Traditional anniversary gifts.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
So far I've stuck to the UK list of traditional wedding anniversary presents. It's our 4th soon and the list says linen and I'm a bit stuck so can anyone suggest anything?

I know she wants a new waterpik as her existing one failed yesterday, this was a warranty replacement for the previous one so they're obviously rubbish and I'll have to get a different make/model next time but other than that I'm struggling for a linen gift. A token linen thing will do and I'll get her something else and hopefully we'll be able to head out for a day out and a meal so really it's just the linen thing that's stumping me.

Any suggestions?

Clothing - hat, trousers.... or a linen shopping bag?

Yup. But I hardly notice these things. Unless it's a car or a camera lens or at a stretch a watch I'm pretty stumped and looking for inspiration on Amazon, I haven't felt any yet :D

Thanks but I think those are a bit too household object to be thought of as presents for her and this is the problem as many of the things I'm seeing don't really look like anniversary presents to me. Same for a waterpik.

At a stretch I could consider silk but silk isn't linen, as far as I know.

I think the linen present might have to be a just a token thing with the main thing being something else. We'll hopefully have a day and meal out but it would be nice to give her a nice present too.

Go traditional - fruit or flowers. Or combine them and get her a floral print linen dress.

Don’t bother! Was our 11th wedding anniversary the other day and we just saved our money! We have been together 21 years in total though! Maybe that’s why.. :exit:

Diamonds just get it over with

She's an odd sort I suppose. She's from a sort of high middle class family (Thailand seems a bit tiered, a bit class obsessed maybe) and her father was a gem dealer so you'd think she'd be into a bit of bling but she doesn't like anything which could be thought of as ostentatious or anything like that so gold and diamonds sort of fall into that category. I have managed to get her some more toned down silver and even some white gold but anything too showy would be frowned upon. She's also a bit... stingy. When I first met her sister one of the first things she said, in a conspiratorial way, was "You do know she's stingy?" :D And that seems to extend to my/our money and presents.

Flowers are a bit of an issue too as she grows everything and would probably see cut flowers as murder :oops: :$

She's a bit of a one for smartphones and tablets and I've offered both or a computer but all offers were declined :banghead:

I think I'll take a look at floral nightgown or bathrobe, just typing this as Duncan posted above :D and I like Heathers lateral thinking above so that or something like it is an idea.

Thanks all. It's helped :D

See how much thought and effort I put into this? :D I always manage better presents than she gets me :D

Last edited:
Flowers are a bit of an issue too as she grows everything and would probably see cut flowers as murder :oops: :$

Lateral thinking - a Flax plant.

How about really nice, high quality bespoke pen? If that sounds interesting then give me a PM and we can discuss (hopefully I won't get a rap on the knuckles for this).

How about really nice, high quality bespoke pen? If that sounds interesting then give me a PM and we can discuss (hopefully I won't get a rap on the knuckles for this).
You might ;)
I'll let it go as you are trying to be helpful.
But please don't pimp goods or services on the forum anymore thanks.

We had a busy day today but I'll try and make my mind up soon. I'll come back and let you all know what I go for, just in case some of you can't sleep :D

Agree about getting a nice linen dress, plus these are really comfortable to wear during summer! Not so sure about the floral print, though, not everybody likes itbut if she likes it then it'll hit the nail in the head. You can also think of making an anniversary slideshow with your wedding and family photos and use a linen texture picture as the background. It's kinda subtle but still. Here is a list of thematic wedding slideshow apps, but I think the whole stylistics would fit the anniversary theme, too.

Agree about getting a nice linen dress, plus these are really comfortable to wear during summer! Not so sure about the floral print, though, not everybody likes itbut if she likes it then it'll hit the nail in the head. You can also think of making an anniversary slideshow with your wedding and family photos and use a linen texture picture as the background. It's kinda subtle but still. Here is a list of thematic wedding slideshow apps, but I think the whole stylistics would fit the anniversary theme, too.

