Tried something new

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
I Usually take a few shots of our church events, and this year they held the Christmas fair in the Body of the church.
i had two option ... to use flash or to use I high ISO... either would have worked.
However Both were pretty boring, so I wanted to experiment with longish exposures. moderate apertures and no more than !SO 800.
It turned out that at Aperture F3.2 most would have an exposure of around 1/10 second.
Now with my naturally shaky hand and the constant movement in a bustling Church some movement was inevitable.
my thought was if I restrict the final image size this would not be excessive if I could contain it to mostly gestures or only some of the people in a photograph.

These are a few of the least bad ones. from my trusty Fuji X30

If you click on any one it will take you to the Photobucket site where there are a few others.

Last edited:

Obviously too slow SS, otherwise ok… except for a few WB tweaks.
Exposition and selected focus point are very good everywhere!

I really do like the results. Nice to see a little bit of movement - it distinguishes from the normal static images you would have got with flash and it is so much less intrusive too. #1 is the pick of the bunch for me.

I think you've picked a reasonable selection, since I'm guessing there was too much movement in the others? I think the 1st and the 4th work because there is only really a single point of clear movement in them, being the guy with the towel cleaning his hands and the band conductor waving his baton, so if there is a softness or movement elsewhere it doesn't detract. The others are OK and will appeal to those who were there, but possibly not to the non-involved.

To answer a few of the points people have brought up...
White balance was of course a compromise between a few tungstent lights, very modern low wattage overhead lights, day light,and light though stained glass. Every shot had a slightly different mix which I balanced to my own preference.
I have put up 15 shots on photobox that you can link to by clicking on one of these. I took about 40 in all but some are semi duplicates or did not work at all.
I preselected these 15 to convert from raw as they covered what was going on.
The shutter speed as mentioned was intentional, so was not too slow, I knew the likely effect and was not wrong, however the rusult is somewhat down to chance. In situation like this movement is a strange mixture of static and moving elements, finding the right instant is somewhat difficult. But seems to show a greater reality than frozen shots.
It is the sort of technique and situation that works far better as a group of shots than looking for a single masterpiece, to give a real taste of the occasion.
In 70 years of photo taking it is not something that I have attempted before, but seems to be a technique worth investigating, It is quite different to doing full blurs through subject movement or camera and zoom movement, as it is restricted in both time and what is involved.

quite the saturday coffee morning feel at st johns irlam...my last church
the contrast will benefit from tweaking
the movement isnt all over so it gives that...alive feel
cheers
geof

Back