B&W Tree and Lake Black and Whites

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Camera time has been fairly limited recently and when I've been out the light has been quite drab - these two are monos I took from a trip into some local woods where sporadic light broke through, and from Wastwater where the light was awful so had to try and find something slightly different and be a bit creative with exposure and processing:

Leading by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr
Stark by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Wow! Your first take is absolutely delicious!

I dig both renditions, very tasteful!

Last edited:

Wow! Your fist take is absolutely delicious!

I dig both renditions, very tasteful!
Thanks Kodiak - the first was taken with an old Nikkor 50mm AI-s M/F lens which I picked up in a charity shop, must be 25 years old, it's an amazing lens and gives fantastic sharpness. Can definitely in future invisage a time just going out with a bag full of primes rather than zooms.

going out with a bag full of primes rather than zooms.

Appreciating the old primes is cool but the
new zooms are not like the old ones! :cool:

I got 4, covering 14mm to 400 mm, that can't
be shy at all!

Appreciating the old primes is cool but the
new zooms are not like the old ones! :cool:

I got 4, covering 14mm to 400 mm, that can't
be shy at all!
I'm just surprised that when comparing the sharpness/contrast of the raw files from my 16-35 F4 (a £950 lens) versus a 25yr old prime I picked up for £40 the marked difference, it's remarkable.

marked difference, it's remarkable.

Yes, may well be, but that zoom lens is
not a pro lens.

I am not taking anything away from your
primes but don't overlook the new tools!

Delicious and lustrous mono work, and yes, difficult to beat a good prime. The old ones are also delightfully compact. Mine are all over thirty years old and are just fine! The first shot here is the standout with its combination of strong tones and depth to a scene which is very evocative of its location. The second is strong but appears to be two shots compositionally.

No.1 is top stuff Stuart, I don't know how you folk do it.
I walk into the wood and see nothing but trees and crap all over the place, more like a children's bedroom :jawdrop::jawdrop:

No.1 is top stuff Stuart, I don't know how you folk do it.
I walk into the wood and see nothing but trees and crap all over the place, more like a children's bedroom :jawdrop::jawdrop:
I know what you mean! I'm by no means an expert but I like the challenge of trying to simplify an often cluttered scene. For me the same principles apply in terms of looking for decent light, and obviously a composition. The first bit is infinitely easier than the second bit mind!

Oh that first shot is...well, delicious.
I love everything about it.

The first is lovely with great processing.
The second I like but I needs a rethink on the processing for me.

Oh that first shot is...well, delicious.
I love everything about it.
Thanks very much

The first is lovely with great processing.
The second I like but I needs a rethink on the processing for me.
Thanks Alf, yeah I'm going to look at the top half and maybe soften it a touch, I like the blacks and detail in the rocks but the top is competing too much with them

Back