Trail cam overexposure

Edit My Images
Yes
Any suggestions how to stop over-exposure on a cheap trail cam apart from having the camera further away?

I was thinking maybe covering the PIR to try dull it down?

Its not the end of the world but would be better without the large hot spot, cheers

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Our trail camera does the same at times.

I think covering part of the IR light is a good idea. It will make the range of the illumination less but could help with the problem when animals come close to the camera.

You could also try raising the camera. I tend to use our camera close to the ground because I like the POV it gives, but I find it makes over exposure more likely.

I have heard some cameras handle this problem better than other, but have no experience of them.

I think Gramps, on here, has a camera that copes with this pretty well.

Dave

over-exposure on a cheap trail cam

Unfortunately the two go together, better equipment has a different type of I/R that does not flood the subject.
Having had experience of I/R CCTV installations, I never found or heard of a successful way of reducing the glare to nearer subjects on this type of I/R.
The Apeman H70 (China) has the better I/R at around £70 but it has other issues that will annoy you if/when they crop up ... the Browning Recon Edge at £200+ is the Bee's knees.

I know what you mean. Our trail camera does the same at times.

I think covering part of the IR light is a good idea. It will make the range of the illumination less but could help with the problem when animals come close to the camera.

You could also try raising the camera. I tend to use our camera close to the ground because I like the POV it gives, but I find it makes over exposure more likely.

I have heard some cameras handle this problem better than other, but have no experience of them.

I think Gramps, on here, has a camera that copes with this pretty well.

Dave

Unfortunately the two go together, better equipment has a different type of I/R that does not flood the subject.
Having had experience of I/R CCTV installations, I never found or heard of a successful way of reducing the glare to nearer subjects on this type of I/R.
The Apeman H70 (China) has the better I/R at around £70 but it has other issues that will annoy you if/when they crop up ... the Browning Recon Edge at £200+ is the Bee's knees.

Thanks chaps, I think I'll do a couple of nights experimenting in the garden, stick a bit of tape over a couple of the IR sensors, see how I get on. Its a 10 minute drive and 15 minute walk to where I have the badger feeding, not a problem but not really ideal either, will be much easier trying at home. We have a Hedgehog coming round most nights, I'll go put it out and I'll report back tomorrow, cheers

. the Browning Recon Edge at £200+ is the Bee's knees.

Keen but not that keen Roger :LOL:

Quick update, I placed some masking tape over what I guessed would be the two main IR sensors and was surprised how little effect it had but it was slightly better :thinking:

Will try again tonight and stick some over the 4 top outer ones, see what that does.

trail cam.jpg

Back