Training in Isolation

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Since the lock down, we have been covering athletes training in isolation. Here are some of my offerings.

I tried to stay away from the usual types of images that were being produced by others, instead opting to go for sports that would be visually interesting.

1. 2019 BMX World Challenge U8 Boys Finalist, UK and Leinster No1 and All-Ireland 2019 Champion Evan ‘The Bullet’ Bartley, age 9, from Clonee, Meath, trains at at Lucan BMX track, Dublin.
More Images Here
1901678.jpg

2. Irish sprint canoeist Jenny Egan during a training session at Malahide Yacht Club in Dublin
More Images Here
1901738.jpg

3. Irish Paralympian Patrick Monahan during a training session at Mondello Park in Naas, Kildare.
More Images Here
1902138.jpg

Last edited:
4. Cabinteely FC footballer Kevin Knight during a training session at Killiney Strand in Dublin.
More Images Here
1902614.jpg

5. Irish No.1 ranked tennis player and Davis Cup team member Simon Carr during a training session at his home in Westmeath.
More Images Here
1902658.jpg

6. Royal Canal Kayak Club members Richie Wagstaff, from Ballyfermot, left, and Keith Shanahan, from Glasnevin, take part in a training session along the Royal Canal in Ashtown, Dublin.
More Images Here
19034231.jpg

Excellent work as usual :)

Cheers, K.

Hope things are ok your end during these times.

Cheers, K.

Hope things are ok your end during these times.

A lot better from 5pm today with another three months support from the government announced :)

Another training in isolation. Irish triathlete Emma Sharkey trains at her home in Belfast.

The only reason I set up this shoot was to try and use the underwater housing I bought for my camera over a year ago. After a couple of experiments, it's turns out Irish water, both in land, and the sea, isn't the clearest. So the next option was a pool. Even then these needed a good edited to being them back.

It was another good learning curve. Turns out holding you breath, looking through an eye piece and shooting is actually hard to do all at once! Also, the water, even in a pool, is very murky, so I had to opt for a 16-35mm.

More images here

1904797.jpg

Some well thought out work Seb, always good to see something different .

As a footnote, coming from an underwater photographers background, if you have bought a dedicated underwater rig, then to get the best over/under splits you need to use the largest dome port you can get and go as close as possible - if you can stomach using a fisheye lens then even better. That way you have a better chance of getting a really thin water line and more visible image in the underwater part

Mike

The housing I have does have the option of a dome on the front, but it wasn't something I went with originally, as I wasn't appear of it's advantages. I only purchased the entry level kit, as it worked out at exactly the same amount as a refund I got from BA when they delayed me a day coming home from a match in Gibraltar!

I have looked into the additional dome since shooting this feature, and will probably purchase in the near future. The next experiment will also be how to introduce off camera flash.

The housing I have does have the option of a dome on the front, but it wasn't something I went with originally, as I wasn't appear of it's advantages. I only purchased the entry level kit, as it worked out at exactly the same amount as a refund I got from BA when they delayed me a day coming home from a match in Gibraltar!

I have looked into the additional dome since shooting this feature, and will probably purchase in the near future. The next experiment will also be how to introduce off camera flash.

Which housing did you get? I'll try and point you in the right direction

I have the Outex housing for Nikon, and 77mm lens filter size. I bought the pro kit which will fit a 70-200mm lens, knowing I'll probably not ever use that really, but better to have that and not need it, than suddenly want it!

Not a brand us divers would use, but you do have the option of the 180mm dome which would be the best option for splits.

For off camera flash you might be able to rig something up, as the modern way is to use fibre optic cables to fire the strobes so you may be able to trigger them with an on camera flash, fibre optic cables and a little DIY. Best brands to look out for are inon and sea & sea

Mike

Couple of recent attempts. These were shot for Circle K petrol stations, who are sponsoring the swimmer I think, so branding was important/difficult. Hard to brand a naked man.

We used a smaller bodied camera, my 10 year old D700, so we could fit the pocket wizard trigger on top to trigger a couple of speed lights just above the water.

Still a learning curve.

1907695.jpg

1907697.jpg

Thanks!

Was tricky with the sun coming in and out, shiny perfectly through the roof windows onto our spot. Prefer the exposure in the bottom one, although don't like what the 16mm has done to the hands!

Back