Tragic news from ZSL London Zoo

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Today the beautiful Sumatran Tiger, Melati died whilst being introduced to a new mate

https://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/melati

I've seen her a few times, she had 3 litters, the first of which died, with her previous mate who moved to another zoo a short time ago
So sad, she was a stunning creature

It is tragic but sadly an example that no matter how well the keepers think they have interpreted the big cats behaviour, they can react in unexpected ways :(

Do I recall there was a similar incident late last year but at another collection???

It is tragic but sadly an example that no matter how well the keepers think they have interpreted the big cats behaviour, they can react in unexpected ways :(

Do I recall there was a similar incident late last year but at another collection???

Not that I can recall, but quite possibly.

You recall correctly, a male tiger killed a female at Copenhagen zoo last year.

Today the beautiful Sumatran Tiger, Melati died whilst being introduced to a new mate

https://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/melati

I've seen her a few times, she had 3 litters, the first of which died, with her previous mate who moved to another zoo a short time ago
So sad, she was a stunning creature
Very sad to see one of these amazing creatures die in such a way. It shows that even in controlled conditions, you can never be too sure how the big cats will react. Remember the incident last year when the female lion killed the father of her cubs! Such an unprecedented situation.

You recall correctly, a male tiger killed a female at Copenhagen zoo last year.
Not sure it was male killing female???
Very sad to see one of these amazing creatures die in such a way. It shows that even in controlled conditions, you can never be too sure how the big cats will react. Remember the incident last year when the female lion killed the father of her cubs! Such an unprecedented situation.

This is the one I think I recall.........plus that it was mentioned here at TP!

Not sure it was male killing female???

It was, I had forgotten as it was in Copenhagen, same thing, new male moved from Russia killed one of the females

It was, I had forgotten as it was in Copenhagen, same thing, new male moved from Russia killed one of the females
I was not doubting or challenging the Copenhagen incident but was addressing the two reports that @jakeblu posted ~ as I could not recall reading/hearing of the first one but did the lion death.

PS reading my own post .......I should have added a "the" as in '......... not sure it was the male killing female???'

Last edited:
We take their habitat away, kill them as we wish, build concrete gaols for them and cry when some of the last few die.

We are in the biggest ever species loss this planet has ever seen, and it is out fault.

Bookmark this thread, and add to it it the next years.

That's true Steve, but in the wild they have room to run and avoid each other. I'm not blaming the zoo they are doing their best to keep the spieces alive when it's all going TU in their natural habitat.

Very sad.
I remember when one of her first two cubs drowned. :(

Forgive me.
Melatonin had 2 cubs in 2013 but separate pregnancies.

Ok so I am talking Melati and Jae Jae at London Zoo

Melati gave birth to the 1st sumatran tiger cub born at London for 17 years
on 22.9.13 which drowned 2 weeks later,

She then went on to have triplets on 3rd Feb 2014 and twins in June 2016

No idea who or where Melatonin is/comes from

Ok so I am talking Melati and Jae Jae at London Zoo

Melati gave birth to the 1st sumatran tiger cub born at London for 17 years
on 22.9.13 which drowned 2 weeks later,

She then went on to have triplets on 3rd Feb 2014 and twins in June 2016

No idea who or where Melatonin is/comes from

T'was a typo. :)

Back