Captive TP member at The Hawk Conservancy - 29th March 2019?

It wasn't me and I've not been there for years.
My girlfriend has never been there so we are planning a visit this year.

I hope the birdie didn't do a whoopsy

It wasn't me and I've not been there for years.
My girlfriend has never been there so we are planning a visit this year.
It's definitely worth a visit if you like birds. I know they are not wild, but it is a wonderful experience seeing the displays and having them fly so close. I've become a member and this was my 4th visit. Each time the displays and talks have been a little different and they do some great conservation work too.

I hope the birdie didn't do a whoopsy
He didn't hang around long :)

It's definitely worth a visit if you like birds. I know they are not wild, but it is a wonderful experience seeing the displays and having them fly so close. I've become a member and this was my 4th visit. Each time the displays and talks have been a little different and they do some great conservation work too.
He didn't hang around long :)

A group of us from here went there, I might try and organise another meet up as it was a good day out.
Do they still have the secretary bird there?
The peregrine falcon demonstration was fantastic and trying to get a photo of it on flight was more than a challenge.
I've just dug into my archive, I did't realise it's almost 9 years since we were there.

hs1

A group of us from here went there, I might try and organise another meet up as it was a good day out.
Do they still have the secretary bird there?
The peregrine falcon demonstration was fantastic and trying to get a photo of it on flight was more than a challenge.
I've just dug into my archive, I did't realise it's almost 9 years since we were there.

hs1
Yes I think they either have two secretary birds, or else they moved the one they had whilst I was watching a display, so I suspect they have two.

No horseback riders or costumes this time, but they flew the snowy owl, which I'd not seen before - in the savannah arena. I think at this time of year they are just getting the birds' fitness back for flying.

The peregrine was a real challenge. Managed to get this one as it came in for the lure. I'd not seen the Boobook Owl in flight before, and they flew the kookaburra!

190329141405-BC545340.jpg

I hope he had some friends who got the same shot..

I've never heard of them before, so just checked out and wow, they are in reasonable driving distance for a day out.....

I hope he had some friends who got the same shot..

I've never heard of them before, so just checked out and wow, they are in reasonable driving distance for a day out.....

It’s worth visiting Ellie. The commentary is superb, and it’s lovely to see the birds flying and not tethered or caged.

Last edited:
Is that the place just across the road from Thruxton? If so, we went about 25 years ago on a handling experience flying Harris Hawks. Wasn't into photography as much back then so no pics, just fond memories (including Mrs Nod having her hair parted by a Black Kite as it swooped down for a bit of chick!)

Is that the place just across the road from Thruxton? If so, we went about 25 years ago on a handling experience flying Harris Hawks. Wasn't into photography as much back then so no pics, just fond memories (including Mrs Nod having her hair parted by a Black Kite as it swooped down for a bit of chick!)
yes, near there. They do come in very close - the vultures too and they are huge!

These are SOOC and not great pics, but you get the idea... you have to duck!

190329142947-BC545420.jpg190329160359-BC545634.jpg190329160400-BC545635.jpg

Looks very interesting did tell hubby when he phoned from work, about it... He said when!

Tis on the 'to do' list but after seeing the photographs, it's at the top, several lines down, middle and repeated at the bottom of the list :) .

Great place to go. The displays give plenty of opportunities to get some good bird in flight shots. I’m a wheelchair user and had I years pass for Christmas, I was sitting out front when everyone started to look at me, I turned my head and there was Kite sat on a pole ring next to my ear. I live about 15 minutes away but don’t seem to get there much. I would definitely recommend it to any tiggers.

I've not been for years and I am planning on going back.
If I posted a thread in the meet up section would any of you be interested?

I'm another that will strongly recommend THC I went there as a child with my school and have been a few times since, i'm planning on taking my daughter there this half term. They really do fly low over your heads in the woodland arena area! The owls in particular are uncannily quiet. I had a terrible camera when i last went and the only copies of the few photos i took i had to rescue from previous forum posts lol hopefully will be more successful this time around...
full

actually I went with a forum member too (though I met him on dpreview and not here but is/was a member here too).
If you do organise something I might be interested in joining if dates work out :)

Went there 5 years ago and it was great fun. Was planning to go again this summer/spring.
Was trying out my new A7 at the time, shot these with a 16-35mm lens @ 35mm!
Had to dig deep to find these lol
13969921141_2621bc170a_b.jpg

14835913323_9e4c31b60a_b.jpg
35MM! Love these!
...I had a terrible camera when i last went and the only copies of the few photos i took i had to rescue from previous forum posts lol hopefully will be more successful this time around...
It's the limitations of the operator that is my problem, not the camera :LOL:

@hashcake It's a ferry journey for me, but I'd be interested in meeting up. I don't think I've ever visited that part of the forum before

Last edited:
@hashcake It's a ferry journey for me, but I'd be interested in meeting up. I don't think I've ever visited that part of the forum before

I'll watch this thread and let you know once I've posted in the meet up section of the forum.
Sundays seem to be ideal for most people but as we know, these are busy days for families so a week day might be better.
I'm currently thinking May as I already have a meet up planned for June.

actually If you do organise something I might be interested in joining if dates work out :)

I'll keep you updated but at the moment I'm going to suggest May if it works for you.

Not 100% sure but I believe these are the same people that put on the flying exhibition at Longleat Safari Park or at least they did a few years ago when I was last there. And as you are all saying it was a great experience with the birds skimming the tops of our heads.

Back