Tryfan

Very nice Rory- worth the hike

I have of course photographed that 'lonely tree" on Llyn Padarn - just hard to get close to it last moth I was there at 6am and there where 30-40 people there, I didn't even get out of my car
I did read later on in the week that lots of Parking fines where issued

Les :)

I like this view though - my one concern for me is the road is still very visible in any shot I see of it - and for that reason soley I wouldn't shoot it.

Nice strong light - a good example of the shot but I'd focus my attentions elsewhere.

I viewed the image and then scrolled through the comments.
I must admit, I initially thought Toni's comment a little brutal, but on revisiting the image I think he has a point.
I do respect your location and standing for this shot, yet I would also like to see it against an image from just behind the big boulder on the left; the image for me is as you have captured, but slightly more forward, with the spectacular scenery and the stream lead in.
This is not a criticism, I think it's a lovely capture, I just think there is also an alternative image waiting to be taken without the tree.

Thanks for the comments. It was almost a grab shot as the light was going fast with the incoming clouds. As for the road.....I see what you mean.

One I took a few years ago further up without a tree
original.jpg

Lovely light in the above shot. The shot I would take would be the top 3rd - maybe with a 50mm or 70 to 200 with that peak in that light. Clouds and light are minty mint on that :D. The wonderful thing about losing all foreground is from a technical perspective the exposure and DoF are all much easier to maintain,

The only way you can lose the road at this location is to go high shoot low and or go a lot further back ;-)

original.jpg

This reminds of the Quairaing on Skye - everyone goes for the little tree - and it's a lovely tree right enough. Problem is the bloody road in the shot if you frame said tree. Go along to the shark fin and you catch the grave yard unless you crop very wide. Stay ultra close to the car park and you catch the main road in the far distance.

Can be tricky but rewarding when you can manage to show the place as it would be before we came along and messed it all up.

Thanks for the comments. It was almost a grab shot as the light was going fast with the incoming clouds. As for the road.....I see what you mean.

One I took a few years ago further up without a tree
original.jpg

I like the first one but this is really the next level.

Back