I'm not sure about a dress as she's not a dress person and in fact I've only seen her in a dress twice, once at a friends wedding and she changed after the ceremony and once at our wedding and at ours she took a bag with some jeans and a top and again changed immediately after the ceremony. Some sort of robe thingy is a possibility though.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a dress as she's not a dress person and in fact I've only seen her in a dress twice, ones at a friends wedding and she changed after the ceremony and once at our wedding and at ours she took a bag with some jeans and a top and again changed immediately after the ceremony. Some sort of robe thingy is a possibility though.

OK just buy the robe already!!!! Some of us need to get some shut eye!! :ROFLMAO:

Hello All.

I'm just calling in to update you all with my decision :D

I decided I wanted Linen so went for a pure linen bathrobe and two pairs of 3/4 trousers which she wears a lot. They're a mix of Linen and cotton as I couldn't find any pure linen ones in the blizzard the internet threw at me. My sister says that linen creases a lot so maybe this is why it's mixed with cotton? I'm only guessing. I got two pairs because I'm not sure she'd like one is it's a sort of gathered high waist thing. I think they look nice and I think she'll like them but my sister who was helping me didn't like them so just to be sure I got the two pairs, those and a rather plainer looking but still very nice pair. I also got a rose gold bangle. She dislikes anything ostentatious and that includes yellow gold so I normally stick to white gold/silver/other metal but I thought I'd see how she feels about rose gold, hopefully it's not too ostentatious for her. When we first met she had hardly any jewellery, maybe just the one jade bangle, so I've been trying to slowly increase her little collection of non ostentatious jewellery :D Oh, and a while back I also bought her a nice jewellery box. She tends to wear something different every day so hopefully this rose gold bangle will fit into the collection without being too ostentatious :D

I think it's maybe a little odd or maybe just interesting that she has this aversion to yellow gold and anything "showy" as her father was a gem dealer so surely she got to see a lot of nice things? Maybe exposure to all those expensive things turned her against them? Whatever :D I hope she'll be happy with my choices :D

She also likes bars of whole nut and dark chocolate so I'll get her some of that too.

Thanks all for your help and advice :D

It's wooden next year :D

Hello All.

I'm just calling in to update you all with my decision :D

I decided I wanted Linen so went for a pure linen bathrobe and two pairs of 3/4 trousers which she wears a lot. They're a mix of Linen and cotton as I couldn't find any pure linen ones in the blizzard the internet threw at me. My sister says that linen creases a lot so maybe this is why it's mixed with cotton? I'm only guessing. I got two pairs because I'm not sure she'd like one is it's a sort of gathered high waist thing. I think they look nice and I think she'll like them but my sister who was helping me didn't like them so just to be sure I got the two pairs, those and a rather plainer looking but still very nice pair. I also got a rose gold bangle. She dislikes anything ostentatious and that includes yellow gold so I normally stick to white gold/silver/other metal but I thought I'd see how she feels about rose gold, hopefully it's not too ostentatious for her. When we first met she had hardly any jewellery, maybe just the one jade bangle, so I've been trying to slowly increase her little collection of non ostentatious jewellery :D Oh, and a while back I also bought her a nice jewellery box. She tends to wear something different every day so hopefully this rose gold bangle will fit into the collection without being too ostentatious :D

I think it's maybe a little odd or maybe just interesting that she has this aversion to yellow gold and anything "showy" as her father was a gem dealer so surely she got to see a lot of nice things? Maybe exposure to all those expensive things turned her against them? Whatever :D I hope she'll be happy with my choices :D

She also likes bars of whole nut and dark chocolate so I'll get her some of that too.

Thanks all for your help and advice :D

It's wooden next year :D

She is a very lucky lady! :)

Very good and I feel specially honoured as you took my suggestion. I shall sit here in great smugness for the rest of the day! :ROFLMAO: :D

If she doesn't like it it's your fault. You do realise that?

:D

I didn't set out insisting on a bath robe but to be honest it was one of the few thing I could find which was described as being pure linen.

We have a development...

