Trying new editing style

All pleasing…
not only for the happy faces!

My pick is #3. (y)

I like the style Irene, I sometimes do something similar myself.
The colour tones are quite reminiscent of certain film, a bit like Kodak Gold perhaps.

Yep this look seems to be very trendy at the mo. Works very well too.

Gaz

First one is my favourite. I'm not a big fan of B&W with children as I think their skin tones are better shown in colour unless the scene specifically calls for B&W for artistic reasons but that's just my own preference. The B&W works well here though for me.

There's a nice LLF feel to the colour processing, a bit fresher/crisper than the average for this type of look - but all the better for that I think.

i really like the colour grading also. it's got a film like quality to it, i really like the slightly muted tones - certainly nicer than the proliferation of eye melting hues we see with smartphones.

No.3 for me. I'm also a sucker for b&w photos.

Can I ask how you processed these?

I like the look here, not a fan of the B&W though.

Colour grading looks spot on, as does the crushed blacks, giving a matte feel.

Unsure whether 'romantic' is the best description, given the subject lol - timeless perhaps?

First one stands out for me. The look on her face says everything about enjoying that moment.

subject is the most important of course, but sometimes processing makes things to stand out

I agree...what I am interested in is what particular method you use
I like to try out new ideas for myself
Thanks
Geof

Here are few more examples using this style. It does not work for all the photos (i like first though) and i guess the main reason is getting exposure etc right at the start. Saying that i really like the effect and will experiment more
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks! These were pre sets that I've tweeked a bit, so not too sure how to back off the effect...

Apply the effect on a new layer in photoshop and reduce the opacity to 50%

I've finally worked out what it is about the processing I find jarring. You've found some beautiful light for these pics but the processing has crushed the highlights, Consequently the faces - the brightest parts of the images - have lost some of the modelling and 3 dimensionality. As photographers we spend a lot of time and effort ensuring that our pics don't look too 2 dimensional but you've gone the other way. I don't mind the reduced shadow detail or colour toning though, that can definitely add atmosphere and make an image feel more coherent when done well.

I agree...what I am interested in is what particular method you use
I like to try out new ideas for myself
Thanks
Geof

I've bought LXCN presets from tribearchipelago and used them as a base. There is another thread on this forum i thinkn its called "first family photos in a while" and i asked the guy how he processed them and he mentioned LXCN, so i googled it. Ive posted frw more examples as a comment below in this thread. I am very keen on result, but need to play with it more

Apply the effect on a new layer in photoshop and reduce the opacity to 50%

I've finally worked out what it is about the processing I find jarring. You've found some beautiful light for these pics but the processing has crushed the highlights, Consequently the faces - the brightest parts of the images - have lost some of the modelling and 3 dimensionality. As photographers we spend a lot of time and effort ensuring that our pics don't look too 2 dimensional but you've gone the other way. I don't mind the reduced shadow detail or colour toning though, that can definitely add atmosphere and make an image feel more coherent when done well.

Have to agree with this. Pasty skin tones might be trendy at the mo because they make the pictures slightly 'different' I guess. Personally, not a good look IMHO and likely to look really awful looking back after a few years time. A matter of taste and each to their own as always.

After reading the responses on hear i realise i know even less about photography than i thought.,i love all the photos and
obviously need to develop my understanding of this whole thing about colour,lighting shading etcetc.does this just come from experience
or is it something that can be learnt as one continues in the hobby,and what are the criteria apart from personel preference that one judges a shot on?

After reading the responses on hear i realise i know even less about photography than i thought.,i love all the photos and
obviously need to develop my understanding of this whole thing about colour,lighting shading etcetc.does this just come from experience

Experience, analysing, reading, thinking, trying to work out why other people's stuff is different to / better than my own.

what are the criteria apart from personel preference that one judges a shot on?
Do you like it?
Does it move your audience in the way you intended?
Could it do its job more effectively?

I've bought LXCN presets from tribearchipelago and used them as a base. There is another thread on this forum i thinkn its called "first family photos in a while" and i asked the guy how he processed them and he mentioned LXCN, so i googled it. Ive posted frw more examples as a comment below in this thread. I am very keen on result, but need to play with it more

Thanks..I can do a bit of investigation as well
Much obliged
Cheers
Geof

Did a google and seems to be the business
Did you buy at 75 dollars
I am beginning to think presets may be for me
I have my own methods of course but are time consuming and can usually be more miss than hit
Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks..I can do a bit of investigation as well
Much obliged
Cheers
Geof

Did a google and seems to be the business
Did you buy at 75 dollars
I am beginning to think presets may be for me
I have my own methods of course but are time consuming and can usually be more miss than hit
Thanks again

Ready to use Presets for Lightroom are handy, but use them as a starting point. Try them on a number of RAW images, see how you like the results, take a look at the settings and see how those settings make the image look the way it does. Once you've done that, then you can make your tweaks from there.
If all you do is download a preset and apply it to every image without tweaking and learning how it works, you're no better than someone who just snaps a photo on their iPhone and applies a filter in Instagram.

$75 is a lot of money for presets. You'd be better served spending $75 on training to learn how to create your own style.
I've never paid for any Lightroom Presets, but I've downloaded plenty, tried them and now have created my own set that I use on my images.

Ready to use Presets for Lightroom are handy, but use them as a starting point. Try them on a number of RAW images, see how you like the results, take a look at the settings and see how those settings make the image look the way it does. Once you've done that, then you can make your tweaks from there.
If all you do is download a preset and apply it to every image without tweaking and learning how it works, you're no better than someone who just snaps a photo on their iPhone and applies a filter in Instagram.

$75 is a lot of money for presets. You'd be better served spending $75 on training to learn how to create your own style.
I've never paid for any Lightroom Presets, but I've downloaded plenty, tried them and now have created my own set that I use on my images.

ACE!!!
guess the OP would like to hear this too???
i was only chatting
cheers
geof

Back