trying too hard to make a decent shot out of flat boring skies and an average composition.

thanks Adrian. i agree with the second set been a tad over saturated now i have exported from LR. i think with the jetty one i am trying too hard to make a decent shot out of flat boring skies and an average composition.

Yep, I tried pulling something from my jet shot but couldn't so binned it - might revisit later but I think the light was just too flat to get an interesting shot.

Cheers Andy.

I thought about cropping out that sky, but it'd cut into the hill on the right so I'm not sure I want to do that.

I can GUARANTEE that that is log is, was and always will be untouched by me! That is exactly where I found it, though I'll admit I did move stuff for a few other shots ;)

I've been a bit all over just lately with me post processing but thanks to Adrian @Buck , he lent me his Colormunki and I've calibrated mi monitor. I've tried to take a little longer with this one, what's it look like to everyone else? Hopefully not over done owt but I need ya to be honest ;) cheers :)

Water fall at Blea Tarn

Water fall Blea Tarn by Phil Dyson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been a bit all over just lately with me post processing but thanks to Adrian @Buck , he lent me his Colormunki and I've calibrated mi monitor. I've tried to take a little longer with this one, what's it look like to everyone else? Hopefully not over done owt but I need ya to be honest ;) cheers :)

Water fall at Blea Tarn

I am only looking at this on my phone but it looks like you have got more detail and contrast out of the rocks, the processing looks OK to me and not over done although a slight touch of vibrance might help.

I would do something with the bottom left and right corners. On the left the green of the plants takes your eye away from the main subject of the image. The right bottom corner is also too bright and does the same.

Nice image though phil.

Water fall at Blea Tarn

Really nice, but to me it could do to be a little darker as the rocks are a touch washed out on my (crap works) screen. I also think there's too much movement in the water; I like it when there's movement but it's still recognizable as water :)

Nice composition though :)

I am only looking at this on my phone but it looks like you have got more detail and contrast out of the rocks, the processing looks OK to me and not over done although a slight touch of vibrance might help.

I would do something with the bottom left and right corners. On the left the green of the plants takes your eye away from the main subject of the image. The right bottom corner is also too bright and does the same.

Nice image though phil.

Thanks Tim (y) I nearly cloned the greenery from the bottom left as well :banghead: :D bottom right didn't look too bad, but I see exactly what ya mean. The greens on this monitor look bordering on being a touch too green tbh, I was expecting someone to say I'd over done it and it was too green :confused: cheers :)

Really nice, but to me it could do to be a little darker as the rocks are a touch washed out on my (crap works) screen. I also think there's too much movement in the water; I like it when there's movement but it's still recognizable as water :)

Nice composition though :)

Thanks Mark, I'm a bit take or leave this milky water stuff as well but I had to have a go, in fact I did quite a bit :D So to you, the rocks look a bit bright? I'll make a note and possibly take another look, cheers :)

Last edited:
Some lovely shots you've all got there.

I like what you've done with filters too, I really missed having usable filters having moved from crop to full frame. Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but anyone have any brief thoughts about if I go for the Lee Foundation holder and 77mm ring with a selection of Kood 100mm graduated and full ND filters? I seem to be able to get a reasonable setup for around £150 which is more reasonable than a similar Lee setup at about £300 - my last set were very cheap at £16 all in but got decent results on a crop sensor.

A Northumberland meet sounds good, I'm off again next weekend with my cousin and I think we'll brave sunrise again. Would love to get my filter situation sorted out for that trip.

Cheers

Some lovely shots you've all got there.

I like what you've done with filters too, I really missed having usable filters having moved from crop to full frame. Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but anyone have any brief thoughts about if I go for the Lee Foundation holder and 77mm ring with a selection of Kood 100mm graduated and full ND filters? I seem to be able to get a reasonable setup for around £150 which is more reasonable than a similar Lee setup at about £300 - my last set were very cheap at £16 all in but got decent results on a crop sensor.

A Northumberland meet sounds good, I'm off again next weekend with my cousin and I think we'll brave sunrise again. Would love to get my filter situation sorted out for that trip.

Cheers

Dan

Having built up my filters first with Cokin then across to Lee, I would buy the Lee filter holder (remembering you need the relevant filter ring for your lens - if it's 77mm go for the wide angle to minimise vignetting)

You can then use and compatible filters in that set up - just watch the thickness. I can't remember what Lee are but some other makes are over 3mm and won't fit.

I'd then keep an eye on the classifieds and eBay as occasional bargains do crop up. My common filters apart from the big stopper and polariser are the 0.6 and 0.9 soft edge (a lot of the time together). There is a constant debate re soft edge or hard edge. I find the soft edge more versatile if you are going for one or the other.

When are you going up to Northumberland? If I'm not planning anything, you're welcome to borrow my Lee set up if you haven't sorted anything by then?

Back