Scotland Trip to Harris & Lewis, Outer Hebrides.... travel advice needed please

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
According to Google Maps, my journey from Cheshire to Uig, Skye to catch the ferry to Tarbert, will take 9 hours.

Have any of you chaps done the same journey and would you have any recommendations for an overnight stop to break up the travelling? I would want to be at Uig for 08:30 and don't mind an early get up to get on the road, to be at Uig on time to check in at the ferry.

Thanks in advance for your help

I made that exact same trip a few years ago, from my home in Gloucestershire. I stayed at a B&B in Dornie so I could photograph Eilean Donan Castle, but that would mean getting up very early next morning to get to Uig.

I'd head for somewhere close to or on Skye, eg Kyle of Lochalsh or Broadford to give an easy distance to Uig.
Alternatively could you take a later ferry?

Dave

Split driving over a long day with stops and go all way to uig and stay in uig hotel. 8.30 ferry too early for morning shoot ( assuming not midsummer)

Last edited:
We did this trip from Leicester to Harris, stayed in a b&b overnight on Skye just after the bridge has our ferry was early. If you do stay in Skye take some kind of Id with you driving licence/passport, we were nearly refused at the hotel because I failed to read the small print on needing id when checking in. Have a fantastic holiday Harris is beautiful

Last edited:
We did this trip from Leicester to Harris, stayed in a b&b overnight on Skye just after the bridge has our ferry was early. If you do stay in Skye take some kind of Id with you driving licence/passport, we were nearly refused at the hotel because I failed to read the small print on needing id when checking in. Have a fantastic holiday Harris is beautiful
You needed id to stay in a b&b?
Thats unusual.

Will leave plenty of time for a couple of breaks and for if I get distracted by the landscape!

Distracted by the landscape - I think you can bet on it.

Hope you have a great time. All of the Outer Hebrides are wonderful.

Dave

Distracted by the landscape - I think you can bet on it.

Hope you have a great time. All of the Outer Hebrides are wonderful.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'm going as part of a photography workshop being run by Mark Banks and with 3 other participants. Never been on a workshop before, so will be an interesting time and hopefully, I'll learn a thing or two!

Sounds good, Nigel. Post some of your photos here when you come back.

Dave

Looking forward to seeing your photos. I spent 8 days on Harris back in October. Was a fantastic experience. The weather was mixed, mostly dry though the place is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to go back

Back