Trying films on a different format

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
I've just got back the scans of a roll of Ilford HP5+ 35mm shot with my Canon AE-1 Program and a roll of Ilford XP2 120 shot with my Yashica Mat LM. Having previously shot them the other way round I was interested to see what the difference's would be. Having looked at the shots I don't think I'll be shooting HP5+ 35mm again. I like the images it produces on 120 but on 35mm it's a bit too grainy for me. Here are a couple of the shots I took, any comments are welcome as always.
Saint Annes 7 XP2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Cowling Pinnicle 2 HP5+ by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Steeton Beck in woods HP5+ 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

I find the middle one to be grainy, while the bottom one desn't seem very grainy at all. I think the main thing is to find the film and developer combination that gives you the results you prefer and then get really familiar with what it can or can't do. Do you happen to know what developer was used for the HP5+?

Thanks for the reply Peter. I'm not sure which developer was used sorry. It was processed at Harman labs so I assume it's one of the Ilford products

It's scanning them that causes grain like that. If you used a diffused light enlarger there would be nowhere near that level of grain.

I'm with you Tilly, I've never really appreciated HP5+, though my distaste for it runs to 120 as well (though not nearly so much).

I do rather love Delta 400 though

Nice shot Nige, I'll give it another go at some point no doubt :)

27654919718_62e40292bc_c.jpg

This reminds me of my childhood. My grandparents lived in Cowling in the valley.
Three pictures from last time I was there, not as a child!
Cowling_003.jpg
.. and here is my Dad shot looking towards the other end...
Cowling_007.jpg
... and here he is in the Bay Horse...
Cowling_011.jpg
Taken with a Ricohflex on Fuichrome. Shame about the vignette caused by choosing an inappropriate lens hood.

Back