South-West England Trafalgar Way - and linked photography competition

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
My dad has a keen interest in maritime history, particularly around the life and times of Horatio Nelson, culminating in the battle of Trafalgar. He's a member of a charity called the 1805 club whose aim is "to preserve and care for the memorials and graves of those associated with the sailing navy of the Georgian era.". Within this remit, they are currently raising awareness of the 'Trafalgar Way' - the route taken by Lt Lapenotiere from Falmouth back to the Admiralty in London (just south of Trafalgar Square) to share news of the victory and the loss of Nelson in battle.

To raise awareness of the Trafalgar Way, there is a photography competition to capture part of the route in photographic (or 2D artistic) form, a postcard from the route if you will.

I wanted to share this here because the route is long so no doubt several dyxummers lives or travels intersecting with the route somewhere, but also to raise awareness of this interesting history (that I've been enduring through my father for the last 30+ years :))

Even if not entering into the competition, perhaps we can share any photos along the route for inspiration?

Horatio Nelson wiki here
Battle of Trafalgar wiki here
Trafalgar Way website (inc. competition details) here
1805 website here

Last edited:
This would almost certainly be the route he took as he left Exeter: the bridge and causeway at Clyst St Mary, now bypassed by the A3052...

Clyst St Mary Bridge fisheye E-PL5 P1140014.JPG

Back