Edit My Images
No
50158605352_8e7e661093_b.jpg

Schneider 58mm XL
Ilford HP5+
Developed in XTOL

Trevose Head Lighthouse

Last edited:
Might be worth posting that in the film section, I'm guessing from the fact it's a Schneider lens that it's large format?

It's a nice photo, the foreground detail is great although for me the lighthouse feels a little lost.

Tagging some filmies for input @Harlequin565 @FishyFish @Asha @Mr Badger @StephenM @Andysnap :)

I agree with the comments above.

The lighthouse has a definite skew to the right, but the horizon is level, so I'm assuming either some distortion caused by the lens or something done in post-production?

I think it might work better with a shorter exposure too as the smoothed clouds and sea are making it look a little flat. Or, alternatively, the long exposure might work better with a colour film as that would add seperation between the large blocks of land, sea and sky.

Nice photo though and the sort of location that I'm envious of.

I actually like it "as is". The lighthouse seems to have been the object most easily "found" rather than lost :).

If it were straightened, it could only be done by effectively removing and replacing, as a simple rotation would have a significant effect on the horizon.

Personally, I prefer it as it is. It raises questions for me, stimulates ideas and generally makes the image even more interesting.

@sirch Thanks for tagging me so that I could enjoy it.

Last edited:
Nige posted while I was typing. I like the long exposure effect on the water, especially the misty effect it gives around the rock. The sky doesn't bother me, as it still looks natural - perhaps I see different skies, or skies differently!

Oh dear that Lighthouse looks drunk :) an easy fix in Photoshop, I would do it only you have NO as a photo edit option

Les :)

Might be worth posting that in the film section, I'm guessing from the fact it's a Schneider lens that it's large format?

It's a nice photo, the foreground detail is great although for me the lighthouse feels a little lost.

Tagging some filmies for input @Harlequin565 @FishyFish @Asha @Mr Badger @StephenM @Andysnap :)

Many thanks Les!

Yes its 4x5 film.

The lighthouse was so small in the frame I waited until it switched on (about 9:30pm) so it was more noticeable. It probably need a 72mm or a 90mm lens to zoom in on the lighthouse more. I have a 150mm but that might be too much...

Last edited:
The leaning lighthouse bothers me.

Can you straighten in LR?

The camera was pointed down (about 15 degrees) and had front tilt applied to shift the plane of focus from the foreground and out to the lighthouse. That probably distorted everything in the corners.

Is there some distortion control in Camera Raw? Next time I might position the lighthouse more center-frame and keep the camera level to keep the lighthouse straight...

I agree with the comments above.

The lighthouse has a definite skew to the right, but the horizon is level, so I'm assuming either some distortion caused by the lens or something done in post-production?

I think it might work better with a shorter exposure too as the smoothed clouds and sea are making it look a little flat. Or, alternatively, the long exposure might work better with a colour film as that would add seperation between the large blocks of land, sea and sky.

Nice photo though and the sort of location that I'm envious of.

Distortion was due to pointing the lens down and applying front tilt. I have never tried any distortion correction on LF scans, investigating now...

It was a nice location but very windy (robbed a lot of sharpness). The light switches on about 20 minutes after sunset so the exposure time went up to 5 minutes at f16 (iso200, 2 stop center filter).

I actually like it "as is". The lighthouse seems to have been the object most easily "found" rather than lost :).

If it were straightened, it could only be done by effectively removing and replacing, as a simple rotation would have a significant effect on the horizon.

Personally, I prefer it as it is. It raises questions for me, stimulates ideas and generally makes the image even more interesting.

@sirch Thanks for tagging me so that I could enjoy it.

Many thanks for your comments Stephen!

The darker it got the more the brighter the light shone. Around 10pm there was a nice beam starting to emit from the lighthouse and it would of made an even better photo...

Many thanks Les!

Yes its 4x5 film.

The lighthouse was so small in the frame I waited until it switched on (about 9:30pm) so it was more noticeable. It probably need a 72mm or a 90mm lens to zoom in on the lighthouse more. I have a 150mm but that might be too much...
Head over to Film and Conventional - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/talk-film-conventional.56/ particularly - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...graphy-group-from-zero-to-hero.504894/page-55 for some like-minded banter. And welcome aboard.

BTW - its Chris :)

Last edited:
I correct converging/diverging verticals/horizontals in Photoshop CS2. The problem is that it also changes the shape of the image to trapezoid rather than rectangular, requiring cropping.

The very oddity of the leaning lighthouse adds an extra dimension for me. O.K. I admit to being fanciful, having an overactive imagination, and a great propensity to eisegesis (English translation - I read a lot into things that probably aren't there) but I took away the thought of the lighthouse struggling against the strong winds from the sea. Others just saw a camera fault. Such is life :)

The lighthouse does as others have said seem to lean to the right but tbh I don’t think it is due to any lens distortion .
The op mentions having the camera faced down slightly but mentions not if the rear standard was pulled back to vertical ..... if not then that in itself will have had an effect.
Even if the levels of the camera and it’s standards are not questionable then the actual location of the lighthouse in relation to the perspective to how we physically view it from the ‘camera’ location could maybe cause an optical effect / illusion as it appears to be situated kind of around a corner of the coastline.

Overall it is a very nice image , the long exposure works well imo and the wait for the lighthouse light to illuminate has been worthwhile.

To some it may not be technically perfect but assuming that it pleases the op, that really is not important. If I believed it was, from a personal POV I would have almost zero printed photographs in my portfolio!

Thought I'd better reply as I was tagged. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of landscapes, although like pretty much everyone else I'll photograph them if the chance arises and there's nothing better to do (a bit like watching telly) ;). Personally, I think the photo looks better without the lighthouse, so it's probably easier just to clone it out. Other opinions may vary though.

Back