Trying out a Nikon D3300

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Was thinking of buying a new compact, but when I seen the price of the Nikon D3300 thought I would go for one of them as their excellent value @ £279.00 with the v2 lens. I needed a lightweight option whilst I recover from shoulder and elbow surgery, which should have happened last Friday, but was cancelled on the Wednesday afternoon. Disappointing as prepared for it, now scheduled for Feb 23rd.

Manged these couple of shots using the D3300 and 300mm f4 AFS lens and 1.4tce teleconverter.

Missed focus of eye of Blue Tit but doesn't seem a bad little camera, although diving into the menus compared to the D750 will take some getting used to.

Coal Tit

Trying Nikon D3300 & 300mm f4 lens with 1.4TC by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Blue Tit

Trying Nikon D3300 & 300mm f4 lens with 1.4TC by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Nice shots Simon.

There's no doubting that the D3xxx series are good models - it's just all the menu diving that put me off and made me upgrade in the end :)

Glad to see you're enjoying that 300mm + tc! (y)

Thanks Wez.

As a lightweight camera it made sense to me rather than a compact or going to another CSC. I started with a Canon 1000d then quickly changed to a D3000, then D7000 etc.....to D750 now. Initial impressions it's smaller than I remembered the D3000 and diving into the menus is maybe not so bad as I shoot in manual. The set-up and options are poor compared to the D750, but that's to be expected at the price point.

Looking at the IQ of the pics I posted above, I can see the camera being a useful addition for me and I gain another 150mm. Even when going out to the Football, Clare can just chuck it in her bag as it's small enough and probably smaller than the Fuji Xt1 and Xpro1 cameras she carried in the past..

Yes enjoying the 300mm and TC, the Nikon TC is so much better than the Kenko ones I have had in the past.

Back