Beginner Trip to Zoo - Any hints on how to shoot through heavy fence !

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried various settings, lenses and distances to avoid heavy fence - this was my best - hints appreciated, thanks in advance (Bight sunlight and water didn't help)tiger1.jpgtiger2.jpgtiger3.jpgtiger4.jpgce

Steve, when I visit my local Wildlife Park, I use my longest lens set at it's widest aperture and get as close the the (wire) fence as possible. Dependent on the fence dimensions, I can sometimes adjust my position slightly to get central to one of the fence holes for clearest shots.
Looking at your shots above, I don't see any sign of a fence in the images so I'm not sure if I've interpreted your question correctly? :)

Russ

Last edited:
Russ,
these were the best, most are badly distorted. These appear to my eye to be slightly distorted due to the heavy fence. There was a low fence 1 metre from the main heavy duty fence so getting closer was not an option. These were taken with a 300mm lens and have been cropped to avoid worse of the distortion. Another photographer suggested a longer lens would improve image quality. Thanks for your comments.

If possible I use the right lens for the enclosure to start with. If possible with the lens hood on I rest the hood against the tip of my finger and the finger on the mesh . that way the mesh doesn't get in focus but a good guide as to how close the lens is to the mesh. Don't let the zoo keepers see you doing it. or take a pair of steps and shoot over the top of the mesh

Last edited:
I've all but given up trying to make it disappear. On the rare occasions I do find myself shooting through it, I try to frame the creature's face in a gap in the wire so the important bit is less affected. Most of my zoo shooting is done at Dartmoor Zoological Park where several enclosures are protected by wide moats rather than wire.
Get as close to the wire as you safely can and shoot through the holes with as large an aperture as possible (which is probably what the link above suggests!)

Through... (At DZP)
DSC_0226.jpgP1010012.jpg

Over... (at DZP apart from the Lynx who is at Wildwood, Escot where the tree perch is above the fence line.)
DSC_0184.jpgDSC_0220.jpgDSCF0098.jpgP1000909.jpg

These shots better describe my issues, next time I visit our Zoo on the Isle of Wight, I will definitely look to your combined advice. I may also try my luck and persuading the keepers to let me get closer with their supervision of course !lady lion.jpgdaddy lion.jpg

I quite like the way that last one has the lion's face framed in the wires. At most zoos, the fences are a fact of life, unsightly as they usually are. TBH, the jaguar(s - the old one as well as the new) at DZP puts the heeby jeebies up me when he fixes me with that "I really want to leap the moat and crunch your skull" stare as he prowls down the fence towards me!

I may also try my luck and persuading the keepers to let me get closer with their supervision of course !
Sorry to burst your bubble, it won't happen
You need to pick your subject carefully and the position of that subject in relation to the wire. And the sun in relation to the wire.
TBH it takes a lot of practice but its fun learning (y)

Canon 7DII + Canon 100-400 is MKII
Stand off barrier approx 2 meters from the wire fence.

095 by Chris, on Flickr

089 by Chris, on Flickr

129A4166 by Chris, on Flickr

Back