Mrs WW is allergic to the world or just about and has had a rash on her legs so was desperate for some more 3/4 length trousers to ease the rubbing of full length ones on her lower legs and asked me to take her to the shops to get some so I gave her the two pairs I'd bought as anniversary presents. She loves the gathered waist band ones and liked the more ordinary ones too but sadly they're rather thin and you can see dark underwear through them so as she's embarrassed to wear them I've requested a refund and they're going back.

I googled creased Linen and some people seem to like the look so I showed the article to Mrs WW and I think she likes the look too. I've ironed the new ones as they were creased straight out of the plastic bag and she'll have to make her mind up on what look she wants to go for, creased or ironed, later once she's worn them a bit :D

So, for her anniversary present she's now getting a linen robe, a bangle, a big bag of cashew nuts and a big bar of Cadburys whole nut chocolate.

We have a development...

Mrs WW is allergic to the world or just about and has had a rash on her legs so was desperate for some more 3/4 length trousers to ease the rubbing of full length ones on her lower legs and asked me to take her to the shops to get some so I gave her the two pairs I'd bought as anniversary presents. She loves the gathered waist band ones and liked the more ordinary ones too but sadly they're rather thin and you can see dark underwear through them so as she's embarrassed to wear them I've requested a refund and they're going back.

I googled creased Linen and some people seem to like the look so I showed the article to Mrs WW and I think she likes the look too. I've ironed the new ones as they were creased straight out of the plastic bag and she'll have to make her mind up on what look she wants to go for, creased or ironed, later once she's worn them a bit :D

So, for her anniversary present she's now getting a linen robe, a bangle, a big bag of cashew nuts and a big bar of Cadburys whole nut chocolate.

You maybe could have bought here some white undies, too. Save sending the trousers back. :ROFLMAO:

Mrs WW in her 3/4 length trousers which she got early as she's been suffering from a rash and was looking for some 3/4 trousers. She wanted this picture to show her friends her new trousers :D

Uq730I5.jpg

Last update and Thank You.

It was our anniversary yesterday and the Linen robe was a big hit and she wore it last night :D and she wore her 3/4 trousers for our day out.

So, the traditional presents were the 3/4 trousers and robe and just as fillers she got a bangle, some whole nut chocolate and a big bag of cashew nuts which are here favourites :D

ejace73.jpg

I think it's wood next year.

Last edited:
Better make sure you can get wood for that then!!! ;)

I've got quite a while to think about it. One thought I did have was for a Buddha but the recent trend from Thailand is to avoid them as some aren't placed with respect. The last time I was there there were none in the shops.

FWIW, the Thai style Buddha looks better in metal than in wood, unlike the "happy" (fat!) (and actually Budai rather than Buddha) who looks better in wood. IMO, of course! Mrs Nod has several and has asked about placement of them (direction they should face etc.) and there seems to be no consensus, other than "with respect".

One thought I did have was for a Buddha but the recent trend from Thailand is to avoid them as some aren't placed with respect.
I have one among my Bonsai collection, he is looking due East.
As he has a light smile, I guess I got it right.

I was a bit disappointed as just about everyone has one but me.

The problem is the height they're placed at. Apparently the Thai government now disapproves of selling them as some are placed disrespectfully low, on the ground in gardens etc., which is apparently frowned upon as they should be at a respectful height. Mrs WW has hers on top of something so that's ok.

Shouldn't be directly on the ground but any sort of pedestal/platform to keep his bum clean is apparently OK.

any sort of pedestal/platform to keep his bum clean is apparently OK.
Pretty much where mine sits a low slate plinth

Reactions: Nod
The last time I was there we went to a shop that I'd seen have a couple of shelves full of buddhas and elephants and the like and they were all gone, not one left. It was the same everywhere we went. This was in Chonburi.

Just on the question of to iron linen or wear it creased. She's decided she wants the trouser belt ironing but not the trousers. As she's never ironed a thing in her life (a pampered life...) I'll iron just the belt for her. She wears the robe every night but I don't know if she'll want it ironing yet as she's yet to put it out for a wash. Maybe she'll just go for ironing the belt again.

Back