Travelling with a compact pt 1 - Hong Kong

odd jim

Flimsiest Lambresta
Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
This year I went on an epic trip - Hong Kong, Borneo, Singapore, New Zealand and Vietnam. I made the agonising decision to leave my Canon 6d at home and took only a Sony RX100 mk1. I needed to be small and light for obvious reasons. In the main, it did brilliantly. Yes, I wanted my 6d on many an occasion and no, I didn't enjoy using the RX100 as much as any of my DSLRs. But did it deliver the goods, and is a compact good enough for a trip of a lifetime?? (note though, most of my Asian landscape shots were ruined somewhat by heavy smog caused by Indonesia burning and destroying their rainforests...) Just a small selection from the HK leg.

57 by Jim, on Flickr

53 by Jim, on Flickr

42 by Jim, on Flickr

40 by Jim, on Flickr

33 by Jim, on Flickr

36 by Jim, on Flickr

22 by Jim, on Flickr

18 - taxi 2 by Jim, on Flickr

Last edited:

This thread illustrates and demonstrate, once again, that the best
camera in the world is the one in your hand when you need it!

Jim, you did some great shots and thanks for posting them!

This thread illustrates and demonstrate, once again, that the best
camera in the world is the one in your hand when you need it!

Jim, you did some great shots and thanks for posting them!

Thanks, and you're welcome :)

I think a compact camera is often good for travel as long as it's a camera you use regularly the rest of the time. I used to have a ricoh gr which i did a few trips with but it was the only camera i owned at the time so i was familiar with the way it works. My OH used to own a RX100 and I used it a few times but it seemed a bit fiddly to use fully manually (the way i prefer to shoot), but is probably fine if you get it to automatically set shutter speed/aperture and focus (the way a lot of people probably shoot).

I think a compact camera is often good for travel as long as it's a camera you use regularly the rest of the time. I used to have a ricoh gr which i did a few trips with but it was the only camera i owned at the time so i was familiar with the way it works. My OH used to own a RX100 and I used it a few times but it seemed a bit fiddly to use fully manually (the way i prefer to shoot), but is probably fine if you get it to automatically set shutter speed/aperture and focus (the way a lot of people probably shoot).
I use it in aperture priority mode adjusting that to how I want the shot and conversely, then using the ISO to obtain the desired shutter speed. Admittedly the RX100 can be a PITA to use fully manually. But then it's so small, and ergonomics and "go to" controls rule the day when shooting manual.

Jim, I am just sipping my after brunch tea and was looking at your takes.
I thought this:

honkongpp.jpg

Of course, you could do better with the RAW file!

Great shots!! I went there last year but for work so had no time to go around taking photos! This makes me want to go back!

Thanks guys! I'll post my next leg up when I get time :)

bit of a cornucopia of a world traveller there
a compact means its small...but as we can see takes big pictures

no 2 in your first post gets my no 1 vote

cheers
geof

Thanks guys!

What I find amazing is that there is not a building standing from when I was there in 1953. But the star ferries seem to be the same.

Wow, these really are great coming from a compact. Will be getting one of those soon for my travels.

Cheers guys :)

Some great photos there Jim. I was in Hong Kong last year armed with a Fuji X Pro 1. What a great place for street photography. You can see my photos in Flickr if you want to compare locations.

All the best, Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll take a look :)

Wow awesome set, some really stunning images here, looking forward to seeing some more :)

Last edited:
Well we can't have that can we, poor borneo Hehe...
I shall pop over and take a look, thanks for the ease of links :D

Hi Jim, these are super! I was there around the same time as you and did a similar trip (China>HK>Borneo>singapore).

I love the shots... they're better than mine and I took the 6D.!
Thanks Joe! I must admit though I did miss my 6d and lenses most of the time, and would have had a much better keeper rate :)

Still I think the RX100 did a great job, especially for a compact!

Back